Mitchell System Tips and Tricks for Newbies

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Re: Mitchell System Tips and Tricks for Newbies

Postby PaulSiegel86 » Mar 12, 2012 8:40 pm

Excellent points, Gary.

I had not heard of the Halliday book, was able to find a used edition for $5.

Plus I like the addition to your signature (either it wasn't there before, or I just noticed it)
PaulSiegel86
Occasional Poster

Postby scrambler » Mar 13, 2012 11:43 am

Hi Paul!
I use a large CMI Large Ultrascender for my upper ascender and it contains two holes at the bottom of the ascender body. One hole is dedicated for my footloop, which will go through one of the rollers in my chest box. The other hole I attach cordage that goes to my sit harness. When I climb, the cordage attached to my sit harness is NOT included in the roller. Actually, it runs pretty smoothly next to the roller that the corresponding footloop is in. I understand that this technique may not work for everyone, but it's served me well the last few years. One reason I think it works so well is that that cordage connecting me to my sit harness is a bit thinner than the one used for the footloop--not ideal, but works great for me.

For peace of mind, if you can't find a way to attach the upper ascender to your sit harness, I'd clip the Croll onto the rope and let it ride up w/ you, especially on longer drops. Since you already have included it into your system, if it run smoothly, it seems silly not to use it. :big grin:
scrambler
Frequent Poster

Postby gdstorrick » Mar 13, 2012 6:32 pm

Post deleted.
Last edited by gdstorrick on Jul 8, 2012 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
gdstorrick
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Gary Storrick
NSS #: 12967
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Pittsburgh

Postby ON_ROPE » Mar 22, 2012 7:57 pm

For Mitchell System info see "ON ROPE" Padgett/Smith 1996 page 146-147. It is the system I continue to use. A most versitile system for most any cave trip.

Safe Cavin,
Allen Padgett
ON_ROPE
Occasional Poster

NSS #: 10371
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Pigeon Mountain Grotto

Previous

Return to On Rope!