CONCEPT FRIDAY - Figure 8 Chest Harness-Version 1

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Postby Rick Brinkman » Apr 27, 2012 6:23 pm

4/27/2012

This is my take on a "Figure 8" type chest harness. It has the adjustment buckles on the torso side to keep buckles from being under backpack straps. It has a large backpad with an adjustable strap that attaches to the seat harness.

I think the backpad is probably too big, but I'll have to do some testing on rope first. It surprised me how comfortable it is to walk around in. The shoulder straps also stay in place much better than I thought they would. Testing on rope should be fun.

I built this harness in anticipation of a series of videos I will be making to show my approach to chest harness design. I needed a "Figure 8" type harness and didn't have one.

Image Image
Caves are rare and precious things. Cavers...even more so. Treat each accordingly.
NSS#42385(not current...give me a reason to change...(Sept 2010))
http://www.CoffeeCreekGear.com
Rick Brinkman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: mt_vertcaver
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Montana-Independent

Re: CONCEPT FRIDAY - Figure 8 Chest Harness-Version 1

Postby BrianC » Apr 29, 2012 6:02 pm

Now that is a very useful item! Looks good Rick!
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby chh » Apr 29, 2012 7:18 pm

Couple of things come to mind. First, not all the buckles are on the front. You still have one adjustment point that is behind the back. And while the long tail might make it easy to adjust something behind your back (like a wetsuit zipper) I wouldn't want something like that floating around behind me waiting to get caught on stuff.
Second, I can't help but notice where the straps on the front of you seem to be placed. Ever seen a marathon runner with bloddy nipples? Get those straps OFF the more sensitive parts of your upper anatomy.
Your words of caution are no match for my disaster style!
chh
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: caleb
NSS #: 55745

Postby Rick Brinkman » Apr 30, 2012 2:54 pm

Long tail: Forgot to cut it shorter before I took the photo. On a "new" harness I always make the straps extra long.

Placement: Until I get on rope with it....I won't know where it actually know where the final "fit" will be.

Waiting for some sun........
Caves are rare and precious things. Cavers...even more so. Treat each accordingly.
Rick Brinkman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby driggs » Apr 30, 2012 4:07 pm

A "figure 8" chest harness does not need to attach to the rear waist strap of the climbing harness; in fact, one of the advantages of this style chest harness over some others (eg. Petzl Torse) is that it doesn't give you a "harness wedgie".
driggs
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: David A. Riggs
NSS #: 56189
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Monongahela

Postby Rick Brinkman » May 1, 2012 12:51 pm

driggs wrote:A "figure 8" chest harness does not need to attach to the rear waist strap of the climbing harness; in fact, one of the advantages of this style chest harness over some others (eg. Petzl Torse) is that it doesn't give you a "harness wedgie".

I wanted to have a "Figure 8" that will show both configurations with a couple of different seat harness options. Easy to disconnect/reconnect to show what happens.
Rick Brinkman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to On Rope!