Rope Ladder?

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Rope Ladder?

Postby Lava » Aug 8, 2012 6:50 pm

Does anybody know where I can get a decent quality 18 in x 25 ft rope ladder with either wooden or aluminum rungs? This is not for caving, but for playing on in the backyard while rigged horizontally at about head height.
Lava
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bruce White
NSS #: 39223
Primary Grotto Affiliation: San Francisco Bay Chapter

Re: Rope Ladder?

Postby Anonymous_Coward » Aug 8, 2012 6:58 pm

Andy Armstrong
American Carbide Council
Anonymous_Coward
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 45993RL FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Paha Sapa Grotto

Postby Scott McCrea » Aug 8, 2012 7:55 pm

Check out escape ladders. Might be called something else. But, they are for getting out of second story windows in an emergency. They store under the bed or in closet and hook over the window sill. Fling it out and climb down to safety. Or something like that.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby Lava » Aug 8, 2012 11:53 pm

I think my best bet might be to buy 4 of these and link them together:
http://www.amazon.com/Indoor-Outdoor-St ... 005OLYFOC/

Although who knows how strong that cord will be under tyrolean-like tension. But at least I'd have my rungs and could swap it out with 8mm rope if it broke.

I have always really enjoyed crossing monkey bars using both my hands and feet like I'm climbing under an overhang, but the experience is always too short. Now I have the opportunity to have a nice long rope ladder across the entire width of my backyard. I figure an out-and-back every morning will be a fun quick workout. I've also thought it would be awesome to rig one over a river, and you could just keep crossing it until you got tired then drop into the water.
Lava
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby snoboy » Aug 9, 2012 1:28 am

Check out industrial supply houses - they get used on job sites for access. A place that sells fall arrest gear may be a good bet.
snoboy
Prolific Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: BC Speleological Federation

Postby Phil Winkler » Aug 9, 2012 8:18 am

Also check West Marine or other nautical shops.
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Postby Phil Winkler » Aug 9, 2012 8:39 am

Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Postby Tim White » Aug 9, 2012 9:07 am

Google Bachar ladder. Rock climbers have been using these for years as a training tool. Made popular by the great late free soloist John Bachar.

Building you own may be the best route.
Be safe,
Tim White 26949 RL FE

Southeastern Region Coordinator - NCRC
Editor, Nylon Highway
Senior Technical Manager - Over the Edge, Inc.
Tim White
Global Moderator

Postby Extremeophile » Aug 9, 2012 10:23 am

I've made my own using fiberglass reinforced plastic bar stock. I've used solid 3/4" diameter round bar, and 1" hollow square bar. I prefer the hollow square material. I cut the rungs to 10" and drilled 3/8" holes near the ends of the rungs for stringing 7mm cord. I tie an overhand above and below the rung to keep it in place. If you can find a slightly larger hollow square tube you might be able to get the overhand knot to rest inside the rung, which would protect it from abrasion. You can make a 15' ladder for ~$60 and none of the parts are subject to rot or corrosion.

The Jewel rope ladders are nice, but $115 for a 1 meter long ladder is crazy expensive.

Here's a source for the rung material:
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/DYNAFORM-Tube-Stock-4ATN8?Pid=search
Extremeophile
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Derek Bristol
NSS #: 34941
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado Grotto

Postby Anonymous_Coward » Aug 9, 2012 12:22 pm

Extremeophile wrote:The Jewel rope ladders are nice, but $115 for a 1 meter long ladder is crazy expensive.

I assumed that was a misprint. Are they really that dear???
Andy Armstrong
American Carbide Council
Anonymous_Coward
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 45993RL FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Paha Sapa Grotto

Postby Lava » Aug 9, 2012 10:01 pm

Thanks for the replies, all. Looks like the Bachar ladder is perfect. Hey Derek, why do you prefer the square stock? Seems to me that, depending on the angle, your fingers would slip off square rungs. Round rungs strike me as being a little more orientation independent?
Lava
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Extremeophile » Aug 10, 2012 9:18 am

Lava wrote:Thanks for the replies, all. Looks like the Bachar ladder is perfect. Hey Derek, why do you prefer the square stock? Seems to me that, depending on the angle, your fingers would slip off square rungs. Round rungs strike me as being a little more orientation independent?

As far as grip I don't think it makes much difference, but the square stock makes for more secure footing.
Extremeophile
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Derek Bristol
NSS #: 34941
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado Grotto

Postby jessa1 » Aug 17, 2012 1:41 am

Lava wrote:I think my best bet might be to buy 4 of these and link them together:

Although who knows how strong that cord will be under tyrolean-like tension. But at least I'd have my rungs and could swap it out with 8mm rope if it broke.

I have always really enjoyed crossing monkey bars using both my hands and feet like I'm climbing under an overhang, but the experience is always too short. Now I have the opportunity to have a nice long rope ladder across the entire width of my backyard. I figure an out-and-back every morning will be a fun quick workout. I've also thought it would be awesome to rig one over a river, and you could just keep crossing it until you got tired then drop into the water.

Thanks for this link. This is what I need.
Aluminium Extension Ladders Perth Platform Step Ladder - Folding -. (aluminium - 150kg Industrial Rating). Checkerplate platform. Stronger Support below the platform. Support above the platform
jessa1
New Poster

Postby trogman » Aug 17, 2012 12:23 pm

jessa1 wrote:
Lava wrote:I think my best bet might be to buy 4 of these and link them together:

Thanks for this link. This is what I need.

"Weight Limit 125lbs." I don't know how much you weigh, but I wouldn't be getting on it. I cringe evertime I see that photo of that little girl on it. :yikes: She looks like she's about to take a fall.
If you have to swap out the rope, you might as well make your own. I like Derick's idea much better. For that matter, you could use wooden rungs. Just buy the material at your local Home Depot type store. Drill holes near the ends, run the rope through, and tie knots to support the rungs.

Trogman :helmet:
trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Stephen Brewer
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Gadsden Grotto

Postby chh » Aug 19, 2012 8:12 pm

Make your own. You'll be happier with it, and it will be cheaper.
Most Bachar or campus ladders I've seen have had round stock bars. It's easier on the hands. Also, self adhesive skateboard surface makes a cheap, easy way to add a little grip to your outdoor ladders. Wooden dowels or an appropriate schedule PVC work just fine.
Your words of caution are no match for my disaster style!
chh
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: caleb
NSS #: 55745

Return to On Rope!