V-Sit?

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

V-Sit?

Postby Amazingracer » May 29, 2012 8:55 am

So apparently the Bridge Day Application this year asks folks if they can perform a "V-sit". However no one that I have talked to seems to know what this is.

Our best guess is a fancy way of being able to sit in your harness while rappelling. But who knows.

Google just results in gymnastics/yoga moves so I am guessing that is not the same here.

Any ideas?
Amazingracer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kyle Gochenour
NSS #: 58846
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Re: V-Sit?

Postby Scott McCrea » May 29, 2012 8:59 am

Never heard of it.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby Phil Winkler » May 29, 2012 9:13 am

Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Postby Chads93GT » May 29, 2012 9:53 am

dude im on the safety team and even I dont know what in the hell that is. I clicked yes........................
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby PeterFJohnson » May 29, 2012 10:49 am

A v-sit is also an alternative way to do a sit up. Not sure if that is what the bridge day masters that be are looking for.
PeterFJohnson
Prolific Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado Grotto + GVKS

Postby Chads93GT » May 29, 2012 11:37 am

Im sure it has to do with simply having the core strength to sit upright in your harness for..............10 minutes. Years ago a big dude couldnt and he fell backwards. He was wiped out and couldnt even reach his rack. he was belayed to the ground.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby chh » May 29, 2012 3:56 pm

Chads93GT wrote:Im sure it has to do with simply having the core strength to sit upright in your harness for..............10 minutes. Years ago a big dude couldnt and he fell backwards. He was wiped out and couldnt even reach his rack. he was belayed to the ground.

Wait, really? That's not some kind of EXTREME RAPPELLING! urban legend? Maybe he was narcoleptic? Or had really bad vertigo? Or was super, super drunk?
Your words of caution are no match for my disaster style!
chh
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: caleb
NSS #: 55745

Postby Scott McCrea » May 29, 2012 4:44 pm

chh wrote:
Chads93GT wrote:Im sure it has to do with simply having the core strength to sit upright in your harness for..............10 minutes. Years ago a big dude couldnt and he fell backwards. He was wiped out and couldnt even reach his rack. he was belayed to the ground.

Wait, really? That's not some kind of EXTREME RAPPELLING! urban legend? Maybe he was narcoleptic? Or had really bad vertigo? Or was super, super drunk?

The dude in question had poor technique for varying the friction on his rack. He was feeding rope at the top and quickly got tired, frustrated and eventually tuckered out. Then, made a mistake he didn't have the energy to correct. This dude was on belay, but it didn't work. He was injured when landed in the ditch next to the RR tracks.

If this is the sort of thing they are looking for, it could be a set up to hold top-heavy rappellers upright. Something like a chest harness with a tether riding just above the rack. But, that's just a guess.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby Amazingracer » May 29, 2012 8:26 pm

Cool. Thanks for the info. Even though Im back in Utah. Its having to deal with nonsense like this that I would pass on Bridge Day. Its fun and all but it can quickly become a hassle. It shouldnt take a forum post to understand an application question.
Amazingracer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kyle Gochenour
NSS #: 58846
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby Jeff Bartlett » May 29, 2012 8:34 pm

I think a clearer way to put it on the form would have been like this:
Q: Are you so morbidly obese, out-of-shape and unskilled at rappelling that you are a likely danger to yourself and those around you? Y/N
"Although it pains me to say it, in this case Jeff is right. Plan accordingly." --Andy Armstrong
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Bartlett
NSS #: 59325
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Tennessee Cave Survey

Postby Chads93GT » May 29, 2012 8:52 pm

Lol Jeff.

As for the it's you and Your team leaders call as to wether or not you need a chest harness. It would also be my call not to let you go a second time if you fit Jeff's description. Lol.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to On Rope!