Lifespan of the new dyneema-reinforced Petzl Superavanti

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Re: Lifespan of the new dyneema-reinforced Petzl Superavanti

Postby chh » Jul 16, 2012 5:33 pm

Huh, I'd say it's your pack Jeff. I was going to say that i wish they made the Superavanti with the metal rings. I have the Fractio, but I don't really think that extra waist strap does anything. I've thought many times of cutting it off, but it's where the gear loops are. Scott, I need you to sew me a few loops in my waist belt so I can cut that thing off there.
I could see how skin/fat getting pinched in there would really suck. I don't think that would be as likely though if you were in a cavesuit, even if you had a little extra 'round the middle.
Your words of caution are no match for my disaster style!
chh
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: caleb
NSS #: 55745

Postby chh » Jul 16, 2012 5:36 pm

Scott McCrea wrote:
Jeff Bartlett wrote:
Scott McCrea wrote:What on your Omni is eating webbing? Is it a Triact?

No, it's the SL. I suspect it's the hinge pin that the gate swivels upon doing most of the damage, it's on that side.

I'd fix that first. I've never heard of that happening. File it smooth? Or, is it defective? Or, maybe Chinese?

Also, many carabiners rely upon the hinge pin sticking out a little and them being mashed over, like a rivet. It's what helps it stay put. I think filing that down could be a potentially terrible idea.
Your words of caution are no match for my disaster style!
chh
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: caleb
NSS #: 55745

Postby Jeff Bartlett » Jul 16, 2012 5:47 pm

chh wrote: I have the Fractio, but I don't really think that extra waist strap does anything. I've thought many times of cutting it off, but it's where the gear loops are.

Yeah, +1 for that. It's why I am strongly considering another Superavanti over the Fractio -- I just don't want an extra 80g of webbing I don't want. Plus, when it comes down to it, I think I will end up retiring this harness due to wear at the rear buckle BEFORE I retire it for wear to the maillon attachments, and that doesn't have anything to do with my climbing style or tethering habits; it's from wearing my SRT gear in small spaces all the time.
"Although it pains me to say it, in this case Jeff is right. Plan accordingly." --Andy Armstrong
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Bartlett
NSS #: 59325
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Tennessee Cave Survey

Postby tncaver » Jul 16, 2012 6:08 pm

Interesting. For someone who recently told me you were short or cash, you seem to be doing pretty good Jeff. No problem.
Your slot to survey in big virgin cave will be taken by someone else who is willing to survey a few miles from Chattanooga.
What can you say...I offered you the chance.

Jeff Bartlett wrote:
chh wrote: I have the Fractio, but I don't really think that extra waist strap does anything. I've thought many times of cutting it off, but it's where the gear loops are.

Yeah, +1 for that. It's why I am strongly considering another Superavanti over the Fractio -- I just don't want an extra 80g of webbing I don't want. Plus, when it comes down to it, I think I will end up retiring this harness due to wear at the rear buckle BEFORE I retire it for wear to the maillon attachments, and that doesn't have anything to do with my climbing style or tethering habits; it's from wearing my SRT gear in small spaces all the time.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Jeff Bartlett » Jul 16, 2012 6:46 pm

tncaver wrote:Your slot to survey in big virgin cave will be taken by someone else who is willing to survey a few miles from Chattanooga.
What can you say...I offered you the chance.

Hey, no hard feelings! At risk of derailing my own thread, I'm still game to come help you survey when it doesn't require a membership. :)
"Although it pains me to say it, in this case Jeff is right. Plan accordingly." --Andy Armstrong
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Jeff Bartlett » Jul 17, 2012 9:25 am

Jeff Bartlett wrote:At risk of derailing my own thread

Speaking of which, back to the original topic. Does anyone OWN the new white-loop (dyneema) Superavanti? Anyone? Is this thing on?
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby UnderGroundEarth » Jul 17, 2012 9:33 am

Jeff Bartlett wrote: Speaking of which, back to the original topic. Does anyone OWN the new white-loop (dyneema) Superavanti? Anyone? Is this thing on?

I do, I do... I've been using mine for about a year and a half. Although unlike you I can't tell you how many hours i've used it or how many trips. It's been a lot. I have not noticed any wear on it either.
Unearthly Beauty Lies Underground for those who Venture In!
www.flickr.com/undergroundearth
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kelly Smallwood
NSS #: 58745 RL,FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sewanee Mountain Grotto

Postby SuckinOnSodaStraws » Jul 17, 2012 10:47 am

I recently bought the superavanti, and it came with the white 'dyneema' loops. Used it many times already, and I love the thing. Really seems like it will hold up to some good abuse. Too bad it isn't a neccesary piece of equipment about 80% of the time where I live. Glad I saw that secondary waist loop on the Fractio pointless. I love the superavanti harness though and I did take note of the reinforced loops, which appear to have 0 damamge after atleast 10 trips.
Alex Hesler
Crawlaholics
Colorado Springs Deep Caving Team
SuckinOnSodaStraws
Prolific Poster

Name: SLIM TROG [Alex Hesler]
NSS #: 64412
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado Crawlaholics Anonymous

Previous

Return to On Rope!