OR1 Goliath Frog Harness and PMI Pit Viper harnesses

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

OR1 Goliath Frog Harness and PMI Pit Viper harnesses

Postby fuzzy-hair-man » Apr 6, 2006 9:08 pm

Hi,

I am in the market for a harness (currently using the clubs Petzl Fractios) currently I am looking at either the OR1 Goliath Frog Harness or the PMI Pit Viper.
Does anyone have experience with these harnesses?
I like the wide straps and option for waist padding on the OR1 Goliath frog but I am wondering about this harness's lack of abrasion protection and the fact that the buckles don't have the strap turn back abrasion protection I am used to seeing on other harnesses.

The Pit Viper has all the abrasion protection I want but a higher attachment point for the central mailion, and thinner straps :hairpull:

The caves around here have considerable potential for harness wear and I want my harness to last. I guess what I am asking is how important is a low attachment point to a frog rig(I know it's desirable but how much) and how high is the Pit Viper's attachment point compared to the Petzl Fractio and / or the OR1 Goliath Frog?

I am currently leaning the way of the Pit Viper.
PS: Petzl harnesses seem expensive so I am staying away from them and the Pit Viper is basically the same as the Superavanti anyway. The metal rings on the Fractio tend to let my D mailion rotate which I find a little unnerving and annoying on a long pitch. :shock:
fuzzy-hair-man
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: NUCC

Postby NZcaver » Apr 6, 2006 9:26 pm

Have you read the thread "First Harness"? - http://www.caves.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=571

It might give you some more ideas and options to think about... :idea:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Re: OR1 Goliath Frog Harness and PMI Pit Viper harnesses

Postby hank moon » Apr 6, 2006 9:45 pm

fuzzy-hair-man wrote:The metal rings on the Fractio tend to let my D mailion rotate which I find a little unnerving and annoying on a long pitch.

If the maillon rotates, the harness is not tight enough. That said, I'm not promoting the Fractio (don't like it myself) - just offering a stabilizing solution for you until you get your own rig. The Pit Viper is on sale at REI outlet...

hank
hank moon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby fuzzy-hair-man » Apr 6, 2006 10:00 pm

NZcaver wrote:Have you read the thread "First Harness"?

:oops: I'd read it previously but forgotten about it. Sort of suggests both will be fine :grin:

hank_moon wrote:If the maillon rotates, the harness is not tight enough.

I agree it helps, but I have had my harness done up as tight as practical(breath in, further,.. squeeze ah, got it) and still had it happen although not as much.

hank_moon wrote:The Pit Viper is on sale at REI outlet...

It's tempting :oops:
fuzzy-hair-man
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Apr 6, 2006 10:35 pm

fuzzy-hair-man wrote:
NZcaver wrote:Have you read the thread "First Harness"?

:oops: I'd read it previously but forgotten about it. Sort of suggests both will be fine :grin:

Yes, and it also talks about the Gonzo Guano Gear (GGG) harnesses. Personally I only have their frog chest harness (which is excellent), but I know several cavers who have GGG seat harnesses and are very happy with them. Generally they have a bit less padding and bulk than many other harnesses, but are still fairly hard-wearing.

Interesting that you mention the maillon rotating on the Petzl Fractio. All of my harnesses have reinforced soft loops at the maillon attachment point, but I've met many cavers who swear by the metal loops. Personally, I'm fine without them... :cool:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby fuzzy-hair-man » Apr 6, 2006 11:19 pm

I first looked at the GGG harness (Caver Seat Harness) and liked it but the Pit Viper seems pretty similar and has better protection against rub points particularly the buckles - moved to the inside leg.

I haven't really been worried about having the leg loop buckles on the inside of my legs (petzl harness has them there).

Also looked at Aspring (New Zealand), Howies Harnesses, Muruck + Technibat? (French), also SRTE(Australia), Yates, Edelrid, various others...
fuzzy-hair-man
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Apr 6, 2006 11:43 pm

fuzzy-hair-man wrote:I first looked at the GGG harness (Caver Seat Harness) and liked it but the Pit Viper seems pretty similar and has better protection against rub points particularly the buckles - moved to the inside leg.

I haven't really been worried about having the leg loop buckles on the inside of my legs (petzl harness has them there).

Also looked at Aspring (New Zealand), Howies Harnesses, Muruck + Technibat? (French), also SRTE(Australia), Yates, Edelrid, various others...

On the few occasions I've used harnesses with the buckles on the inside of the legs, I found they rubbed annoyingly. Your experience may differ, but that was my impression. :cry:

Aspiring harnesses? I remember those from my days caving back in NZ. I just looked at their website, and they still make their old "Classic" model. OK for an abseiling harness - but not so good (efficient) for frogging. It doesn't look like they make any maillon-style harnesses, actually. Best you stick with some of the other brands... :wink:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby Herman Miller » Apr 7, 2006 7:16 pm

my first and only harness has been the PMI Pit Viper, for the short drops here in Nevada it has worked out great in fact i have only ascended via frog with it and it didnt seem to give any problems. The one beef I have and its probably my own fault for ordering it in a "normal" size is it is slightly loose
Herman Miller NSS# 55273SU BOG Candidate 2010, 2012
Herman Miller
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: herman miller
NSS #: 55273
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Permian Basin Speleological Society

I've got an On-Rope 1 Goliath harness

Postby Nuke » Apr 7, 2006 8:59 pm

I had been frogging with a Petzl Corax harness, which is a climbing rather than a frogging harness. The Petzl was well made and comfortable, but I like my new Goliath harness much more. In addition to being properly designed for frogging, the comfort level and workmanship are even better.

Nuke
Robert "Nuke" Thompson
Nuke
Infrequent Poster

Return to On Rope!