Chest roller?

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Chest roller?

Postby mullannix930 » Mar 21, 2019 9:03 pm

I am new to the vertical caving world (after getting out of caving all together until recently) but I have been a high angle rope instructor for many years (20+). I am trying to build my own rope walker system. I tried the Frog system but being quite top heavy... I'm fat but losing, it didn't work too well. I have been told that the walker tends to work better for guys like me so I am putting one together to try out. The only problem I am having is finding a chest roller. The only one I have found is a double roller and it is in the $200 range. Is there any other good alternatives out there?

I have tried to get in touch with the local Grotto but have been unsuccessful at this point.
mullannix930
Infrequent Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: ESSO Grotto

Re: Chest roller?

Postby GroundquestMSA » Mar 24, 2019 9:37 pm

I didn't read this.post before sending the pm, so my suggesting the frog wasn't meant to be pushy. Some people have built rollers, look for Clinton Elmore's demonstration on youtube. More info later
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby William Bagwell » Mar 25, 2019 8:00 am

Wish I could find mine, have not used it since the 80s. Would let it go for far less than $200!
My barn ate it :roll:
William Bagwell
Occasional Poster

NSS #: 24064
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Inactive. DCG mid 1980s

Postby mullannix930 » Mar 26, 2019 8:19 am

Never thought it was pushy at all. I am going to play with every method I can. I love knowing and playing with multiple methods for everything.
mullannix930
Infrequent Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: ESSO Grotto

Postby BaitBucket » Apr 22, 2019 7:00 am

I've never personally used a real chest box or diy roller, but I've heard that the diy rollers don't keep you as close to the rope as a proper box. What do you guys think about that?
BaitBucket
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 69623
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Return to On Rope!