Polish Knot

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Polish Knot

Postby Scott McCrea » Nov 6, 2006 10:10 am

The Polish knot: (as described in Alpine Caving Techniques, page 73)
"Polish knot, or double lark's foot: This knot is rarely used but can be quite useful as a mid-rope knot, placed directly in a carabiner. Compared to a girth hitch, it has an extra bight around the carabiner, preventing any slippage under the weight of the user. This isn't the case with a single girth hitch, which should not be used. The Polish knot is particularly convenient at rebelays because it is easy to adjust the slack in the rope."

I have used this knot several times and found it worked well. It's simple, easy and quick to tie. Certainly not appropriate for some, even many, situations, but a nice one to know.

Has anyone else used this knot?
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby fuzzy-hair-man » Nov 6, 2006 6:13 pm

Thanks for explaining :grin: another reason I have to get a copy of Alpine Caving Techniques.(working on it) :kewl:
fuzzy-hair-man
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: NUCC

Postby chh » Nov 7, 2006 10:22 am

I've seen this knot before, but usually use a clove hitch instead.
Scott, do you pretty much use this knot in place of a clove, or are there circumstances in which the polish knot outperforms the clove? I played around with the polish knot a little, but haven't fully weighted it and then tried to adjust it, but it doesn't appear to offer any more resistance to adjustment than the clove.

Cool knot.
Your words of caution are no match for my disaster style!
chh
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: caleb
NSS #: 55745

Postby Scott McCrea » Nov 7, 2006 10:45 am

chh wrote:do you pretty much use this knot in place of a clove, or are there circumstances in which the polish knot outperforms the clove? I played around with the polish knot a little, but haven't fully weighted it and then tried to adjust it, but it doesn't appear to offer any more resistance to adjustment than the clove.

I haven't used it enough to say which is better where. I have never used it on a rebelay. I have used it for dragging stuff and ferrying packs/gear. I have weighted it and then adjusted it--which was easy, but not as easy as a clove hitch. More testing/playing around is necessary.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Return to On Rope!