What material is your attachment maillon made of?

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Zircal (Aluminum)
29%
Galvanized Steel
26%
Stainless Steel
42%
Titanium
3%

Total votes : 31

Postby Rick Brinkman » Dec 17, 2006 12:21 pm

I was wondering what everyone uses and why.

For my personal harness, I have a titanium half round. I got lucky and found it at a local climbing store(for only $15)

My spare harness has a galvanized steel half round.
Caves are rare and precious things. Cavers...even more so. Treat each accordingly.
NSS#42385(not current...give me a reason to change...(Sept 2010))
http://www.CoffeeCreekGear.com
Rick Brinkman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: mt_vertcaver
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Montana-Independent

Postby Ralph E. Powers » Dec 17, 2006 12:59 pm

My attachment mallion is stainless (which is a laugh because it ain't shiny no 'mo) and I have a stainless x-lrg steel biner also as an attachment. Nothing beats the peace of mind and security of steel. :grin:
Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible. ~ Reinhold Messner

http://ralph.rigidtech.com/albums.php
Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 37616

Postby volica » Dec 17, 2006 5:06 pm

Actually stainless means "Stains Less". It is just matter of time :whistle:
volica
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 57781

Postby NZcaver » Dec 17, 2006 5:20 pm

Good question.

I've always used Zicral maillons. I have two old galvanized steel ones somewhere - one delta and one half-round - but I've never used them on my harness. Non-stainless steel maillons tend to go rusty pretty quick even if you clean them regularly (and stainless ones do eventually too). Although there are many cavers like Ralph who stoutly believe you can't beat the peace of mind and security of steel, I've never felt the need to go that way.

Of course the Minimum Breaking Strength of Zicral is less than steel, but it's much lighter too. But how many cavers out there use all steel carabiners for caving any more? (Besides that one that Ralph has. :wink: ) Sure, steel hardware is still commonly used for rescue/industrial applications, bolt maillons, and those tiny oval maillons that are really handy to keep in your kit. But for a harness maillon, the 20kN+ MBS of Zicral (for 3-way loading) is more than adequate to do the job.

I currently use the Petzl Omni Triact half-round Zircal carabiner (aka maillon), and I'm happy with it. I have a bunch of the standard Zicral maillons that are perfectly fine too - I just like the functionality of the Omni. That's my 2 cents, anyway... :cool:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby pacaver » Dec 17, 2006 5:32 pm

I had an aluminum one until I opened it during practice and couldn't get it closed. The threads seized so severly that when I put it in a vice and used a wrench the maillon bent without loosening the nut. Glad it didn't happen in a cave! The next day I ordered a stainless steel one and haven't had problems since.
Kevin Dunleavy
York Grotto
MAKC
SCCI
NSS
pacaver
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 47644

Postby caverdoc » Dec 17, 2006 5:59 pm

I agree with NZCaver--I use/love my Petzl Omni except I use the screwgate version. I've read in multiple French online articles/journals that the "inox" (stainless) versions tend to "spring" out of alignment of their own accord. My spare harness has a Zicral on it. I have about a dozen assorted maillons for seat closures, but reallly only use the Omni now due to its ease of use.
Many is the time I have stood in a frozen field, cursing my jammed carbon steel maillon as the cold winds blew....
Dr JK
caverdoc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jay Kennedy
NSS #: 18198
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Kansas City Area Grotto + Carroll Cave Conservancy + WVACS

Postby fuzzy-hair-man » Dec 17, 2006 6:17 pm

caverdoc wrote:. I've read in multiple French online articles/journals that the "inox" (stainless) versions tend to "spring" out of alignment of their own accord.

We have had our steel mailions do this, the trouble being once someone has put the two harness loops into the mailon they generally rest for a while, (your harness should be tight) so the two harness loops pull the two ends in different directions and stretch them apart then the threads no longer line up and the mailon get tight to do up. We try to teach club members to do up the mailon as quickly as they can so they don't stretch, it's a good habit for safety purposes anyway. Also try not to breath out until the mailon is done up.

Good thing about steel mailons is that steel (to my limited knowledge) retains a large amount of it's strength after being deformed and bent back. So as long as you can make the threads line up your right. :kewl: Aluminium as I understand looses a fair amount of it's strength after being bent only once. :sad: (if have ever tried bending 1 or 2mm aluminium sheet and found you didn't get the angle right and bent it back you'll know what I mean, it mostly breaks)
fuzzy-hair-man
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: NUCC

Postby Rick Brinkman » Dec 17, 2006 7:59 pm

Oops, looks like my fingers got tangled up when I made the poll. I meant Zicral....
Caves are rare and precious things. Cavers...even more so. Treat each accordingly.
Rick Brinkman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Ralph E. Powers » Dec 18, 2006 10:37 am

caverdoc wrote:Many is the time I have stood in a frozen field, cursing my jammed carbon steel maillon as the cold winds blew....
Dr JK
Then those are the times to use your leatherman which has a nice set of pliers to help UN-JAM those pesky steels. :grin:
Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible. ~ Reinhold Messner

http://ralph.rigidtech.com/albums.php
Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 37616

Postby Adam Byrd » Dec 18, 2006 12:50 pm

pacaver wrote:I had an aluminum one until I opened it during practice and couldn't get it closed.

I've also had this happen, and resolved the problem with a steel maillon as well. My thoughts are that some grit got into the threads. Most of the caves I've been in also have little pieces of grit lying about, so I would hate to have a repeat performance on such a vital piece of equipment. I'll lug around a few extra grams for the "security of steel."
Adam Byrd
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 56537
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Team Poseidon

Re: What material is your attachment maillon made of?

Postby hank moon » Dec 18, 2006 7:55 pm

Rick Brinkman wrote:I have a titanium half round. I got lucky and found it at a local climbing store(for only $15)

Haven't heard of a Ti maillon - what is the brand? Picture?

hank
hank moon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Stridergdm » Dec 18, 2006 8:54 pm

To be honest, I'm not sure what mine is made out of.

However, I've come to realize I put on my harness differently from everyone else around me. I do it two legs at a time. ;-)

Seriously. Most people I've noticed keep all the straps buckled and undo their mallion.

I do just the opposite. I keep my mallion closed at all times and put on my harness and redo the buckles.

Basically this keeps me from getting the mallion hooked in wrong, or the order of my equipment getting messed up.

And looks like keeps the grit out of the threads. :-)
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Greg Moore
Primary Grotto Affiliation: RPI Grotto

Postby mgmills » Dec 18, 2006 9:19 pm

Stridergdm wrote:However, I've come to realize I put on my harness differently from everyone else around me. I do it two legs at a time. ;-)

Seriously. Most people I've noticed keep all the straps buckled and undo their mallion.

I do just the opposite. I keep my mallion closed at all times and put on my harness and redo the buckles.

Basically this keeps me from getting the mallion hooked in wrong, or the order of my equipment getting messed up.

And looks like keeps the grit out of the threads. :-)

:exactly: I use the same technique. It works better for me because I'm always caving in different types of clothing of different thicknesses and I have to adjust the buckles anyway.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby Rick Brinkman » Dec 18, 2006 10:26 pm

Both of my Half Rounds are made by Maillon Rapide.

Here is a pic of both side by side. The galvanized is on the left.

Here is a detail of the Ti. Note the "T" on the left and the strength.

Here is a detail of the Galvanized Steel(got this one from IMO). Note the "A" on the left and the strength.

They both have the same strength - 25 KN along the long axis and 10 KN along the short axis. However, the Galvanized one is considerably heavier.

There were 2 in the store when I got the Ti. I was kicking myself that I didn't get both, but a caver friend eventually got the other. When I mentioned to my friend that I thought it was titianium, he went back and asked the shop owner. The shop owner looked up the order and found that they were indeed Ti.

I once thought I found a chart that told what the metal those single letters stood for, but I don't know where it is. What are the letters for Zicral and Stainless Steel??
Rick Brinkman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Rick Brinkman » Dec 18, 2006 11:26 pm

Well, maybe I'm wrong and I have a Zicral....

I went to the manufacturer's site:

http://www.peguet.fr/

Here's the page for the Half Rounds:

http://www.peguet.fr/fr/produits/EPI_in ... _rond.html

Kinda hard to read in French, but the strength of my "Ti" matches up with the Zicral. But, why does the site say the galvanized strength is 45KN and mine is stamped 25KN?
Rick Brinkman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Next

Return to On Rope!