Which descender do you use?

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Which descender do you use?

Full size rack (5 bars or more)
42%
Small rack (eg micro rack)
31%
Regular bobbin
6%
Autostop bobbin (Petzl Stop, etc)
14%
Figure 8
5%
Other (please post details)
2%

Total votes : 111

Postby cavemanjonny » Nov 14, 2006 3:16 pm

Tim White wrote:As Scott McCrea would say, "Danger! Don't feed the micro-rack!" :hairpull:

I agree whole heartedly. The biner helps to prevent accidentally disengaging the hyperbar in the event that you can't spread your bars enough, at least, hopefully it does....

mgmills wrote:Longest I've done on my micro is 230 feet - had no problems with just one hyperbar (my rack has a dual hyperbar set-up) but I never have used the second hyperbar while rapelling.

I think I'd almost prefer to just get a second hyper bar to add friction, as opposed to the biner.

Really though, I'd just like to get a full rack so I don't have to worry about it :-).
cavemanjonny
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 56510

Postby Tubo Longo » Dec 9, 2006 9:57 pm

jprouty wrote:
At any rate, I keep a biner clipped through my frame now, and use it only if I need the extra friction. All I have to do is pull the rope away from me. It works great.

This illustration isn't perfect, there should be more room for the biner below the bottom bar, but I think the idea is clear enough:

Basically you're using a brake biner like if you would be using a Petzl Simple, right? So why not clip the brake biner into the maillon or into the biner of the rack, instead of clipping it into the frame of the rack? Just curious...
Tubo Longo
Prolific Poster

Name: Renato
NSS #: ex 29271
Primary Grotto Affiliation: CGEB SAG CAI of Trieste [Italy]

Postby cavemanjonny » Dec 9, 2006 11:18 pm

Tubo Longo wrote:So why not clip the brake biner into the maillon or into the biner of the rack, instead of clipping it into the frame of the rack? Just curious...

Umm, to be honest, no reason :-). You end up getting more friction when you clip it through the frame of the rack, possibly. The biner ends up sliding up against the rope, pinching it against the bottom bar. I don't know whether that is good or bad.
cavemanjonny
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 56510

Postby adleedy » Dec 15, 2006 7:25 am

i use the petzl d11 rack and absolutly love it.
adleedy
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: alan dwayne leedy
NSS #: 56663
Primary Grotto Affiliation: charleston grotto + ERVKET

Previous

Return to On Rope!