Aluminum deposits on rope

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Aluminum deposits on rope

Postby Adam Byrd » Sep 17, 2005 10:56 pm

Hi everyone,

I have heard that that the aluminum deposits left on ropes by aluminum brake bars are harmful to the rope. Is this true? If so, what is the mechanism by which the rope is harmed by the aluminum?
Adam Byrd
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 56537
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Team Poseidon

Postby Mark620 » Sep 18, 2005 8:36 am

Besides the discoloration of the rope,
The deposits left on the rope turns into aluminum Oxide (Al2O3).
Aluminum Oxide is the abrasive in (most) sandpaper.
Mark620
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 55638
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cave Owners Club _ I own Caves

Postby Scott McCrea » Sep 18, 2005 9:14 am

Mark620 wrote:Aluminum Oxide is the abrasive in (most) sandpaper.
So, what grit size is the stuff found on ropes? I bet it's so small, it's more likely to polish the rope than abrade it.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby Adam Byrd » Sep 18, 2005 9:56 am

Ok, that makes sense that all of those tiny Aluminum Oxide particles could abrade the rope, however, I haven't found anything exlicitly stating that. Has anyone come across any serious studies or articles on this subject?
Adam Byrd
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 56537
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Team Poseidon

Postby Mark620 » Sep 18, 2005 10:08 am

Scott McCrea wrote:So, what grit size is the stuff found on ropes? I bet it's so small, it's more likely to polish the rope than abrade it.

Small, verry small...etc.

Besides, unless the rope is in motion, no damage would occur.
Mark620
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 55638
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cave Owners Club _ I own Caves

Postby hank moon » Sep 18, 2005 10:59 am

Adam Byrd wrote:Ok, that makes sense that all of those tiny Aluminum Oxide particles could abrade the rope, however, I haven't found anything exlicitly stating that. Has anyone come across any serious studies or articles on this subject?

I think all those tiny AL oxide particles abrade the rope far less than sand, mud, rock abrasion, etc. Far as I know, rope damage from AL friction device use is a myth. A pretty prevalent one, too. Kinda like the one about damage from stepping on the rope. There has been at least one published study about that one (see 12 and 13, below). In my experience, damage from some other source (rockfall, poor edge protection, etc.) will get a rope long before anything else. I think The AL oxide myth was invented by folks who didn't like their ropes gettin' all gray and dingy...

Report (winter 97/98 ) from the president of the UIAA safety commission, Pitt Schubert. His considerable experience of investigating dynamic climbing ropes produced some of the following findings....

1. Ropes cannot break in the tie in knot, or at the running belay.

2. Any rope can break when loaded over a sharp edge. It is not possible to produce a rope that is strong enough not to break when loaded over a sharp edge, however, the maximum chance for survival is with a new rope.

3. Use of twin rope has cut down on breakages.

4. There have been no known rope failures in sport climbing

5. Car battery acid damages ropes and cannot visibly be detected. In Germany there have been at three known cases where this has happened.

6.Petrol and Diesel do not damage ropes, even when left overnight to soak! WD40 caused no damage either.

7. Coke (the drinking variety) was not found to compromise the strength of a rope.

8. Autan (insect repellent), although damaging to plastic, was not found to damage ropes...in fact strength was slightly increased.

9. Sea water did not affect the strength of ropes.

10. Ropes soaked overnight in urine had their strength reduced by 30%, however, only when loaded over a sharp edge would this matter.

11. UV radiation does NOT damage ropes. Nylon is UV stabilised and only the colour will be lost.

12. Standing on a rope loaded over a right-angled metal edge with three times body weight did not reduce a ropes strength.

13. Standing on a rope in the snow with crampons did no damage. Neither did standing on it on rock with a 75kg body weight.In a further test Crampon points were forced right through the rope with no strength reduction/damage occurring!

14. The strength of frozen and wet ropes was reduced,but again, unless the rope is loaded over a sharp edge it would not matter.

15. The suggested lifespan of 10 years which has been given for ropes is to help the user determine lifespan . However, after contact with ICI it was found that although after 10 years there was a measurable degradation in nylon (not just in ropes, but all nylon textiles) ageing itself would not cause a rope to break, unless it was loaded over a sharp edge.

16. Top roping damaged ropes, but the damage was visible and could be felt, as was damage from stonefall.

hank
hank moon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Squirrel Girl » Sep 18, 2005 4:20 pm

Mark620 wrote:The deposits left on the rope turns into aluminum Oxide (Al2O3).
Aluminum Oxide is the abrasive in (most) sandpaper.

I don't think that's true. The abrasive in sand paper is CORUNDUM (or garnet). But that's not what aluminum metal oxidizes to. I'll bet it's hydrated, but I'm not a metalurgist, and don't know huge amounts about that end of it. Corundum is a high temperature, high pressure mineral, if I recall correctly. Thermodynamically, it wouldn't naturally form here at earth surface temps and pressures.
Besides the discoloration of the rope,
That's the real reason people who don't take their ropes into anything but open air pits don't want people using aluminum on their ropes. They have this cleanliness fetish.
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby Caver » Sep 18, 2005 7:55 pm

quote]That's the real reason people who don't take their ropes into anything but open air pits don't want people using aluminum on their ropes. They have this cleanliness fetish.[/quote]

I have never been concerned about using AL bars on my ropes, except for the ugly black marks it makes on my coveralls. After all, AL bars was the only thing used for years, until stainless came along and I do not recall many people dying or very many ropes breaking because of the use of AL. I am also very safety concious, but think things like sand, rough edges, and the like are more damaging to ropes than the minute amount of AL deposited on ropes while rappelling.

Just an opinion
Caver
Infrequent Poster

Postby Cheryl Jones » Sep 18, 2005 10:11 pm

Hey, we always figured that was "status" black on a rope. It meant lots of vertical caving and experience. Didn't hurt nuthin' and looked very cool. :wink: Like the status marks across the arms and back of our jean jackets from arm rappels. They went along with the "status grooves" in our brake bars and on the cams and shells of our Gibbs ascenders. I even had a status groove in my G-shock watch band for years from an arm rappel. :kewl:

Cheryl :rofl:
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby Lava » Sep 18, 2005 11:46 pm

Squirrel Girl wrote:The abrasive in sand paper is CORUNDUM (or garnet).

Actually, corundum is ruby/sapphire, not garnet. Sorry to be a picky bastard! :D
Lava
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bruce White
NSS #: 39223
Primary Grotto Affiliation: San Francisco Bay Chapter

Postby Squirrel Girl » Sep 19, 2005 5:13 am

Lava wrote:
Squirrel Girl wrote:The abrasive in sand paper is CORUNDUM (or garnet).

Actually, corundum is ruby/sapphire, not garnet. Sorry to be a picky bastard! :D
Actually, ruby and sapphires are types of corundum.

And, the "or garnet" MEANT to say that there can be garnet sandpaper. So sandpaper can be made from corundum. Or sandpaper can be made from garnet.

That's for pointing that out. Wouldn't want people being confused.
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby hunter » Sep 19, 2005 10:33 am

Hey Hank,
Do you have a link or reference for the report you quoted? I would be very interested in reading it.

Hunter
hunter
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby hank moon » Sep 19, 2005 11:10 am

hunter wrote:Hey Hank,
Do you have a link or reference for the report you quoted? I would be very interested in reading it.

Working on it. I got the info in my original post from

http://www.pete-smith.co.uk/ropewear.htm

A summary of the "step on rope" report (along with other interesting stuff) is here:

http://www.alpineclubofcanada.ca/servic ... index.html

Note that the reports concern the performance of dynamic climbing ropes, which are made of 100% nylon. I think the results can be probably be used (within reason) to make some good predictions about static and low-stretch ropes of similar materials and construction. Use the head, not the knee! I have not read the original reports (except the summary of "step on" on the ACC site), but should be able to get the source material from friends in Europe...will post back if/when I do.

hank
hank moon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby hunter » Sep 19, 2005 1:30 pm

Hank,
Thanks for the info! The gas/diesal is what I'm really curious about. I've always kind of worried about keeping a gas can in the truck with all my gear.
I'm kind of amazed by the crampon thing. Maybe because most crampons have points but not really sharp edges they seperate fibers in a rope but don't cut them.

Hunter
hunter
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby cob » Sep 19, 2005 6:45 pm

It is all a matter of abrasion. SG: Al oxide IS one of the many things used for sand paper... garnet is another. That said I never worried about AL bars on my ropes. I agree the particles are so fine... give me a break.

When it comes to walking on ropes... better not on mine. Your boots may be as soft as a babies butt... but the chert underneath it can be fractured sharper than a surgeons scalpel (I don't give a RAT'S ASS about some study that says crampons don't hurt rope... I KNOW CHERT DOES!!!!!!) and I HATE cutting off the last 20-25 feet of rope.

My opinion... and several others as well.

tom
cob
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Next

Return to On Rope!