QAS/Cow Tails Question

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Re: QAS/Cow Tails Question

Postby Stridergdm » Dec 5, 2013 9:47 am

Chads93GT wrote:If you have a pantin, you can do a change over on a frog without clipping the short into the long cowstail. the pantin also makes the frog system much more efficient as well. For as small as that 1 piece of gear is, the payoff is 10 fold.

Actually with a microrack, I don't even bother clipping the short into the long. Strangely enough, I realized I had to learn this technique so I could teach others how to do it!

But agreed, a pantin is sweet. I'm still getting used to mine.
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Greg Moore
Primary Grotto Affiliation: RPI Grotto

Postby Extremeophile » Dec 5, 2013 10:54 am

I'm curious if anyone has any tricks for attaching the Pantin. It's easy to kick it off the rope, such as when crossing rebelays, but it's a hassle to get it back on. I need to bend down and place the rope into the shell, sometimes while holding the cam open (especially when it's muddy). I haven't spent much time experimenting, but I wonder if it's possible to use the other foot to drop the rope in place.
Extremeophile
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Derek Bristol
NSS #: 34941
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado Grotto

Postby snoboy » Dec 5, 2013 11:52 am

It is possible to use the other foot, but I usually find it easier to use my hand. The best way to describe it is this:

I sit in my harness and bring my Pantin foot up, across and in front of my other leg, then I grab the rope and kind of rub it down across the Pantin in one smooth move.
snoboy
Prolific Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: BC Speleological Federation

Postby Extremeophile » Dec 5, 2013 12:20 pm

snoboy wrote:I sit in my harness and bring my Pantin foot up, across and in front of my other leg, then I grab the rope and kind of rub it down across the Pantin in one smooth move.

That's basically what I do. I just thought there might be a better trick I hadn't figured out. At times, when I'm tired, and the Pantin wants to keep popping off the rope, repeatedly doing this can become annoying.
Extremeophile
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Derek Bristol
NSS #: 34941
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado Grotto

Postby Chads93GT » Dec 5, 2013 12:30 pm

ive used the foot when it was impossible to reach down and attach it by hand. That sucked........really sucked.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby chh » Dec 5, 2013 6:50 pm

I don't find using your feet all that difficult if the rope is not so muddy. When it's a gob of mud that pantin can be a hassle. If just using my feet sometimes in the mud you have to do a double tap....i.e. get the rope in the channel with your other foot, or rope weight, and then drag your other boot across and up, or poke your toe up against the cam to get it to actually grab the rope. Pantins have a tendancy to stick with the rope is really muddy, or if the rope is weighted funny to the side, or if climbing tandem and your technique is poor. It's usually faster to reach down if it's possible in muddy conditions.
I've said it before, but I'll say it again, the ability to kick the pantin OFF the rope is one of the reasons why I like it, and why I wouldn't buy a foot ascender that you had to engage with your hands every time.
Your words of caution are no match for my disaster style!
chh
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: caleb
NSS #: 55745

Previous

Return to On Rope!