rescue knots

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Postby Steven Kesler » Oct 30, 2006 1:56 am

NZcaver wrote:Using Reef Knots (aka Square Knots) and Sheet Bends for joining ropes?? :?

Sure they could be used to join ropes (with Double-Fisherman safeties on the tails, of course)... but does anyone do this as common practice, especially with rescue (2-person) loads?

Most rescue responders don't normally place joins in mid-rope, but if they did I doubt it would be a knot that weakens the rope as much as a Reef Knot or Sheet Bend will (ie more than 50%).

Of course, by definition, a bend is used to join two ropes; therefore, one would not generally find a bend mid-rope :-). Bends are common in a rescue situation anytime a single rope is not quite long enough ;-). That's one reason folks learn the skills necessary to pass a knot through a raise or lower system (standard practice for technical rope rescue systems, at least for the Cave Rescue Team, San Bernardino County, CA).

As far as reef knots are concerned, I did not propose their use, but I have seen the reef knot used as a bend in some caving manuals (in that case, the reef knot is immediately backed up by a double fisherman's knot. I don't recommend the use of the reef knot for most folks simply because even though it is a simple knot, it is often tied incorrectly (in that case, it usually manifests itself as a thief knot - quite scary). I would rather folks tie a knot they know how to tie and is safe (even if harder to untie after loading) before they try their hands at something like a reef knot. Not to mention there are probably other more appropirate knots.

That being said, knots are yet another tool for us to keep in our toolkit of knowledge, to pull out to solve those interesting problems that inevitably face us as we rig in unusual situations - like cave rescue.

That brings up an interesting point: I have not seen test data in regards to the breaking strength of a reef knot when used as a bend and backed up by a double fisherman's. That would be an interesting test to perform if anyone has some extra rope and a slow pull testing machine.

As far as the sheet bend, it is essentially a bowline, a knot which is commonly depended upon in a rescue situation. The bowline is actually quite a strong knot. Sheet bends have been used in the shipping industry for years. The large hawser lines of ships would sometimes be tied together by a sheet bend because they were both strong and easy to untie after loading. It seems if the sheet bend could withstand forces generated by a large loaded cargo ship, they must not be all that bad ;-).

I don't happen to have test data on hand for the breaking strength of sheet bends. I will have to dig through some of my boxes to check on that. Someone else may have that data closer to hand... There has been a debate as of late as to whether the bowline or the figure eight is the stronger knot. I have seen credible data supporting both sides. Of course, I would be pleased if you had any knot testing data that could persuade rescue personnel either one way or another.

I believe that in a rigging situation it is a common calculation to figure that a knot in a rope weakens the rope by about 50%, so a few percent one way or another probably makes little difference. Again, if you have good empirical data to support the argument the sheet bend is an inherently weak knot (or even the bowline), please post so we can all make an informed decision.

As far as who would commonly use a sheet bend in a rescue situation, last year I took a Rigging For Rescue (Reed Thorne) technical rope course where they utilized the sheet bend for many applications in their rescue systems.

Also, here in New Zealand, Kip Mandeno is a huge proponent of the use of the sheet bend in rigging (including technical rope) as well as many of the other folks at SARINZ (Grant Pratley and others) who teach technical rope to the rescue folks here.

Again, the bottom line for rescue rigging (and personal rigging for that matter) is: 1) Is it safe? and 2) Is it adequate for the task?

(Please note this is not a flame. I have the utmost respect for rescue personnel - mostly because I am one. Informed discussions like this are a great venue for folks to work out the positives and negatives of any given situation. We can all learn something from the VAST experience of the folks involved here. Sometimes it's good to think outside the box :-)
Steven Kesler
walbatross.blogspot.com
Steven Kesler
Infrequent Poster

Postby geoff » Oct 30, 2006 2:30 am

I should add that
typically I would certainly not bother with a reef knot in the middle of a double fishermans, if on-rope. Here I would tie a plain Double Fishermans with the tails tied as another Double Fishermans for security and as the clip-in loop.

The reef knot just makes it easy to untie if you are doing this operation "off-rope" and have time to think about it

My normal rope ends are each pre-tied with TWO half double fishermans which serve as end knots and as preparation for threading the rope for just a straight forward tie of the two Double Fishermans mentioned above

I guess the common practice for SRT rope joining in UK is a Double Fishermans method, (some may perfer a Fig 8 loop replacing my pref for tying a second double fishermans)

Perhaps the alternative main knot here in UK is a Fig 8 loop (making safety loop) then threaded with new rope and with a half double fish tied on its upper tail end. This has one argueable advantage of being able to clip into the pre-tied fig 8 loop on the rope end while you sort yourself out.

For rescue we would have "correct lengths" with no knots !
Indeed tying SRT ropes together is not common for us and avoided

Geoff
geoff
Infrequent Poster

Postby Steven Kesler » Oct 30, 2006 3:16 am

geoff wrote:2.
My normal rope ends are each pre-tied with TWO half double fishermans which serve as end knots and as preparation for threading the rope for just a straight forward tie of the two Double Fishermans mentioned above

Right. That's the way I pictured you tying the knots - the half fishermans are backups to the reef knot. The double fishermans completes the safety loop and serves as yet another backup for the reef knot.

geoff wrote:3
I guess the common practice for SRT rope joining in UK is a Double Fishermans method, (some may perfer a Fig 8 loop replacing my pref for tying a second double fishermans)

Perhaps the alternative main knot here in UK is a Fig 8 loop (making safety loop) then threaded with new rope and with a half double fish tied on its upper tail end. This has one argueable advantage of being able to clip into the pre-tied fig 8 loop on the rope end while you sort yourself out.

I should point out that by far the most common bends I have seen in use in technical rope rescue systems (and personal rope as well) are the figure eight/flemmish bend and the double fishermans (still, while these knots are quite strong, they can be a bit difficult to untie if heavily loaded).

I should also point out that typically one does not see safety loops tied into a bend in the mainline (for example). But, it could be conceivable that a double sheet bend backed up (rethreaded and backed up with an overhand - hard to picture in your head, but simple if you saw it) could be used. Would this be a common bend in a rescue situation - probably not.

In many rescue situations it is desirable to not add more weight to the mainline if possible by having the attendant ascend their own rope (in which case, if a long enough rope is not available, you would want a bend to include safety loops for the attendant's SRT use.

geoff wrote:For rescue we would have "correct lengths" with no knots !
Indeed tying SRT ropes together is not common for us and avoided
Geoff

Certainly if one has available the perfect length of rope for every drop encountered, why not use it? However, I have the feeling that's not always possible. I would definitely aim for no knots to work through the system, but that may not always be possible. It is entirely conceivable (read as probable) a rescue team may encounter a pitch which is longer than a single AVAILABLE rope, requiring two or more ropes to be tied together to reach the bottom.

There is of course always the possibility a knot can be introduced into a system even if you have the "correct lengths," such as when a rope is severely damaged - to the point where one needs to tie a knot in the line to isolate a damaged part of rope ;-)

Steven
Steven Kesler
walbatross.blogspot.com
Steven Kesler
Infrequent Poster

Postby NZcaver » Oct 30, 2006 8:41 pm

Steven Kesler wrote:Of course, by definition, a bend is used to join two ropes; therefore, one would not generally find a bend mid-rope :-).

Of course - my bad. I meant joining/bending ropes in mid-pitch or mid-span. Though not generally desirable, I realize in some some situations this cannot be avoided. Hence one should practice passing knots while raising and lowering rescue loads, traversing tyroleans, and so forth.

As for the slow-pull testing of the Reef Knot and Sheet Bend - yes, it would be interesting to see some results. I just took a quick look through the various data I have, and can only conclude these knots are missing because they are (or should I say were) seldom considered "normal" rigging/rescue knots.

As far as who would commonly use a sheet bend in a rescue situation, last year I took a Rigging For Rescue (Reed Thorne) technical rope course where they utilized the sheet bend for many applications in their rescue systems.

Also, here in New Zealand, Kip Mandeno is a huge proponent of the use of the sheet bend in rigging (including technical rope) as well as many of the other folks at SARINZ (Grant Pratley and others) who teach technical rope to the rescue folks here.

This is interesting. Since I've just returned to NZ on a visit, I may have to dig up some of my old contacts for a chat about such things... :wink:

(Please note this is not a flame. I have the utmost respect for rescue personnel - mostly because I am one. Informed discussions like this are a great venue for folks to work out the positives and negatives of any given situation. We can all learn something from the VAST experience of the folks involved here. Sometimes it's good to think outside the box :-)

I agree completely. Even the old dogs can learn new tricks. :grin:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby fuzzy-hair-man » Nov 2, 2006 6:27 pm

Steven Kesler wrote:That brings up an interesting point: I have not seen test data in regards to the breaking strength of a reef knot when used as a bend and backed up by a double fisherman's. That would be an interesting test to perform if anyone has some extra rope and a slow pull testing machine.

Let me be sure I know what knot we are taking about and how the combination would look...

Does it look something like this?

If that is true then isn't the overall strength of the join the same as that of a properly tied reef knot.
1. When a rope breaks it usually breaks at a knot.
2. The fishermans is only making sure the reef knot doesn't untie isn't it ?

So if we pull to the breaking strain of the reef knot and the rope breaks how is the fishermans knot going to save you ? you've got a broken rope before or after the fishermans knot so the fisherman's can't save you.

So shouldn't the overall strength of the join be the same as the strength of the reef knot ? BTW Vertical suggests this is just 10 % of the strength of the rope :hairpull: :shocked: :panic:

Or am I missing something here ? :question:

If I was concerned that the rope join would take a large load and I know I will have to use the ropes seperately later then I think I'd use either a alpine butterfly or a figure nine both of which have good abnormal loading strengths and are relatively easy to untie (according to Life On a Line anyway). :kewl:
fuzzy-hair-man
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: NUCC

Postby Steven Kesler » Nov 2, 2006 8:03 pm

fuzzy-hair-man wrote:Let me be sure I know what knot we are taking about and how the combination would look...
Does it look something like this?

Close. The reef knot is tied in the usual way and each tail is tied as a double overhand knot as a backup. Think of tying a reef knot to join the ropes and then a double fishermans around that. What you end up with is a double fishermans knot with a reef knot in between the two half fishermans. It should look something like this:

If you decided to include a safety loop, you could incorporate one by leaving extra long tails on the double fishermans and tying a second set of double fishermans as you have shown in the previous image.

With the reef knot "enclosed" by a double fishermans knot it may show different breaking characteristics than a plain reef knot because of the additional loops/strands/etc. involved. I have not seen any data on the breaking strength of this particular knot, which I would like to see before I used a knot like this.

fuzzy-hair-man wrote:If I was concerned that the rope join would take a large load and I know I will have to use the ropes seperately later then I think I'd use either a alpine butterfly or a figure nine both of which have good abnormal loading strengths and are relatively easy to untie (according to Life On a Line anyway). :kewl:

A figure nine bend is not an easy knot to tie ;-) What does an Alpine Butterfly knot look like as a bend?

Steven
Steven Kesler
walbatross.blogspot.com
Steven Kesler
Infrequent Poster

Postby Steven Kesler » Nov 2, 2006 8:13 pm

I should also add that at least in the case of my original proposed knot - a sheet bend with extra long tails, with the tails tied together with a double fishermans knot to form a small safety loop - the double fishermans knot tying the tails together forms a backup againsed the possiblity of the sheet bend slipping.

A correctly tied sheet bend will have both tails leading off the same side of the knot. If a sheet bend is tied so the tails are on opposite sides there is a possibility of the rope slipping - the reason you back up sheet bends (and bowlines). In either case, the safety loop acts as a backup for the knot and provides a nice safety loop to clip into when passing the knot.

Steven
Steven Kesler
walbatross.blogspot.com
Steven Kesler
Infrequent Poster

Postby fuzzy-hair-man » Nov 2, 2006 11:59 pm

Steven Kesler wrote:A figure nine bend is not an easy knot to tie ;-) What does an Alpine Butterfly knot look like as a bend?

Steven

OK, this is what I though chh was describing (I might be wrong):

Tie the double fishermans as normal (without a safety loop, that's coming) now take a bight with the newly tied double fishermans in the middle and tie a figure nine on a bight or a alpine butterfly using that bight. Abnormally loaded a nine and a alpine butterfly maintain a lot of thier strength (still not as strong as a double fisherman's though)

The loop in the rope (with the fishermans in the middle) forms your safety when crossing the knot. Sort of like this (using an alpine butterfly I don't think I could scribble a nine :grin:):

I still don't get what tying the tails back on the reef knot is going to do to increase the knots strength :? it's still basically a reef knot just one that won't untie. AFAIK a knot's strength comes from how gentle the bends the rope is forced to make are so unless you change how tight the bends are it's not going to help as far as I can see.

Me, I think I'll stick to a double fisherman's :wink:
fuzzy-hair-man
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby chh » Nov 3, 2006 9:37 am

That's what I was talking about, thanks Fuzzy.

This is kind of what I thought was being discussed as well. It seems to me that what has also been suggested is precluding the loop with the DF with this knot.
Image[/quote]

I've joined ropes this way before, sans loop, because I didn't want to mess with untying the DF. But, I'll be honest, I don't know much about the reef knot's breaking strength. 10% has been mentioned, but that seems extremely low. I'd think it would be higher than that, but that's just a hunch. Also everyone is quite correct as far as I can see. The DF isn't going to increase your knot strength at all just keep it from slipping. In that case, why not just use an overhand to keep it from slipping and then the DF. Allthough, all those DF's and backups for the reef knot just smack of really wanting to incorporate the reef knot into the join. It would have to retain more rope strength than an 8 or a butterfly for me to mess with all that. In the mean time, I still think the alpine butterfly uses less rope, is more compact, and it's properties have been more widely tested than the reef:backup:DF configuration.
Your words of caution are no match for my disaster style!
chh
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: caleb
NSS #: 55745

Postby Scott McCrea » Nov 3, 2006 10:32 am

This site states that the Reef Knot (Square Knot) weakens a rope by about 65%. YMMV, FWIW, blah, blah, blah: LINK
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby knudeNoggin » Nov 5, 2006 1:09 am

Some comments about knots & various of the preceding remarks.

Knot names. Often a problem, esp. in discussions with users from
different application areas--but also often within ,say, rockclimbing.
Let's try to incorporate functional indicators:

"Fig.8 loop" (distinct from Fig.8 stopper, Fig.8 bend)
"Fig.8 double loop" (to keep "double" from inconsistent use,
as in "Double Overhand", "Dbl. Fisherman's", "Dbl.Bowline")

"Munter Hitch": 'Munter' should have no umlaut? over the 'u',
nor the simple-type equivalent 'eu'; but as Swiss Munter was
but a messenger, of a hitch whose belay use was pioneered
or at least first strongly advocated by Italian climbers, who
named it "Mezzo Barcaiolo" (one of whose names has those
same initials "MB"), I'd like to move towards a unifying name
of "Munter Belay Hitch" to also share in the shorthand "MB
hitch"! --a fair goal, IMHO We can all agree with "MB".

"Dbl.Overhand Bend"/"Dbl.Fisherman's Knot/Barrel ...
I think various issues with these names can be avoided by
using "Grapevine Bend" (and "Dbl.Grapevine Bend" for
the "Treble/Triple Fish."--there's a good point in this!).
Traditional nautical naming had "Fish.KNOT" as the bend,
and "Fish.BEND" as a hitch (which, btw, is a different
orientation of a double Overhand structure--i.e., each
can be shifted into the other, topologically equal).
The overwraps of the Grapevine number one (zero in
the (single) Fish.--just a plain overhand), thus in the
Dbl. two, and so on--a nice match of an observable
functional feature with the nomenclature's modifier.
And what one ties as a back-up is clearly NOT this
knot! Here, "Strangle knot" is appropriate.

I prefer the figure nine to a figure 8 as it's stronger in every way and it won't roll of the end of a rope when abnormally loaded.

One might challenge this assertion by pointing out that in the
exhaustive testing of usage the knots (and many others) have
proved of equal strength--i.e., knots typically don't break in use.
I don't think one will prefer to tie a Fig.9 (asymmetric) loop by
"re-threading" ("tracing" might be a better term for this)! Btw,
you might consider the Reverse Fig.9 (asymmetric) loop.
And most will prefer this Fig.9's generally easier untying,
though it can become tight, too.
I write "...(asymmetric)" to indicate that the Fig.9 knot
has a (two, actually, at least) symmetric form, one of which
works rather well for making some knots, including a loopknot
& mid-line stopper/knob.

knots overlap the same function (eg, bowline and fig-8 follow-through)

Though the Bowline is much easier to untie, and can be
tied after the eye/loop is sized--i.e., one need not beforehand
anticipate the point of the knot in the rope and make a Fig.8
there to later be "followed-through".

I'd also agree with Maratt's comments about learning a limited set of useful knots, rather than every one that comes along. For me it is a matter of looking up the supposed strengths ...

And where does one look up the strength? --and how does it matter?
(see above dismissal of this concern, generally) From what I've
seen in various presentation of strength data, far too little
information is given to replicate the testing that supposedly
generated the results. E.g., in each of the trace ("follow-through")
knots of common use (Overhand, Fig.8, Fig.9), there is a choice
of two ends to load; but usually the test data doesn't indicate
which end was loaded, or how exactly the knot was tied; in the
published literature, one can find images of the Fig.8 in various
dressings/orientations, and I don't presume to know which data
might apply to each.

.:. So there are a few problems with looking at strength data
for knots: (1) you don't know what exact knot is tested;
(2) the relevance to use is usually imaginary--one shouldn't
be using cordage anywhere near a knot's break point--;
(3) in some cases the relevant strength value is something
measurable only after much usage, where wear & tear on
a knot has had effect (not much an aspect for SAR/caving/
climbing maybe; more so in commercial fishing).

Does anyone know if there has been any testing on the double loop knots
for strength and more importantly how they behave if one anchor fails?
Vertical seems to suggest they can pull through and whole knot untie.

Strength should be no concern here.
Slippage might, but I doubt that there will be much at all in
the usual materials--the more worn, the less slippage. For
a Bowline in the Bight, e.g., loading either eye in isolation
pretty much gives one a Bowline; the extra material nipped
by the knot's mainline's loop will reduce the friction on the
loaded legs of the eye only slightly--too little to matter, IMO.

A Trucker's Hitch is usually a 3:1 MA - not accounting for inefficiency due to friction, of course.

It's helpful to do a little experiment with these supposed MA
structures to see what actual MA is--use some dead weights,
and I think you'll be surprised at what LITTLE actual MA there is!
Using something like this with much force can also surprise you
with a core shot or lesser wear of the rope at the sheave point.

Of course this "abnormal" loading is really quite normal for the Butterfly Knot
- but hey, I didn't invent the terminology.

No, but you can help stamp it out! "abnormal" has been used for
some presumed "right" loading of common knots which abnormal
loading is better described as "offset"--the main example being the
infamous "EDK"/"Offset Overhand Bend" used by climbers to
join rappel ropes. The Butterfly isn't like this, and frankly the only
probable loading of it that I can think of to qualify as abnormal
is ring-loading--i.e., pulling the eye apart so that the knot
is a bend between eye legs with mainline as its ends!

A reef knot tied with exceptionally long tails these tied as a Double Fishermans
AND the remaining tails tied as a SECOND Double Fishermans as the safety knot and
of course forming the loop for clipping into on the knot pass, using UK SRT.

I don't follow this, and maybe it's a problem with knot names.
Strictly interpreting "Dbl.Fish" = "Grapevine Bend", then the quoted formula
you give makes a sort of big '8'--bottom joint is Reef, center & top joints are
Grapevines. And loading the spaces of the '8' will abnormally load the Reef!?

As for using a Sheet Bend, one must ensure to orient that such the
bight part (u-turn part) is made in the lower rope, as loading the
tied-off ends loop will then effectively make a Bowline of the
structure; but doing this upside-down will pull the u-part apart,
risking capsizing the knot!

[the Reef/Square knot] is often tied incorrectly (in that case, it usually manifests itself as a thief knot - quite scary).

No: tying a Thief takes deliberate effort, with unnatural tying steps;
a Reef mis-LOADED is a Thief (loaded catercorner, so to speak); a mis-tied
Reef will be a Granny (loaded catercorner this will be a "Grief"/Whatnot).
And actually, for that structure backed up with Strangle knots sometimes
called the "Square Fisherman's", the Thief is arguably better, as some
slippage will impart tension to the back-ups and thereby more ensure
that they don't loosen; and the Thief is less prone to jamming than the
Reef.

As far as the sheet bend, it is essentially a bowline, a knot which is commonly depended
upon in a rescue situation. The bowline is actually quite a strong knot. Sheet bends have been used
in the shipping industry for years. The large hawser lines of ships would sometimes be tied together
by a sheet bend because they were both strong and easy to untie after loading. It seems if the sheet
bend could withstand forces generated by a large loaded cargo ship, they must not be all that bad ;-).

I think that this is the first time I've heard of hawsers being bent
together by a sheet bend; the Carrick bend is the usual knot cited,
and much of what is shown have ends seized. I'm surprised that Dave
Richards's recently pointed-out testing of kernmantle ropes has not been
better recognized. It is at http://www.caves.org/section/vertical/nh/50/knotrope.html
NB: In all GRAPHS, the 10.5/12.5 data is switched (the table's data are correct).
Sheet & even Dbl.Sheet bends show serious slippage problems here, and
this is under tension; there would also be concern about loosening without
tension (a Bowline issue).

The Sheet Bend is not essentially a Bowline: the bend loads only two ends,
whereas the loopknot three--and that makes a significant difference in the
shape of the knots under tension, affecting both strength & security.
(Incidentally, the Reversed Sheet Bend (aka Lapp Bend), with an extra
warp of the non-bight/-U part, might be a good replacement. The extra
wrap is needed for achieving security. The knot can often be loosened
by pulling the bight legs apart, which should draw out some of the mainline
from the non-bight rope. This knot should also be more resistant to
loosening when slack.

Also, here in New Zealand, Kip Mandeno is a huge proponent of the use of the sheet bend
in rigging (including technical rope) as well as many of the other folks at SARINZ (Grant Pratley
and others) who teach technical rope to the rescue folks here.

Then I urge you to refer them to the Richards study, for that shows
serious problems with the Sheet Bend. Maybe they have anticipated
the slippage issue with precautions such as back-up stopper knots.

With the reef knot "enclosed" by a double fishermans knot it may show different
breaking characteristics than a plain reef knot because of the additional loops/strands/etc. involved.

Not because of that, but maybe because the Strangle knots--if set
snug to the Reef knot--will keep the Reef in its symmetric orientation;
often a tightened Reef has one end slide out of orientation, and maybe
this leads to a weakening?! (Another failing of knot testing is that the
point of rupture isn't specified; e.g., which rope of the (asymmetric)
Sheet Bend has the break--bight or non-bight part?)

What does an Alpine Butterfly knot look like as a bend?

--like an Ashley's #1408 gone wrong! A better choice is #1452, often
named "Ashley's Bend; this knot is very easy to untie, no matter. But
#1425 is more slack-secure.

BTW Vertical suggests this [Reef] is just 10 % of the strength of the rope

Holy Nuts, Batman, who's "Vertical" and what did they smoke?
In traditional cordage the Reef is rated around 45%.
One might try the Reverse Surgeon's Bend, which is a Reef with the
ends given one extra tuck (so one more than mainline parts); draw it
up by loading the ends such that the knot assumes a very nice look
not terribly unlike the Grapevine (loading it then will undo this form).

Beware sources: look for FIRST sources (a research principle).
The Net makes access easy, but it makes posting and echoing
nonsense easy; one stupid statement can be echoed to the point
of being a preponderance of evidence volume! (And popular knot
books are much like this: the research grounds for knot-book
authors is other books, often, and not actual usage! The
plagiarism is sometimes appalling (such as scanning images,
paraphrasing (and botching!) text).

---------
Finally, on the issue of learning a small set of knots or large,
I've some ambivalence: I understand the KISS principle, and
the need to keep a clean, uncluttered knot-knowledge space
for times of critical use under stress; but OTOH learning knots
should be enhanced by knowledge of many different structures,
provided one really tries to understand them and compare/contrast
them with others (and not merely is able to make a long list of
knots and match them to knot images and tie them).

*knudeNoggin*
knudeNoggin
Prolific Poster

Postby fuzzy-hair-man » Nov 5, 2006 7:38 pm

knudeNoggin wrote:
I prefer the figure nine to a figure 8 as it's stronger in every way and it won't roll of the end of a rope when abnormally loaded.

One might challenge this assertion by pointing out that in the
exhaustive testing of usage the knots (and many others) have
proved of equal strength--i.e., knots typically don't break in use.
I don't think one will prefer to tie a Fig.9 (asymmetric) loop by
"re-threading" ("tracing" might be a better term for this)! Btw,
you might consider the Reverse Fig.9 (asymmetric) loop.
And most will prefer this Fig.9's generally easier untying,
though it can become tight, too.
I write "...(asymmetric)" to indicate that the Fig.9 knot
has a (two, actually, at least) symmetric form, one of which
works rather well for making some knots, including a loopknot
& mid-line stopper/knob.

Yes there are some things a figure 8 does that are difficult with a figure nine ie back tying or re-threading to form a loop around a column etc. for these uses sure use a figure 8, these are also mostly near the end of the rope so abnormally loading the figure 8 is not a problem.
PS: the tests I have seen have rated the strength of the nine is above the 8 for normal loading and abnormal loadings. The fact that the figure nine better handles abnormal loading is the reason I prefer it I don't have a problem with eights in most circumstances.

knudeNoggin wrote:
Does anyone know if there has been any testing on the double loop knots
for strength and more importantly how they behave if one anchor fails?
Vertical seems to suggest they can pull through and whole knot untie.

Strength should be no concern here.
Slippage might, but I doubt that there will be much at all in
the usual materials--the more worn, the less slippage. For
a Bowline in the Bight, e.g., loading either eye in isolation
pretty much gives one a Bowline; the extra material nipped
by the knot's mainline's loop will reduce the friction on the
loaded legs of the eye only slightly--too little to matter, IMO.

OK, so a bowline on a bight survives if the carabiner blows apart, but what if wear or rope damage means the rope has broken or been cut? if it sucks the broken rope into the knot I suspect you are a goner.

knudeNoggin wrote:

This is one of the reasons I use the term suggests, :wink: I realize that a lot of the reported breaking strengths need to be taken with a grain of salt.
Vertical was written by Al Warild an Australian caver who is very well respected worldwide, I suspect he gathered is breaking strengths from other sources, he was writing a book about caving not the technical aspects of knots so personally I find this acceptable.

knudeNoggin wrote:Beware sources: look for FIRST sources (a research principle).
The Net makes access easy, but it makes posting and echoing
nonsense easy; one stupid statement can be echoed to the point
of being a preponderance of evidence volume! (And popular knot
books are much like this: the research grounds for knot-book
authors is other books, often, and not actual usage! The
plagiarism is sometimes appalling (such as scanning images,
paraphrasing (and botching!) text).

This is why when I can remember sources I briefly acknowledge them this way people can decided for themselves whether they believe the source or not.

My opinion the best way to get around confusion created by terminology is to either post a picture or a diagram of the knot you are talking about. This has already cleared up some misunderstandings in this thread :kewl:
fuzzy-hair-man
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby knudeNoggin » Nov 6, 2006 2:44 pm

OK, so a bowline on a bight survives if the carabiner blows apart, but what if wear or rope damage means the rope has broken or been cut? if it sucks the broken rope into the knot I suspect you are a goner.

What I said was to the effect that there will be no such slippage--that either
eye loaded in isolation (for whatever reason) makes a regular bowline,
roughly. But for a rope to break from wear or damage (unseen?!), that
seems unlikely (and the eyes should be seeing but half of the load, if they've
been equalized (quarter of load on each leg).

knudeNoggin wrote:

This is one of the reasons I use the term "suggests", :wink: I realize that a lot of the reported breaking strengths need to be taken with a grain of salt.
Vertical was written by Al Warild an Australian caver who is very well respected worldwide, I suspect he gathered is breaking strengths from other sources, he was writing a book about caving not the technical aspects of knots so personally I find this acceptable.

Yes, I hear that in fact the data came from a French book Techniques de la
Speleologie Alpine by Marbach and Roucourt
, and has sense in that it
refers to slippage! Bad enough, either way--'nuff said--; but if the ends are
tied off with Strangle knots, the slippage issue at best a benefit, and then one
is left with a question of strength (and before that, jamming).

My opinion the best way to get around confusion created by terminology is to either post a picture or a diagram of the knot you are talking about. This has already cleared up some misunderstandings in this thread :kewl:

Yes, that works. But language shouldn't be taking the beating it is, and there
are some vogue terms that ought to be actively snuffed--such as "Lark's Foot",
which seems to have arisen from lousy translation ("tete" has always been "head"
in French--how'd the guy come up with "foot"?!), and "abnormal" & "flat" where
"offset" so aptly serves. Knots with many names is less of a problem than the
names with many knots. :hairpull:
[ed.](Or, rather, it seems that Bill March is to blame for "lark's foot"--geesh.)

*knudeNoggin*
Last edited by knudeNoggin on Nov 7, 2006 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
knudeNoggin
Prolific Poster

Postby geoff » Nov 6, 2006 6:08 pm

Just got back from south wales UK caving
Sorry for the poor explanation

Quote:
A reef knot tied with exceptionally long tails these tied as a Double Fishermans
AND the remaining tails tied as a SECOND Double Fishermans as the safety knot and
of course forming the loop for clipping into on the knot pass, using UK SRT.

The picture shows exactly what I mean
and says a 1000 clear words.

The purpose of the reef knot is ONLY to make undoing the thing so much easier after loading. If on rope I would not use the reef knot in the join but rely 100% on one double fishermans backed up with the tails tied as a second double fishermans; a secure method making a small knot to SRT past and also forming a clip in loop

sorry for any confusion

Geoff
geoff
Infrequent Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » Nov 6, 2006 7:26 pm

As other have already stated, IMHO, the "double fisherman's reef knot," is just a reef knot with barrel knot back-ups. It has characteristics consistant with a reef knot and not a DF. It's only as strong as a reef. It's easier to untie than a DF because it's not a DF--it's a reef.

Now, I'm not discounting this knot for joining ropes. I kinda like it and would probably use it, if the situation was right. I just don't think it should be called a DF.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

PreviousNext

Return to On Rope!