SRT New "Anthron" type Double Stop Device

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

SRT New "Anthron" type Double Stop Device

Postby cavescom » Oct 3, 2005 9:53 pm

Two way rescue Stop 9mm to 13mm. I hope to have one of these devices shortly http://www.srte.com.au/twowayrescuestop.htm and technical data at http://tinyurl.com/e3noe .

The Anthron http://www.anthron.si/ which is much like this device accepts 9mm to 11mm but didn't do real well with 11mm so the fact that the SRT accepts 13mm may make it a smooth ride on 11mm. Aaron Birds review of the Anthron can be read at http://www.cavediggers.com/Anthron.pdf

Mark Passerby, Caves.com
cavescom
Prolific Poster

Postby cavescom » Oct 3, 2005 10:05 pm

Pricing for the SRT Two way Rescue Stop.....$195 au or about $150 U.S. Contact Boris at SRT.

Mark Passerby, Caves.com
cavescom
Prolific Poster

Postby mgala » Oct 4, 2005 3:22 am

the idea of the brake on the upper wheel is very good = you don't need to squeeze the grip very hard like with regular stop.

but I can imagine placing the stiff rope into it on every rebelay :roll:
mgala
Infrequent Poster

Postby jmo » Oct 10, 2005 7:36 pm

Do you think the SRT Two way Rescue Stop would be a better choice then the Kong Double Stop descender? Everestgear.com is selling the Kong for only $99 right now, but if the SRT is prety sweet I might want to go with that instead.
Life is just one good thing after another
NSS 56887
jmo
Frequent Poster

Postby CaveStar » Oct 12, 2005 2:16 pm

I'm going to be very interested in this one. As anyone who followed the vertical chats on the old board knows, I'm a fan of the the double-brake concept and I use a big old SRT double-brake model which is pretty much bombproof, though on the heavy side.

I've seen the Anthron device, though I have not had much chance to practice with it. The Oregon guy who had it did indeed say that it was hard to move on dirty 11 mm rope but he liked it for clean new 11 or for 10 and 9. Well, wet dirty 11 is one of those realities that you do have from time to time. So I have not been inclined to go further with the Anthron.

I have not seen the Kong at all and have been curious about it.

This new SRT one has some slight resemblance to the Anthron in that it looks like it would have the rope exposed as it passes through the device -- any thoughts about the good/bad of that?

I've also wondered about heat dissipation. The bigger the device, the more metal, hence the better the device is at dissipating heat so it doesn't fry the rope -- as a general statement. So, presumably, my old SRT at 18 ounces can dissipate more heat and thus be used on a longer pitch than the Petzl stop at 12 ounces, in a way somewhat analogous to how a long rack will dissipate heat better than a minirack.

In the the Northwest we mostly have shorter (40-75 foot) pitches, sometimes in series. People routinely use miniracks and Petzl stops, which are fine for pitches of these lengths and can be used on pitches somewhat longer. I would tend to extrapolate out a bit from those limits to determine my own limits, since my device is heavier. But what are those limits? People disagree.

I've heard people say that they wouldn't cave on a Petzl stop more than a hundred feet at the very outside. I've heard others say that they'd go 200. I used my SRT on a 160-footer and it was pretty warm. I would have said my speed in descending was pretty moderate; nobody said, well, you were sure hotdogging it down that there rope. At the bottom I expressed some concern about it, since I don't usually do pitches long enough for heat to be an issue, and was told, yeah, the stops will get pretty warm and it's normal and it's okay as long as you keep moving.

Well, is it really normal?

I've wondered how much farther I could go with my device on a rope before I'd be in the zone where the device would get too hot.

And for that matter, how hot is too hot? Obviously there's no way to measure it objectively under caving conditions (here, stop on that rope and let me attach this thermometer to your descender -- yeah, right!). On the other hand I don't see waiting until I've already fried a rope before saying, well, now we know what is too hot.

Comments, anyone?
CaveStar
Infrequent Poster

Postby hunter » Oct 12, 2005 6:19 pm

Hey CaveStar,
If you haven't already checkout the older thread titled "spinoff post about the stop". It has a lot of information and people's experiences.

In terms of personal use, I've used a stop on a 100M drop and going fairly slowly it was not to hot to hold at the bottom.

I have seen climbing ropes with a glazed spot on the sheath from someone rapping to fast. When they stopped to take the rope out of the device it glazed the sheath. I figure that is way to hot. My usual guess is that if I can hold the device without burning my hand I'm still ok. The times I've seen climbing ropes glazed the person had trouble getting the device off because it was so hot. (climbers use way smaller rap devices)

Hunter
hunter
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby CaveStar » Oct 12, 2005 9:00 pm

Thanks, I'll try to check it out. Between the old board, the old old board, the new informal board, and now the new board, I kinda gave up there for a while.

Still interested in people's comments about the world of double-brake devices.
El pan partido, Dios lo aumenta
CaveStar
Infrequent Poster

Postby ian mckenzie » Oct 13, 2005 12:48 pm

CaveStar wrote:I've heard people say that they wouldn't cave on a Petzl stop more than a hundred feet at the very outside. I've heard others say that they'd go 200...I've wondered how much farther I could go with my device on a rope before I'd be in the zone where the device would get too hot...Comments, anyone?
I've used my Stop on a 255m pitch with a break in the middle so, really, it was two consecutive pitches of about 130m each, on 11mm rope. It got too hot to touch but there was no glazing or damage to the rope (in fact I have never seen a glazed rope) but perhaps the cold cave conditions here are a factor in that.
ian mckenzie
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Alberta Speleological Society

Postby CaveStar » Oct 14, 2005 6:21 pm

Ian -- how cold?

I hadn't thought about temperature as a factor. Our caves are cold, too; 36-44 degrees F.

Has anyone noticed a difference in the heat their rap device attains, according to the temperature of the cave?
El pan partido, Dios lo aumenta
CaveStar
Infrequent Poster

Postby caverdoc » Oct 21, 2005 6:58 am

somebody has a couple stainless steel sideplate SRT descenders on ebay with a buy it now price of $75, :shock: bidding starts at $50. if you log onto ebay and "type descender" in the search it should pull them up.
Doc K
caverdoc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jay Kennedy
NSS #: 18198
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Kansas City Area Grotto + Carroll Cave Conservancy + WVACS

Postby caverdoc » Oct 21, 2005 7:01 am

I just checked and they're still there. Type "descender" and they'll appear near the bottom of the listing. SRTE D1 is the designation.
Looks like a sailing shop is selling them.
Doc K
caverdoc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jay Kennedy
NSS #: 18198
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Kansas City Area Grotto + Carroll Cave Conservancy + WVACS

Postby ian mckenzie » Oct 21, 2005 1:00 pm

CaveStar wrote:Ian -- how cold?
There's ice on the pitch, so one assumes it's below 0C. But I should think a greater factor in cooling would be water on the rope. There is some water falling on that pitch (which implies a water temp greater than 0C) so the rope could have been wet in places, tho I don't recall if it actually was.
ian mckenzie
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Alberta Speleological Society

Postby cavescom » Dec 4, 2005 7:01 pm

Article posted some time ago on the SRT single stop....I believe Bonnie said she used it on a 500'+ drop without problem. http://www.cavetalk.com/bulletin/viewtopic.php?t=19
My SRT single runs very smooth and a bit slower than a Petzl Stop on the same rope with a much more solid "Stop" i.e. no creep. Mark Passerby, Caves.com
cavescom
Prolific Poster

Return to On Rope!