Advice on Floating Cam System

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Advice on Floating Cam System

Postby Zach » Sep 10, 2006 2:45 pm

Anyone have any experience with the floating cam system?

What all do you need to make the system,

I currently have a frog system but would like something a little faster but with the ability to easily do technical rope work.

I know you need a handle ascender, a foot ascender and what seems to be either a chest ascender or a petzl croll.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Zach
Infrequent Poster

Floating ascender for OnRope1 chest box

Postby pacaver » Sep 10, 2006 4:13 pm

If you mean the ascender that floats above your chest box on a ropewalker which allows for hands free climbing, I've used a Petzl Microscender with good results (until I wore out the cam). I just picked up a CMI Ropewalker ascender which seems to work pretty good in practice, but I haven't used it in a cave yet. If it doesn't work too good, I'd have no problem getting another Microscender, I just like to try new stuff and see if it works better.
Kevin Dunleavy
York Grotto
MAKC
SCCI
NSS
pacaver
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 47644

Postby NZcaver » Sep 10, 2006 6:58 pm

Zach - I assume by "floating cam" you mean strapping an ascender to your foot in addition to your normal Frog system - right?

If so, Petzl make the Pantin especially for this purpose - although you could easily use another (usually non-handled) ascender instead, if you made an "ankle harness" for it.

Petzl's info on the Pantin is here - http://en.petzl.com/petzl/Produit?Produit=114 - and if you click on the link to the left of that page, you can download the user instructions (in PDF).

You can also find out more about rigging this type of system in "Vertical", which is available to view on-line here http://www.caves.com/7ASCENT.pdf

Hope this helps. :grin:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby fuzzy-hair-man » Sep 10, 2006 7:42 pm

There's the way which NZCaver mentioned (which I prefer) or there is the way described at the bottom of this webpage:
http://wasg.iinet.net.au/srt/srt.html#ropew

This method opens up the possibility of shock loading your hand ascender which is placed down at your knee and pulled up the rope with bungee cord. This is why I like the one that just adds an ascender to one foot. Mind you the system is hands free.
fuzzy-hair-man
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: NUCC

Postby Zach » Sep 11, 2006 9:24 am

so does this frog/ropewalker system work pretty good?
Zach
Infrequent Poster

Re: Floating ascender for OnRope1 chest box

Postby hank moon » Sep 11, 2006 10:11 am

pacaver wrote:I've used a Petzl Microscender with good results (until I wore out the cam).

hi pacaver

the cam on the microcender is easily replaced - it's a DIY - only takes an allen wrench or two...

hank
hank moon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby fuzzy-hair-man » Sep 11, 2006 6:50 pm

Zach wrote:so does this frog/ropewalker system work pretty good?

I have only tried the one NZCaver mentioned, it takes a little getting used to but pretty soon you can ropewalk quickly with a natural ladder climbing type action. IMO the Pantin is made for the wrong foot (most people are right handed) which means I transfer my right handed hand ascender to my left hand grasping it at the top, BUT make sure the cam is still facing you, the open side of the ascender should not face the rock as it can catch the cam and open it!
fuzzy-hair-man
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: NUCC

Postby paul » Sep 12, 2006 7:13 am

NZcaver wrote:Zach - I assume by "floating cam" you mean strapping an ascender to your foot in addition to your normal Frog system - right?

If so, Petzl make the Pantin especially for this purpose - although you could easily use another (usually non-handled) ascender instead, if you made an "ankle harness" for it.

True - a friend of mine, even though asking for a Pantin, which was in stock and also more expensive (!) was sold a normal non-handled Petzl jammer and small purpose-made harness for wearing on the foot at Caving Supplies (as mentioned in the article referred to elswhere). After borrowing my Pantin, he went back to Caving Supplies and returned the jammer and foot harness and got what he originally asked for: a Pantin!

Although useable, the Pantin is far, far better at the job. This is because the Pantin has a much weaker spring allowing the rope to pass through much easier, especially lower down pitches where the weight of the rope isn't yet enough to help pull it through the jammer attached to the foot. Also it hasn't a "safety catch" so it can be easily disengaged with a sharp backwads kick unlike a normal jammer. It is alao smaller and lighter.
paul
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Paul Lydon

Return to On Rope!