max rappel length/ figure eight

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

max rappel length/ figure eight

Postby Herman Miller » May 10, 2006 1:08 am

like the subject line i was just curious the max rappel length one would suggest when using a figure eight
Herman Miller NSS# 55273SU BOG Candidate 2010, 2012
Herman Miller
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: herman miller
NSS #: 55273
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Permian Basin Speleological Society

Postby Scott McCrea » May 10, 2006 5:42 am

I don't use my 8 for anything longer than about 75'. No reason why, that's just me. I've seen rules of thumb that say anything between 50' to 200'. But it really depends on your rope, the type of 8, how much you weigh, etc.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby hank moon » May 10, 2006 10:55 am

Scott McCrea wrote:But it really depends on your rope, the type of 8, how much you weigh, etc.

Yes, it does all depend...no hard rules on this one. The longest rap I've done on an 8 is 300' on single strand 8 mm. It got hot.

hank
hank moon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby speloman » May 10, 2006 11:55 am

I do 120 foot drops all the time with my recuse 8. But usually I use a rack for drops over 100 feet. It depends on what I want to carry in my pack and if it is feasable. The only thing about the 8 I have noticed is a slight twisting in the rope not that bad but enough to be anoying.
Justin Gleason 48217RE
:looking: If you can't grow it, I mine it.
speloman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Justin Gleason
NSS #: 48217RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Northern Nevada Grotto

Postby Ralph E. Powers » May 10, 2006 2:52 pm

I'd recommend it for no more than 125' regardless of caver weight and that they go s-l-o-w.
Typically I use if for the short drops around here which are usually less than 100'
Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible. ~ Reinhold Messner

http://ralph.rigidtech.com/albums.php
Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 37616

Postby Herman Miller » May 10, 2006 4:33 pm

alright thanks all. one day i have to muster the funds to purchase a rack but until then i'll be stuck with my $8 fig 8 :)
Herman Miller NSS# 55273SU BOG Candidate 2010, 2012
Herman Miller
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: herman miller
NSS #: 55273
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Permian Basin Speleological Society

Postby hunter » May 10, 2006 5:14 pm

I once did about a thousand feet of rappelling with 2 100M drops on a rescue 8. The rope was wet so overheating wasn't an issue but I cut almost 2mm into the aluminum on several spots, probably because the rope was very muddy....
As everyone else has said no max it depends on the conditions...

Hunter
hunter
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Tubo Longo » May 10, 2006 7:06 pm

hunter wrote:I once did about a thousand feet of rappelling with 2 100M drops on a rescue 8.
Hunter

"Mathematic isn't an opinion" was my dad used to say.

So, 1000' are 305m: if you had 2 100m drops, you still lacked some 105m, i.e. about 344'. How did you managed them? Got wings? :bat:

Cheers -- Renato
Tubo Longo
Prolific Poster

Name: Renato
NSS #: ex 29271
Primary Grotto Affiliation: CGEB SAG CAI of Trieste [Italy]

Postby hank moon » May 11, 2006 1:30 am

Tubo Longo wrote:
hunter wrote:So, 1000' are 305m: if you had 2 100m drops, you still lacked some 105m, i.e. about 344'. How did you managed them? Got wings?

oh, that was the 23 x 15' drops in between the two big ones...

hank
hank moon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Tubo Longo » May 11, 2006 2:46 am

hank moon wrote: oh, that was the 23 x 15' drops in between the two big ones...

Boy, bet he wished for true to have either wings or VERY long legs: was it called the Endless Giant Staircase or what? :laughing:

Cheers -- Renato
Tubo Longo
Prolific Poster

Postby hunter » May 11, 2006 10:02 am

:nyah: :nyah:
Hey Tubo Longo, I don't want to be insulting but try to read between the lines a little bit...

To be specific I don't remember the other drop lengths exactly. A couple of nuisance 35ft drops and a couple of 100 ft ish length ones. I included the 1000ft length (all done on the 8 in one trip with generally muddy rope) to give people an idea of what it took to seriously groove the 8. I included the 2 100M drops number (that is roughly 100Ms as opposed to exactly) because the original question was about how long a drop you can do.

And, to justify the 1000 ft number I guessed based on the depth of the cave at around 900ft and the fact that I did a couple of redundant drops at the bottom checking different pits.

James Hunter
hunter
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Tubo Longo » May 11, 2006 11:17 am

James... take it easy please... :mad2: I was just joking :kidding:

To me, to say "1000' of rappelling" means I actually rappell pits for 1000'. Which is not the same to means that I have been in a 1000' deep cave, as I'm sure we all know.
Unless of course that cave is so vertical that's made only of pits and there's no passage whatsoever in between the different drops.

So, as far as me, more than insulting you have been misleading, or incorrect if you prefer, in your statement. :big grin:

Cheers -- Renato :grin:
Tubo Longo
Prolific Poster

figure 8s

Postby NICKSCAVE » May 12, 2006 5:58 am

I personally think 8s are great for small, tight fissure drops or anything where you would not need to use your hands to assist in the drop but, I always use either use a stop or a rack on anything with very muddy ropes of small diameter or rebelays where a positive lock is DEFINATLY (sp) :doh: needed.Just my thoughts, not a rule or even a rule of thumb
Oh Boy,we may have to blast N.S.S 54295RE
NICKSCAVE
Occasional Poster

Postby hunter » May 12, 2006 4:42 pm

Tubo Longo,
Reading back my post was slightly vague but your response sounded to me more like "making fun of" instead of "joking" or honestly asking for clarification. You just criticised someone for laughing at your English in an adjacent thread so try to understand that's about how I felt reading your sarcastic post.

I'm not trying to start an argument or say your post was in any way wrong, just explaining why I had an irritated response...

Hunter
hunter
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Tubo Longo » May 12, 2006 5:37 pm

Hunter, there is no argument here, really.

I was asking an explanation, thinking of some confusion between feet and meters, like it happens to me at time. And cracked what I thought was a small joke at the end. You misunderstood and we explained each other. End.

BTW, I'm surprised you (and probably others too) got my post in another thread as if I criticized a person for laughing at my English, because, again and once more, I was cracking a joke, in that case at myself. In fact, even if I'm told that I speak a good English, I perfectly know that my accent, and my English too, isn't perfect and I do make mistakes. Like when I told a joke and my pronunciation of moron was more likely of maroon. Well, everybody got it anyway and laughed even more, at the joke and at my mistake. And I laughed with them of course. :rofl:

I tend not to take me and life too seriously: I like jokes and laughing. That's it. Because, like someone wrote (was he Antoine de Saint Expury?), if you loose the pleasure to play, then you have lost the kid from your inner soul. Basically, I'm just a grown up kids, who still like to play in the mud. That's way I like caving.... :grin:

Cheers -- Renato
Tubo Longo
Prolific Poster

Next

Return to On Rope!