8mm SS Hanger Question

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

8mm SS Hanger Question

Postby DawgsgoCaving » Sep 8, 2015 10:07 am

What kind of hangers have y'all been using with petzl 8mm self-driving anchors? I can only find 8mm aluminum hangers and a few other varieties from different vendors. I can't seem to find a good stainless one. Anyone have any experience with this?
DawgsgoCaving
Prolific Poster

Name: Josh Schultz
NSS #: 65630RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: CTG SCCi 3501

Re: 8mm SS Hanger Question

Postby Extremeophile » Sep 8, 2015 10:35 am

DawgsgoCaving wrote:What kind of hangers have y'all been using with petzl 8mm self-driving anchors? I can only find 8mm aluminum hangers and a few other varieties from different vendors. I can't seem to find a good stainless one. Anyone have any experience with this?

I generally only use self-drives for remote exploratory caving, and I just use the Petzl aluminum hangers. The self-drives are weaker in shear than many other options, and generally not suitable in tension (e.g. ceiling placements), and if left for an extended period they will corrode. The self-drive sleeves are usually plated steel, and you can use them with a 8 mm stainless bolt and standard SS hanger. These hangers usually have 10 mm (~3/8") holes, but I think they're fine to use with a hex-head bolt. If the placement is intended for repeated use over a longer period of time (e.g. more than a year), then I'd suggest using fully SS hardware and something with greater embedded depth (e.g. 3/8 x 3" wedge bolt), but the specific bolt and hanger type should be based on direction of pull and rock quality. It's still possible to hand drill these placements, it just takes a bit longer.
Extremeophile
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Derek Bristol
NSS #: 34941
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado Grotto

Postby DawgsgoCaving » Sep 8, 2015 3:38 pm

Thanks.
DawgsgoCaving
Prolific Poster

Name: Josh Schultz
NSS #: 65630RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: CTG SCCi 3501

Postby snoboy » Sep 8, 2015 5:40 pm

Raumer makes 8mm hardware in SS, including sleeve anchors. They are however, not self drilling style - so require a separate drill.

https://starlessriver.com/shop/rigging_and_bolting

Available from Starless River in the UK, but I am not sure who does Raumer in the US. Their website says that Climb High is the distributor.

http://www.raumerclimbing.com/eng/rivenditori.asp
snoboy
Prolific Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: BC Speleological Federation

Postby CaverCarl » Jun 10, 2018 8:15 pm

What's wrong with Aluminum?
CaverCarl
CaverCarl
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 36117
Primary Grotto Affiliation: CNJG

Postby trogman » Jun 13, 2018 3:48 pm

CaverCarl wrote:What's wrong with Aluminum?
CaverCarl

Aluminum actually corrodes with time and exposure to the elements. Stainless lasts practically forever, and is also much stronger.

Here is the link to buy Climb Tech hangers:

Climb Tech Hangers

Trogman :helmet:
trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Stephen Brewer
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Gadsden Grotto

Return to On Rope!