What did I just read?

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Re: What did I just read?

Postby ct1 » May 21, 2013 2:27 pm

I know that shibumi has contributed years of service to the caving community. I am only one person but have to say that the amount of time and effort that he has put in to this community gives him some ground to stand on. I am one of the people that has learned vertical work from his teachings as I know there are many many others.

I would also have to say that there are many people here that would be considered the authority on the matter of caving and vertical work. Explaining their experience is not going on about how great they are it is simply giving base for those that may not know.

( I have always found southpark funny ) :rofl:
ct1
Infrequent Poster

Postby shibumi » May 21, 2013 2:35 pm

Extremeophile wrote:It is spelled correctly. This is a joke from popular culture, but you don't seem to be in the joking mood. Anmar has in fact earned the respect of the vast majority in the caving community. I suspect you have less of an issue with the way he made his argument as with the content of that argument. However, he happens to be entirely correct. While everyone fully understands the NSS News isn't a peer-reviewed publication, it would be a good idea for articles on caving technique, especially vertical technique, to have some oversight. Otherwise it's possible that we'll see a series of caving technique pieces on helmetless caving, spectra cowstails, and the like. :down:

Thanks Derek, I couldn't help it-twice. I'll stop poking...

Indeed the NSS News is not a peer-reviewed journal, and I doubt anyone reading it would mistake it as such. Responsible journalism dictates that when one is publishing information and techniques that people will be using for life-safety AND comes from a publication that many, especially newer cavers, will take as authoritative, that it's a pretty good idea to at least run it by the in-house experts (and the NSS has many, even if my own awesomeness is lacking at the moment) for review and commentary.
shibumi
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » May 21, 2013 2:36 pm

Actually, it's spelled "authoritah."

Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby shibumi » May 21, 2013 2:38 pm

Scott McCrea wrote:Actually, it's spelled "authoritah."

Until I see the script I refuse to accept a meme-generator as a definitive work.
shibumi
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » May 21, 2013 4:21 pm

shibumi wrote:
Scott McCrea wrote:Actually, it's spelled "authoritah."

Until I see the script I refuse to accept a meme-generator as a definitive work.

Surprisingly, if you want to be true to the script you're both wrong and our little Aztec God is correct. See Southpark episode 203 "Chickenlover" script (try a page search for "respect").

On the subject of respect, I find the opinion of Shibumi (Anmar) to be generally worthy.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Previous

Return to On Rope!