Split Frog System

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Split Frog System

Postby cavercrane97 » Apr 18, 2012 12:12 am

I am about to start building my frog climbing system and I was wondering if anybody uses a split frog. I read about it on the internet and it sounded like it may be a little more effecient than the basic frog system. If you use a split frog, please give me some pointers and your opinion on how well it works. Thanks!! :cavingrocks:
cavercrane97
Occasional Poster

Name: Brandon Crane
NSS #: 62866
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Huntsville Grotto

Re: Split Frog System

Postby chh » Apr 18, 2012 7:00 am

Never heard of it. Are you referring to one of the couple different variations on a frog achieved with a pantin?
Your words of caution are no match for my disaster style!
chh
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: caleb
NSS #: 55745

Postby Chads93GT » Apr 18, 2012 9:54 am

Never heard of that either. Ive seen lots of people use pantins on either foot, of their frog system, making it much more efficient and easier to self start........ ive never used a pantin.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby cavercrane97 » Apr 18, 2012 6:25 pm

I am referring to the addition of a Pantin to increase the efficiency of the Frog System. I was reading through a few websites and what you described was called a split frog or Frogwalker. Do you have any comments on possibly adding this to my frog system?
cavercrane97
Occasional Poster

Postby potholer » Apr 18, 2012 7:30 pm

Personally I love my Pantin, not that I do much in the way of pseudo-ropewalking with it, but as well as helping keep rope running through the system even from the pitch bottom, it allows some variety in stepping on long ascents, is good if against a wall, great in narrow pitches,and makes various non-ideal pitchheads far easier to negotiate.

One thing I do find very useful is a chicken loop for the hand-jammer's footloop to avoid stepping out of (or through) the footloop if that foot and my hands get out of sync.
Also, the wear protection tubular tape does tend to slide along under the foot away from the Pantin body.
With my latest replacement footloop, knowing I don't adjust the position, I got it set up right and than tacked the footstrap and protection tape into position with some strong thread running through both.
potholer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby cavercrane97 » Apr 19, 2012 9:33 am

The addition of the Pantin sounds like a very great idea. Does it every get tangled or on the way though?
cavercrane97
Occasional Poster

Postby Stridergdm » Apr 19, 2012 12:05 pm

I've been meaning to pick up a pantin to practice with. The first time I borrowed one, it felt very awkward. The second time I borrowed one, I felt like I was getting the hang of it.

I think especially for longer drops it would really help me (since with my legs and my form, I don't keep my legs under meas much as I'd like.)
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Greg Moore
Primary Grotto Affiliation: RPI Grotto

Postby Lava » Apr 19, 2012 12:44 pm

I hated my Pantin at first, but once I got used to it I saw a large increase in efficiency. It's not worth the hassle to use one on short trips or short drops, but if you're doing really big drops or lots of drops on a long trip, especially if you're carrying a heavy load, then it's a necessity.
Lava
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bruce White
NSS #: 39223
Primary Grotto Affiliation: San Francisco Bay Chapter

Postby potholer » Apr 19, 2012 1:29 pm

One thing that is worth remembering is that the Pantin foot should be well back, to avoid increasing wear on the front of the croll - if one leg needs to go forwards to fend off a wall, it's better to use the non-Pantin one.
potholer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby cavercrane97 » Apr 19, 2012 9:32 pm

Thanks guys for the information. It really helps me to know the opinions of people who have used the pantin. I'll more than likely further my training with the edition of it so long climbs will be easier. I may be asking about a few other pieces of gear in the next few weeks. :cave softly:
cavercrane97
Occasional Poster

Postby chh » Apr 20, 2012 7:09 am

I don't find the pantin all that more helpful for self starting, but it can be helpful at tricky undercut lips.
There are a couple different variations of frog-walkers. The one I like best comes with the addition of a section of bungee.
Croll stays where it is. Upper ascender goes below the croll. Shorten your footloop so the upper becomes a knee ascender. Using a basic here instead of a jug helps. Attach the piece of bungee from the top of your lower ascender and attach it to your harness loop either directly in front or up and over one shoulder. Presto, a hands free frog walker.
Your words of caution are no match for my disaster style!
chh
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: caleb
NSS #: 55745

Postby GroundquestMSA » May 2, 2012 8:00 am

Split Frog, by the way, would be a fine name for a cave system.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to On Rope!