parts for vertical caving rig

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Re: parts for vertical caving rig

Postby bladerunnerevan » Apr 5, 2014 10:04 pm

I like to carry some stainless steel d-links, and about 2 extra screw gate carabiner.
bladerunnerevan
Infrequent Poster

Postby Tim White » Apr 7, 2014 7:58 am

perigrine wrote:...So spares are needed - what for I'm not sure, but I don't want to find out that I need an extra carabiner while in a cave. :O

Always nice to have an extra even if it's just to offer it's use in the rigging.
Be safe,
Tim White 26949 RL FE

Southeastern Region Coordinator - NCRC
Editor, Nylon Highway
Senior Technical Manager - Over the Edge, Inc.
Tim White
Global Moderator

Postby Stridergdm » Apr 7, 2014 11:27 am

Tim White wrote:
perigrine wrote:...So spares are needed - what for I'm not sure, but I don't want to find out that I need an extra carabiner while in a cave. :O

Always nice to have an extra even if it's just to offer it's use in the rigging.

Same reason I carry a Prussik loop. I've never actually needed it, but the weight to "damn I wish I had something else to grab the rope" ratio is excellent. :-)

Same with a carabiner or two (though those I've sometimes found a use for, so the extra weight is still worth it.)
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Greg Moore
Primary Grotto Affiliation: RPI Grotto

Postby NZcaver » Apr 7, 2014 8:44 pm

paul wrote:I always have my descender clipped on my central maillon. I find it doesn't get in the way (if your rack "smacks you in the bollocks", then you can always clip the top of the rack to one side when not in use which is what some friemds of mine do when they use racks...

This is what I do, using a small elastic loop tied to the side of the harness to secure the top of my micro rack out of the way. The descender always remains attached to the harness D maillon via a small oval maillon. The elastic on the side also works well with a Stop. To each his own.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Previous

Return to On Rope!