Cleaning Rope

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Re: Cleaning Rope

Postby Stridergdm » Oct 7, 2013 11:06 pm

hank moon wrote:I have been told that a pressure washer can damage rope by forcing contaminants into and/or through the sheath. I have not seen any testing to verify this. Petzl warns against using them in their instructions for use (see below). Anyone have emperical info on this topic?

Actually I believe that's Petzl's warning against allowing Daleks near your rope.
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Greg Moore
Primary Grotto Affiliation: RPI Grotto

Postby NZcaver » Oct 8, 2013 3:27 pm

Stridergdm wrote:Actually I believe that's Petzl's warning against allowing Daleks near your rope.

Yep. Which seems to suggest Petzl is in an alternate dimension with some of these warnings. :roll:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby hank moon » Oct 8, 2013 3:54 pm

Stridergdm wrote:Actually I believe that's Petzl's warning against allowing Daleks near your rope.

:clap: :grin: :laughing: :big grin: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I'll ask Petzl about the...Aqualek problem

hank
hank moon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Bob Thrun » Oct 8, 2013 4:03 pm

hank moon wrote:I have been told that a pressure washer can damage rope by forcing contaminants into and/or through the sheath. I have not seen any testing to verify this. Petzl warns against using them in their instructions for use (see below). Anyone have emperical info on this topic?

This is Bruce Smith's Myth No. 8 .
http://www.onrope1.com/Myth8.htm
Bob Thrun
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » Oct 8, 2013 4:06 pm

Just in case it got lost on the previous page, I tested the pressure washer theory. http://caveworthy.blogspot.com/2009/05/ ... -rope.html
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby hank moon » Oct 9, 2013 4:58 pm

Scott McCrea wrote:Just in case it got lost on the previous page, I tested the pressure washer theory. http://caveworthy.blogspot.com/2009/05/ ... -rope.html

Great Scott! Someone still does backyard testing? Nice work.

So...your test sample was a well-used PMI pit rope. Very thick, tightly braided sheath. Further tightened with use. Pretty impervious, apparently.

I wonder what would be revealed with a nearly-new PMI pit rope? Or a thin-sheathed climbing rope?

Even if dirt could be forced through into the core, would it do any damage to the rope?

hank
hank moon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » Oct 9, 2013 5:42 pm

I haven't tested any other types of rope, but Tim addressed in the comments under the report.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

Postby hank moon » Oct 9, 2013 7:34 pm

Scott McCrea wrote:I haven't tested any other types of rope, but Tim addressed in the comments under the report.

THanks!

hank
hank moon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby PeterFJohnson » Oct 13, 2013 10:37 pm

It is worth mention that higher psi pressure washers will actually damage the sheath of the rope. Your average "residential" grade unit probably doesn't have high enough psi, but probably still a good idea to start with the wand a reasonable distance away from the rope and move it closer to observe the effect.
PeterFJohnson
Prolific Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado Grotto + GVKS

Postby caver.adam » Oct 14, 2013 10:49 am

I like to use a rope washer like the Bokat or CMI. This has the added benefit of reminding you to inspect the entire sheath of your rope while you are cleaning it.
caver.adam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Louisville Grotto

Postby NZcaver » Oct 14, 2013 6:13 pm

PeterFJohnson wrote:It is worth mention that higher psi pressure washers will actually damage the sheath of the rope. Your average "residential" grade unit probably doesn't have high enough psi, but probably still a good idea to start with the wand a reasonable distance away from the rope and move it closer to observe the effect.

I had heard this too, but I don't recall seeing any actual proof. Have you personally experienced physical damage and/or a reduction in MBS caused by a pressure washer?
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby GroundquestMSA » Oct 14, 2013 6:38 pm

NZcaver wrote:
PeterFJohnson wrote:It is worth mention that higher psi pressure washers will actually damage the sheath of the rope. Your average "residential" grade unit probably doesn't have high enough psi, but probably still a good idea to start with the wand a reasonable distance away from the rope and move it closer to observe the effect.

I had heard this too, but I don't recall seeing any actual proof. Have you personally experienced physical damage and/or a reduction in MBS caused by a pressure washer?

I've used Landa 8gpm washers with heat stacks on industrial cleaning jobs, and while I haven't tried to cut Pit rope, I have no doubt that they could do so. I've cut through electric lines, 3/4" woven poly rope, sheets of plywood and other assorted stuff. One guy cut through his boots and foot. Of course, many of these things are "softer" than static rope. Using different tips makes a big difference too. We were working with zero or rotating "turbo" tips. With a wide fan tip, even 8 gpm may be harmless.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » Oct 14, 2013 7:46 pm

GroundquestMSA wrote:I've used Landa 8gpm washers with heat stacks on industrial cleaning jobs, and while I haven't tried to cut Pit rope, I have no doubt that they could do so. I've cut through electric lines, 3/4" woven poly rope, sheets of plywood and other assorted stuff. One guy cut through his boots and foot. Of course, many of these things are "softer" than static rope. Using different tips makes a big difference too. We were working with zero or rotating "turbo" tips. With a wide fan tip, even 8 gpm may be harmless.

Oooo! Sweet! You gotta try this and post a video. Also try cutting thru a loaded rope with it.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

Postby NZcaver » Oct 15, 2013 2:02 am

Scott McCrea wrote:Oooo! Sweet! You gotta try this and post a video. Also try cutting thru a loaded rope with it.

Yes please. :big grin:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby GroundquestMSA » Oct 15, 2013 5:49 am

NZcaver wrote:
Scott McCrea wrote:Oooo! Sweet! You gotta try this and post a video. Also try cutting thru a loaded rope with it.

Yes please. :big grin:

:laughing: I don't own one of these massive pressure washers. I travel to do two or three jobs a year that use them. The next one is in December, but I'll try to remember to bring a chunk of rope for you guys.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Previous

Return to On Rope!