The detail procedures for a changeover using a ropewalker

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

The detail procedures for a changeover using a ropewalker

Postby copelandcaver7 » Dec 18, 2006 8:22 pm

I have been looking for a detail step by step procedures for a ropewalker doing a changeover, maybye with some pictures. Anyone know were I can find that? Also is there a certain way you should set up your ropewalker on your mailion rapide biner Thanks
copelandcaver7
Occasional Poster

Postby fuzzy-hair-man » Dec 19, 2006 1:58 am

I might have a dig at answering this one as no one else has:

A ropewalker is more popular in the US than it is here so I'd be looking in US based vertical caving books eg "On Rope" or there are several others, there is a NSS bookstore that may have them.

A word of caution a book does not replace an experienced vertical caver to instruct you, the best way to learn this stuff in IMO is from someone who experienced with it. I would not try a manouver such as a change over for the first time without someone experienced about to help in case it goes wrong.

I general I don't think I would be wrong in saying any mid rope manouvers are tricky when your using a ropewalker so get someone to help.

How to do it depends a bit on your system, there are a few variations to the ropewalker system which may mean depending on your system the best way may differ. So before anyone can answer they might have to know a bit more about your system, ie does it use Gibbs or a chest roller ? do you have a QAS (Quick Attachment Safety).

I recomend finding someone experienced with ropewalkers to help you out.
fuzzy-hair-man
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: NUCC

Postby Dane » Jan 4, 2007 8:50 pm

The New Revised Edition of "On Rope" (NSS Vertical Section) gives verbal and graphic instruction on how to perform a changeover (pg 300).
The use of a QAS or Cow's Tail is strongly recommended.
While it is highly encouraged to practice this and other mid-rope techniques, it is certainly best to do so in a controlled environment versus at height.
Dane
"Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed."
http://www.myspace.com/daneinchattanooga
Dane
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Dane
NSS #: 57919
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Chattanooga

Postby Ralph E. Powers » Jan 4, 2007 11:11 pm

Dane wrote:The New Revised Edition of "On Rope" (NSS Vertical Section) gives verbal and graphic instruction on how to perform a changeover (pg 300).
The use of a QAS or Cow's Tail is strongly recommended.
While it is highly encouraged to practice this and other mid-rope techniques, it is certainly best to do so in a controlled environment versus at height.

:exactly: That's exactly right! So when are you wanting to continue your training my padawan?
Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible. ~ Reinhold Messner

http://ralph.rigidtech.com/albums.php
Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 37616

Postby Dane » Jan 5, 2007 5:57 am

Oh, it's coming!
My son just spent a bunch of his money on a helmet, lights, kneepads, gloves, etc.
Made some pretty good choices too!
And I think his primary interest is in doing SRT.
I am recovering from Christmas, and will probably have to get some tires for the old clunker this week, but rope and climbing gear is next on the list for me as well.
Oh, don't you worry young man! You will tired of seeing the The Dane Clan soon enough!
Dane
"Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed."
Dane
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby George Dasher » Jan 5, 2007 1:41 pm

We went through this before in a previous discussion board.

Maybe someone could pull up the thread.
George Dasher
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16643
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Charleston Grotto

Postby tagkaver » Jan 5, 2007 3:49 pm

practicing in a tree with a pulley has always been my best personal way of learning to do changovers.
i practice with both climbing systems i use: the ropewalker and the frog. this was much easier than having to learn on an in cave drop or when the need really arrives when it is necessary to do one of these manouvers.
Jon Cammon(tagkaver)
Jackson County Grotto
Cullman Grotto
NSS 39428
tagkaver
Frequent Poster

Postby Dane » Jan 5, 2007 11:33 pm

That is my plan as well Jon.
I took the 3 day basic vertical class from Bruce Smith, so I feel confident that I know WHAT to do - now it is time to practice what I have learned, to the point that my reactions are second nature.
And I also agree that a controlled environment is the best place to learn new ascending systems, changeovers, simulate equipment failure, etc. By becoming intimately familiar with the various systems and the hows and whys of their workings, I think both my son and I will become better rope technicians.
So, even before I lay down the cash for a climbing system, I'm buying some rope!!!
Dane
Dane
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to On Rope!