Golondrinas ropes: what did you use

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Golondrinas ropes: what did you use

Postby caverdoc » Oct 29, 2006 8:34 pm

Just a strange thought: what kind of rope do you use for Golondrinas? I'm assuming a custom length, say 1200 feet (low side?). Has anybody used the Petzl Vector static 11mm?
I guess PMI will be the big favorite.
Thanks in advance!
Dr Jay
"Gear head, in a 12-step program"
caverdoc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jay Kennedy
NSS #: 18198
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Kansas City Area Grotto + Carroll Cave Conservancy + WVACS

Postby Steven Kesler » Oct 30, 2006 3:36 am

A polyester core extremely low stretch rope gives you the advantage of ascending only a couple of cycles before you get off the ground. When I climbed out of Golandrinas on an older 11mm Bluewater I had to climb about 10-15 meters before I left the ground :-). However, I do not recommend the use of no stretch/extremely low stretch rope if you are new to SRT. Extremely low stretch ropes are VERY unforgiving when it comes to shockloading. Some extremely low stretch ropes have less stretch than steel cable. I would recommend accompanying a competant person for a few trips if planning to use an extremely low stretch rope.

Steven
Steven Kesler
walbatross.blogspot.com
Steven Kesler
Infrequent Poster

Postby caverdoc » Oct 30, 2006 8:24 am

Steven
Thanks, that's exactly the kind of info I'm seeking. I'm very experienced at vertical with the exception of realllllly big pits. I rapped the NRG bridge in the late '70's when the only way to do it was sneak over at night and drop the catwalk. I've been caving since 1977 and decided I'd like to work up to Fantastic in Ellisons and Golondrinas before I turn 50 in a few years. I've got a 600' PMI new on spool in box in the basement, just never seem to have the time to set up an Ellison's trip. I have enough friends in the TAG area I don't need a rope (they have plenty), but I may be coming into some ching-ching in a few months and thought about buying a rope for Golondrinas. Then it's a matter of coaxing some midwest cavers into making the trip!
Any help is appreciated!
Dr J
caverdoc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jay Kennedy
NSS #: 18198
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Kansas City Area Grotto + Carroll Cave Conservancy + WVACS

Postby caverd » Oct 30, 2006 9:25 am

For our trip in 1996, I bought a spool of Highline (1,270'). It worked great. We also tied two PMI ropes together (700' & 600') so we would have two lines in the pit. There's nothing like passing a knot 600' in the air! Both lines worked very well. The Highline is just a bit stiffer than the PMI, but provided a wonderful smooth rappel and climb.
caverd
Occasional Poster

Postby cob » Oct 30, 2006 11:45 am

PMI both times I was there.

caverdoc wrote:and decided I'd like to work up to Fantastic in Ellisons and Golondrinas before I turn 50 in a few years. I've got a 600' PMI new on spool in box in the basement,

If you have exactly 600 feet make sure you rig off the bolts in the attic. The "natural" rig will leave you 20-30 feet short.

tom
If fate doesn't make you laugh, then you just don't get the joke.
cob
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » Oct 30, 2006 12:00 pm

cob wrote:If you have exactly 600 feet make sure you rig off the bolts in the attic. The "natural" rig will leave you 20-30 feet short.

re: Ellison's, just a reminder that the Attic bolts have recently been determined to be questionable and their use is discouraged. But if you live way out on the edge and still want to use them, and a 600' rope, tie a small knot and be prepared to tie a piece of webbing or something to the bottom of the rope as it should reach when it's stretched/loaded but may not when it's empty. It's hard to climb a rope you can't reach. ;-) Don't ask how I know this... The best option with 600' of rope is to rig the Balcony.

re: 'drinas, I've never been but someday I hope I'm lucky enough to be able to do it with someone that has Petzl Vector or a similar low-stretch rope. :woohoo:
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Return to On Rope!