a rope climbing practice tower

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

a rope climbing practice tower

Postby bobby49 » Sep 11, 2019 3:53 pm

I have a rope climbing practice tower in my back yard. When I originally constructed it, I put a horizontal 1" PVC pipe across the top member, and I expected that the vertical rope would be moving back and forth slightly across that pipe. Now after a year, I inspected it and found that the PVC had been mostly "sawed through" by the ropes. So, I need to replace the PVC with something more durable, yet something that won't damage the ropes. What should I use, maybe a 1" steel pipe? This is completely exposed to weather and UV light.
bobby49
Prolific Poster

Re: a rope climbing practice tower

Postby NZcaver » Sep 12, 2019 5:07 am

What about using a pulley?
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby bobby49 » Sep 12, 2019 1:21 pm

I have some pulleys, but in any case the pulley will be suspended below the top horizontal member, and all of the downward tension will be at the anchor for the pulley. If I use a steel pipe, the downward force is distributed along the length of the steel pipe, so it is less likely to fail. With the rope going over the steel pipe, I'll have about one foot more of climb.
bobby49
Prolific Poster

Postby ohiocaver » Sep 13, 2019 10:41 am

All the more reason for everyone to inspect every rappelling/climbing setup before each drop. Every caver has a story of a tie-off being nearly worn through...whether inside the cave or outside. Going a year without giving it a good look-see is not a good idea. Whatever the tie-off, look at it after every couple of uses at least.
ohiocaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: curt harler
NSS #: 22735RCLFe
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cleveland Grotto MAKC

Postby bobby49 » Sep 13, 2019 12:32 pm

The old PVC pipe that had been partially sawed through by moving rope could create some problems, but it would not contribute to collapse. It was there to simply keep the rope moving smoothly and without damage. The new steel pipe should be infinitely more durable.
bobby49
Prolific Poster

Return to On Rope!