Carrying Knifes

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Do you carry a Knife when doing any SRT?

Always
71%
Never
25%
Depends on the Cave
4%
Only in unexplored Caves
No votes

Total votes : 24

Re: Carrying Knifes

Postby OpenTrackRacer » Jul 19, 2012 11:41 am

I always carry a knife within easy reach along with a multi-tool for my buddy Justin... Justin Case.

Mike
Underground Explorers
California Abandoned Mine Exploration
http://www.undergroundexplorers.com
OpenTrackRacer
Prolific Poster

Name: Mike Schriber
NSS #: 65042
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Southern California

Postby harrym » Jul 22, 2012 7:34 am

Read this accident report. Maybe if he had a knife readily accessible he could have saved himself.

http://www.caves.org/commission/ncrc/ncrc-er/07037801.HTM
Harry Marinakis
NSS #42832 Life
IUS Commission on Volcanic Caves
NACD Full Cave Diver
Monongahela Grotto, West Virginia
harrym
Prolific Poster

Name: Harry Marinakis
NSS #: 42832 Life
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Monongahela Grotto

Postby NZcaver » Jul 22, 2012 9:08 am

harrym wrote:Read this accident report. Maybe if he had a knife readily accessible he could have saved himself.

And maybe if he'd had a modern breakaway chin strap clip he would have survived. But of course this happened back in 1978.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby nathanroser » Jul 22, 2012 9:16 am

The accident in the report is definitely a situation where a knife should have been available. Given the nature of the crevice I wonder if the victim had enough space to work with a knife and cut the helmet strap, and it seems like this was one of those rare really unfortunate incidents where there just wasn't enough time to respond in a helpful way.
nathanroser
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Nathan Roser
NSS #: 62848
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby Scott McCrea » Jul 23, 2012 6:05 pm

harrym wrote:Read this accident report. Maybe if he had a knife readily accessible he could have saved himself.

Lots of ifs and buts... Hindsight, etc...

I think this might be the incident that prompted manufacturers and cavers to switch to a quick-release or breakaway latch on chin straps. Just in case anyone still has a Joe Brown style helmet/chin strap, there is a safer way to secure it. I can't find any pics or diagrams but... instead of sticking the end of the webbing back between the two D rings, feed a bight of the webbing thru. Then, you can pull the end and clip comes undone.

This is a great situation for cavers to practice. Snag (biner) your helmet to something above you to simulate a stuck helmet and try to get out of it. Clip your chin strap around the rope and feel how awkward it is to have your hair sucked into a rappel device. Be creative. An ascender with a footloop to attach above you will get you out of most situations.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby Chads93GT » Jul 23, 2012 8:08 pm

Wow. What a way to go.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby wyandottecaver » Jul 26, 2012 6:16 pm

reminds me of the gun topic. I always carry a knife and strongly suggest others do as well. You can always choose not to use it if you have it. You cant choose at all if you don't.

To the comment that there are usually better ways, I would absolutely agree. However, you must know what that better way is and be able to execute it.

When I was first "learning" vertical I decided to practice a changeover with a "victim" (80lb of dog food) alone and using a rope rigged inside my house and it went badly :doh: Today I could have gotten out of the situation just fine using my knowledge and the vert gear I could reach.

Then, I'm sure glad I had a knife on my harness. :shhh:
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Previous

Return to On Rope!