Bowline variation

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Bowline variation

Postby GroundquestMSA » Dec 21, 2014 1:52 am

This knot is demonstrated as a "tugboat bowline" in a few online videos. It looks similar to what is known as a perfection knot or angler's knot but I think that there are differences. When tied, it looks like this:
I wonder if there are any disadvantages when compared to the traditional bowline. After bouncing on it a bunch with static line (in the photo is a little utility rope) it seems secure and unties easily, I suppose a stopper should be tied into the tail, though I witnessed no slippage. Do you see any safety reasons to avoid this knot in an SRT setting. I don't want to relive the Allen Dove incident of '09, so let me explain my curiosity. I don't need another rigging knot, and have no plans to use this or any other bowline for routine rope work. However, I relish the prospect of tying it like this one day and rappelling off of it for the sole purpose of terrorizing new caving companions. :big grin:
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Bowline variation

Postby Chads93GT » Dec 22, 2014 1:48 am

I use the bowline more than a figure 8. Especially a double bowline. Its way easier to adjust to equalize between anchors, and 100x easier to untie after loaded. When using a simple bowline I use the yosemite tie off followed by an overhand knot, yet again, simple to untie after weighted.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby caver.adam » Dec 22, 2014 9:21 am

My only problem with a bowline is when the knot loosens or slips on me. I wonder if the angler's knot is any better with that.
caver.adam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Louisville Grotto

Postby Scott McCrea » Dec 22, 2014 10:25 am

If you like bowlines, you'll love this: http://www.paci.com.au/downloads_public ... alysis.pdf

Bowline is my favorite knot.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Return to On Rope!