World's Most Insane Rope Swing Ever

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

World's Most Insane Rope Swing Ever

Postby Squirrel Girl » Mar 2, 2013 8:26 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... dJc1_IBKJA

What do all you rope experts think about the dynamic load on this rigging? [edit]: I just watched the "behind the scenes" and they said, "it's dynamic rope so it's totally safe."

The behind the scenes video is completely worth watching.
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Re: World's Most Insane Rope Swing Ever

Postby Ernie Coffman » Mar 2, 2013 8:45 pm

Looks like SAR units will be busy if this catches on, I'm afraid. Guess some people just need to get their jollies one way or the other; and, this is definitely "extreme." Whew hoo!
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby killian » Mar 3, 2013 9:02 am

im sooooo in on that!!!! :kewl: :kewl:
Man i sure do like caving.....
killian
Prolific Poster

Name: Killian McCarthy
NSS #: 58343

Postby Patrick Wilson » Mar 3, 2013 10:04 am

I find myself more concerned about that anchor... :shock:
Patrick Wilson
NSS 59279 RE
Patrick Wilson
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 59279RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Chattanooga Grotto

Postby Squirrel Girl » Mar 3, 2013 12:30 pm

Patrick Wilson wrote:I find myself more concerned about that anchor... :shock:

I dunno. Didn't they have 4 stainless steel bolts expoxied in? That seems safer than the rope. But I'm not an expert in the physics of these things.
Barbara Anne am Ende

Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

Postby Patrick Wilson » Mar 3, 2013 3:51 pm

Squirrel Girl wrote:

I dunno. Didn't they have 4 stainless steel bolts expoxied in? That seems safer than the rope. But I'm not an expert in the physics of these things.

Oh okay, I didn't watch the behind the scenes video, I just saw the main video where they used a grappling hook via bow-and-arrow.
Patrick Wilson
NSS 59279 RE
Patrick Wilson
Prolific Poster

Postby Squirrel Girl » Mar 3, 2013 7:18 pm

Patrick Wilson wrote:
Squirrel Girl wrote:

Oh okay, I didn't watch the behind the scenes video, I just saw the main video where they used a grappling hook via bow-and-arrow.

Aw come on. :laughing: You didn't really think they were rigging off that arrow sticking into the twig, did you? :yikes: :tonguecheek:

:waving:
Barbara Anne am Ende

Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

Postby PeterFJohnson » Mar 3, 2013 7:36 pm

I think the guy pushing his girlfriend off the cliff is a bit uncomfortable to watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iuv__-nyO1M

While there are certainly a thousand things that could go wrong with this idea, the forces on the rigging/rope are probably less than would be expected because it is a pendulum. Granted the taut line multiplies the forces at the anchor, but similar stuff(on a much smaller scale) is built in the challenge course industry with wire rope/steel cable which is about as static as it gets. So I don't think dynamic rope is what makes the system work(I say "work" and not "safe").
PeterFJohnson
Prolific Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado Grotto + GVKS

Postby Patrick Wilson » Mar 3, 2013 10:45 pm

Squirrel Girl wrote: Aw come on. :laughing: You didn't really think they were rigging off that arrow sticking into the twig, did you? :yikes: :tonguecheek:

:waving:

Hah! Hey, there's enough morons out there that it wouldn't surprise me. :roll:
Patrick Wilson
NSS 59279 RE
Patrick Wilson
Prolific Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » Mar 4, 2013 8:28 am

The swing looks pretty safe to me. There is really not that much load on the tyrolean and there is so much dynamic shock absorption in the 400' of rope and the rigging the stresses are not that big.

However, I would have liked to see more edge lines and fall prevention measures. The whole pulling the swinger over to edge and having them transfer to a static rope is pretty clumsy. A 400' foot climb, with what appear to be aiders, would really suck. And, I could not see any sort of rescue option/plan. It may be that it just wasn't in the video. But, there should be a plan for how to get a swinger down, quickly. And, how to help a rope climber. And, helmets. Put on a dang helmet.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby Patrick Wilson » Mar 5, 2013 6:50 pm

Scott McCrea wrote:And, helmets. Put on a dang helmet.

:yeah that:
Patrick Wilson
NSS 59279 RE
Patrick Wilson
Prolific Poster

Postby chh » Mar 5, 2013 11:03 pm

Scott McCrea wrote:The swing looks pretty safe to me. There is really not that much load on the tyrolean and there is so much dynamic shock absorption in the 400' of rope and the rigging the stresses are not that big.

However, I would have liked to see more edge lines and fall prevention measures. The whole pulling the swinger over to edge and having them transfer to a static rope is pretty clumsy. A 400' foot climb, with what appear to be aiders, would really suck. And, I could not see any sort of rescue option/plan. It may be that it just wasn't in the video. But, there should be a plan for how to get a swinger down, quickly. And, how to help a rope climber. And, helmets. Put on a dang helmet.

All the jumpers were wearing backpacks with rope ends in them. It didn't look like it would be near enough to get to the canyon floor, more just to keep things tidy, but it did make me wonder how far that distance was from the bottom of the swing. Come to think of it, jumping with even a couple hundred feet of rope on your back would change your center of balance enough to potentially put you head down everytime you hit the end of the swing. Keeping the jumpers as light as possible seems to be somewhat of a safety concern. i.e., don't load them down with the kind of rope it would likely take to get to the bottom, at least, not on their backs. OTOH however, I guess you could just sit on the pig and jump that way;) But who wants to reset the jump with piggy hanging on the end of the line? That isn't really an option either

Scott, jugging equipment, helmets, and pads aside, how would you have done things differently? I assume their rescue plan for rope climbers is pretty much what a caver's would have been without the option to lower. Also, how else would you get a jumper back to the lip other than pulling them over and having them changeover? I wouldn't be as concerned with that I don't think than something happening during the jump, like a rope loop around a leg or something. That could potentially put you in a bad way.
Also I'm trying to think of ways to rig for rescue with the tyrolean. There are the standard configurations, but I keep coming back to "Christ, that would be a TON of rope" Maybe they did that, but I doubt it.

Also, typically with highline setups you are walking a tensioned line, but you have a not tensioned or [i]slightly[i] tensioned back up. If I saw things correctly in the behind the scenes video it looked like four strands, two webbing and two ropes. How all that was put together is kind of unclear, hard to see. Was there just a single strand to the rigging plate for the haul over to the wall, or was it on a pulley for a 2:1? There was a brief mention of sheathing one of the backup ropes in the video as well, so it may not have been two strands of webbing at all, but rather a rope sheathed in webbing. Who knows. Anyway there was some kind of redundancy, and obviously it was safe enough. And an equalized anchor on 4 steel glue ins? No lack of burliness there. I do wish the behind the scenes video would have gone more in depth as far as the rigging, instead of listening to that annoying guy who obviously doesn't know anything about it talk about his youtube channel too much :laughing:
Your words of caution are no match for my disaster style!
chh
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: caleb
NSS #: 55745

Postby silvermanphoto » Mar 6, 2013 11:26 am

Look how the static climbing rope goes over that sharp unpadded edge at 6:33. These guys are fools.

Joel
silvermanphoto
Infrequent Poster

Name: Joel Silverman
NSS #: 64154
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby Stridergdm » Mar 7, 2013 8:39 am

Yeah, abrasion on the edge and lack of edge protection for folks would worry me the most.

That said, I'd like to think I'd try this but damn...
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Greg Moore
Primary Grotto Affiliation: RPI Grotto

Postby Downundercaver » Mar 14, 2013 9:18 am

At the begging of the behind the scenes video the guy throws a rock of the cliff. Don't know about the rest of you but i was always taught never to throw rocks off the edge on purpose but if i accidentally knock a rock off yell rock just in case someone is below. He doesn't even yell rock.
Downundercaver
Frequent Poster

Name: Ben Mcalpine

Next

Return to On Rope!