Petzl Croll Question

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Petzl Croll Question

Postby DawgsgoCaving » Apr 12, 2014 8:58 pm

I didn't see a topic specifically about this, but I apologize in advance if it was discussed in detail in another thread.

http://www.petzl.com/us/pro/safety-info ... -B16AAA-us

I doubt I'm the only person that has seen this in the caving community. Does anyone else know any recent updates about this? Thanks.
DawgsgoCaving
Prolific Poster

Name: Josh Schultz
NSS #: 65630RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: CTG SCCi 3501

Re: Petzl Croll Question

Postby driggs » May 2, 2014 10:22 am

Click the link at the top of the page, "Read the last information", for Petzl's detailed analysis of the two failed units, which had been used in a highly-corrosive offshore setting.

The frequency of this in-service failure of the CROLL is exceptionally low (two in hundreds of thousands). However, Petzl recommends:

4-1: When used in a corrosive environment, rinse and dry any Petzl metallic PPE after each use in order to limit potential corrosion issues (particularly in the hidden/confined areas).
4-2: In accordance with existing Petzl recommendations, when connected to a rope clamp, the user must have a backup device or a connection to a second rope clamp (secondary means of support).
4-3: Users visually inspect their CROLL B16 & B16AAA to check that the rivet head is not missing.

Petzl requests that this information be made available to all those who work with, maintain, and inspect Petzl CROLL rope clamps, and strongly suggests that the recommendations listed above be put into effect.

To paraphrase their conclusions: The Petzl Croll is not "corrosion proof". Corrosion-proof steel has mechanical properties unsuitable for use in the product. Corrosion-compromised stainless steel is difficult to visually inspect. If you use the Croll in a highly-corrosive environment, you should inspect your gear frequently, retire it early.

There is no recall, and no reason to be concerned if you only use your vertical gear in an uncorrosive limestone cave. If you frequent H2SO4 caves... your nylon harness will probably kill you before your Croll does!
driggs
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: David A. Riggs
NSS #: 56189
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Monongahela

Postby DawgsgoCaving » May 4, 2014 2:11 pm

That's good to know! Thanks for clarifying that David I just started practicing with the frog system recently, so I wasn't sure exactly what that meant. In a related question, do you take a back up chest ascender (like a Tibloc) with you on your trips?
DawgsgoCaving
Prolific Poster

Name: Josh Schultz
NSS #: 65630RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: CTG SCCi 3501

Postby jharman2 » May 5, 2014 9:11 am

DawgsgoCaving wrote:In a related question, do you take a back up chest ascender (like a Tibloc) with you on your trips?

Yes. I carry a Petzl Micro Traxion which can be used as a backup ascender in addition to it's primary function as a progress capture pulley. It's a bit pricey, but it's incredibly lightweight and versatile which makes it an indispensable piece of kit in my opinion.

http://www.petzl.com/en/outdoor/self-ja ... ro-traxion
John Harman (Pantin apologist)
http://www.wvunderground.net/
jharman2
Prolific Poster

Name: John Harman
NSS #: 58082
Primary Grotto Affiliation: WVUSG

Postby tamarmole » May 5, 2014 3:53 pm

The micro traxion is a handy tool to have on board. Whilst it can double as a spare ascender the reason I carry one is so that I can throw a z rig together should the need arise (I also tend to carry a pulley as well).

If weight, bulk or cost is an issue carry a prussic loop (and know how to use it) - it weighs nothing and may just save you a whole world of grief.

Whilst I like my toys I think its worth mentioning that the best bit of emergency "what if" kit you can possibly take with you is the knowledge you carry in your head.
tamarmole
Occasional Poster

Return to On Rope!