Climbtech Gear

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Climbtech Gear

Postby GroundquestMSA » Dec 18, 2012 8:09 pm

Have you used it? They brand carabiners, removeable bolts, ascenders, decenders and more.
I went to their site to look at the bolts Tlaloc linked and found that they had good prices for individual Power-studs and their own brand of hangers. Then I saw the ascenders. About $25.00 per, LH, RH, or chest. Dr. Storrick has not reviewed Climbtech ascenders, but I've just finished reading good things about them. Any thoughts, other than the obvious, "too cheap to be good?"
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Climbtech Gear

Postby driggs » Dec 18, 2012 8:15 pm

Looks like pretty standard Petzl-knockoff gear. It's all CE rated. :shrug:

http://www.climbtechgear.com/ascenders/

driggs
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: David A. Riggs
NSS #: 56189
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Monongahela

Postby Bob Thrun » Dec 19, 2012 6:11 am

I got one each of the Climb Tech products last week. When I saw this question come up, I compared the Climb Tech ascenders with the current Petzl models. The cams of both brands have aggresive teeth and a mud slot. The CT teeth are slightly longer. The CT cam face is longer. i don't have a scale, but the Climb Tech handled ascenders feel heavier and more solid. I just checked -- CT says their ascender weighs 245g, while Gary gives 197g for the Petzl Ascension. This does not necessarily mean the CT is stronger. The CT frame is flat while one leg of the Petzl frame is slightly dished. Petzl stamps much of its lettering into the metal. All the CT letteriing is painted on. CT rates their ascenders for 8-12mm rope. Petzl says 8-13mm. I tried both 8mm and 13mm ropes in both brands of ascenders and could not see any difference in performance. 11mm works better than 13mm. The design of the CT safety makes it easier to put the ascender on and off rope one-handed, sort of like the old Petzls. The CT does not have a cam stop, which might prevent failure by swing-through if you load it to 900 lbs (4kN). I find the CT grip more comfortable. The extra top hole in the CT ascender makes it possible to thumb it if it is used as the bottom ascender of a Mitchell System.

The comparison of the chest ascenders is much like the handled ascenders. The Petzl Croll is slightly lighter and more compact.

I am not impressed by the CT stop descender, but then I don't like stop descenders in general.
Bob Thrun
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby hunter » Dec 19, 2012 1:18 pm

Shrug, I have used some climb tech gear but would use Bob's review for judging there ascenders quality.

That being said Climb Tech is a reputable company based in Austin and they have made some climbing gear for quite a while so you can assume there gear is safe, tested, etc unlike some of the junk on ebay these days.

James
hunter
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby trogman » Dec 20, 2012 7:16 am

So does anyone know if their gear is made in USA? Anytime I see something that cheap relative to what I am used to paying, I think "must be made in China." :yikes: I know just about everything nowadays is, but I'm not quite ready to trust my life on Chinese-made gear. Their QC is just not up to that level, at least not yet.

Maybe they give that info somewhere on the website, but if so, I overlooked it.

Trogman :helmet:
trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Stephen Brewer
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Gadsden Grotto

Postby LukeM » Dec 20, 2012 9:09 am

Black Diamond is making a lot of their gear in China now. I guess you have to take the QC thing on a case by case basis.
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Luke Mazza
NSS #: 59317
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby Bob Thrun » Dec 20, 2012 12:40 pm

My understanding of US law is that all imported goods must be marked with the country of origin. The Climb Tech gear has no country of origin markings, implying that it is US made.

When I wrote the review, I was looking at the ascenders in my hand and comparing details. I neglected to give my overall impression. If I had to choose between using only the Climb Tech or Petzl ascenders, I would take the Climb Tech. This is assuming similar quality metals were used to make the ascenders. I use another brand and model of ascenders, based on other considerations.

In response to a question that was brought up in another thread: The Climb Tech ascenders have downward slanting teeth that are slightly longer than the teeth on the Petzls.

Disregard what I said about the descender. I am not the person to review stop descenders.
Bob Thrun
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby GroundquestMSA » Dec 20, 2012 1:53 pm

I ordered 5 stainless bolts, 5 stainless hangers, and 1 chest ascender. $50.60 including shipping.
Last edited by GroundquestMSA on Dec 20, 2012 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby driggs » Dec 20, 2012 2:08 pm

ClimbTech is headquartered just outside of Austin, TX. This article on ClimbTech from the Austin American Statesman says about their industrial removable bolts (it makes no mention of the manufacture their ascenders or other "rock climbing gear"):

Though the anchors are designed, engineered and tested in Austin, they are made at a variety of locations, including Taiwan.

I personally am quite skeptical that someone could manufacture a quality ascender in the United States today and have it retail for $29, but would love to be proven wrong. Bob, do you still have the packaging of your ClimbTech gear handy to check?
driggs
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Bob Thrun » Dec 20, 2012 4:18 pm

The ascenders were in individual plastic bags that I threw away. I would have kept any labels on them. The workmanship is good. Some money might have been saved by keeping the stamping shapes plain. There are no reinforcing ribs, cam stops, or stamped lettering. I can't analyze the alloys used.
Bob Thrun
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Bob Thrun » Dec 24, 2012 2:53 am

The Climb Tech ascenders appear to be the same as the Fixe Capitan without the cam stop or the Brasovia ascennders.
Bob Thrun
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby GroundquestMSA » Dec 27, 2012 12:13 am

I got the stuff a couple of days ago. I gave the ascender a quick few runs up the tree in between rain showers, and was pleased. I've only ever owned one other chest ascender, and that was a Croll, for a few days, so I can't make any comparisons. The Climbtech works great though and is very easy to manipulate. As long as it doesn't drop me, I think it's worth $25.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby driggs » Dec 28, 2012 10:47 am

Chris Vinson of ClimbTech replied to my inquiry about country of origin:

Our ascenders are made by a partner facility in Taiwan. The decision to
go this way was to reduce cost. Nothing was spared in terms of quality,
certifications or with its simple, "tried and true" design. They are most
similar to the old petzl design, "beefed" up for comfort and to
accommodate gloves for rope access. Here is a rock climbing review of
them:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lIEnqw3ew9E

The chest ascender (also made in Taiwan) is CE as well. All of our
anchors, carabiners, rigging gear and rope access equipment is CE with the
majority of it all in compliance with ANSI and soon to be CSA.
driggs
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby GroundquestMSA » Dec 30, 2012 9:07 pm

Storrick has now reviewed the Climbtech handled ascenders.
http://www.storrick.cnc.net/VerticalDevicesPage/Ascender/HECPages/HEC1932.html

Thanks Gary, and let me know if you do the chest.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby GroundquestMSA » Jan 12, 2013 7:27 pm

Gave the ascender a better workout today with 3 runs up a 60' drop (in the rain, in short sleeves, in Ohio, in January). Everything went great. I'll definitely admit that it runs a little smoother and feels a lot less bulky than using a handled Ultrascender for the chest.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Next

Return to On Rope!