Something for H Harness users to try

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Something for H Harness users to try

Postby Rick Brinkman » May 20, 2012 7:56 pm

I intended to shoot the H and Y harness video today. There were too many mowers going, so I decided to test a few things.

Somewhere on the internet(I can't find it again) I read that MTDE's "H" harness, the Piri, is supposed to connect directly to the 1/2 round.

As far as I know, H harnesses are "supposed" to connect to the seat harness at the X of the leg loop and the belt. I hadn't thought of connecting directly to the 1/2 round.

Connected to harness

Connected to 1/2 round

As you can see, it's a 3-5 degree difference. That may not seem like much, but for anyone that is top-heavy and using the Frog System....it is a BIG difference. (Both photos are taken when I was completely relaxed.)

I did notice two issues to be aware of:
1 It clutters up your 1/2 round with two more things.
2 Depending on how the harness is adjusted, the lower straps might dig into your sides directly under your rib cage.

I also tried connecting the H Harness through the harness loops that the 1/2 round is attached to. Not a lot of difference...and it reduced the clutter on the 1/2 round.

Anyway....give all three a try above ground.
Caves are rare and precious things. Cavers...even more so. Treat each accordingly.
NSS#42385(not current...give me a reason to change...(Sept 2010))
http://www.CoffeeCreekGear.com
Rick Brinkman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: mt_vertcaver
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Montana-Independent

Return to On Rope!