Frog leg loop measurements???

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Frog leg loop measurements???

Postby Camo Rambo » Feb 10, 2012 4:22 pm

Hey Everyone
Does anyone have a good rule of thumb technique for measuring out your lengths for a double leg loop on a frog system?
Camo Rambo
Infrequent Poster

Re: Frog leg loop measurements???

Postby David Grimes » Feb 10, 2012 4:30 pm

I always try to keep mine as short as possible. The key is making sure you can stand all the way up without your upper ascender and your chest ascender getting to close to each other. That is how I was taught to setup a frog system when I first got started and everyone I have caved with uses a similar length. You can also check out this link for a good overall description of the frog system Click Here.
David Grimes
Admin

NSS #: 59533
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Underground Society

Postby NZcaver » Feb 10, 2012 4:39 pm

What David just said, and he beat me to the punch posting that link. However be aware that there are differing opinions about the finer points of frog systems and optional variations. There's at least a hundred topics on the forum about the finer points of frog systems!

Quick and dirty method for footloop length - with loop(s) already tied, measure floor to belly button plus a little extra to allow for knots.

Better method, get your gear on and hang on rope. At full extension of the legs, the cam on your upper ascender should about touch the cam on your chest ascender attached to your seat harness.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Camo Rambo » Feb 10, 2012 6:29 pm

hey i appreciate it gentleman the info and the websites answered all my questions thanks!!
Camo Rambo
Infrequent Poster

Postby Smells_Familiar » Feb 10, 2012 9:59 pm

David Grimes wrote: Click Here.

Hey, it's Jim Morrison in turquoise spandex!
Smells_Familiar
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 64838
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Central Indiana Grotto

Return to On Rope!