Petzal Black Gear

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Petzal Black Gear

Postby killian » Feb 3, 2012 6:36 pm

I was just wondering besides the look, what is so diff about the black gear petzal is putting out? y is is way more expensive? to dye metal black costs 10 to 20 bucks more? i mean i like the way it looks but unless some1 buys it for me im not pay that much extra for black vs colored... :woohoo: i guess my question really is y so expensive and is there ppl out there buying it?
Man i sure do like caving.....
killian
Prolific Poster
 
Posts: 134
Joined: Nov 13, 2006 10:31 pm
Location: Calvert County, Maryland
Name: Killian McCarthy
NSS #: 58343
  

Re: Petzal Black Gear

Postby wyandottecaver » Feb 3, 2012 6:50 pm

SWAT, Spec Ops, Ninjas, Teenage kids lookin to be cool....
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
User avatar
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster
 
Posts: 2902
Joined: Aug 24, 2007 8:44 pm
Location: Indiana
  

Re: Petzl Black Gear

Postby snoboy » Feb 3, 2012 7:28 pm

Theatre and film crew guys like it. the premium is likely due to smaller volumes?
snoboy
Prolific Poster
 
Posts: 176
Joined: Apr 6, 2009 10:05 pm
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BC Speleological Federation
  

Re: Petzal Black Gear

Postby wyandottecaver » Feb 3, 2012 8:29 pm

price is driven by demand. blue, red, purple might be preferences. but there is a segment of users who "need" black, and will pay extra. What is funny is that black markings are often used to denote bad, dangerous, or damaged equipment...... :roll:
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
User avatar
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster
 
Posts: 2902
Joined: Aug 24, 2007 8:44 pm
Location: Indiana
  

Re: Petzl Black Gear

Postby NZcaver » Feb 4, 2012 12:46 am

The Petzl tactical gear is anodized or powder coated, not dyed. Unless you pay retail, the price isn't too much different. I have a black tactical rig stashed away somewhere. It's a must-have for all the cool kids. :cool:

Black is also the official color of caves everywhere. :woohoo: :big grin:
User avatar
NZcaver
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 6316
Joined: Sep 7, 2005 2:05 am
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: CCG
  

Re: Petzl Black Gear

Postby Stridergdm » Feb 4, 2012 11:46 am

NZcaver wrote:The Petzl tactical gear is anodized or powder coated, not dyed. Unless you pay retail, the price isn't too much different. I have a black tactical rig stashed away somewhere. It's a must-have for all the cool kids. :cool:

Black is also the official color of caves everywhere. :woohoo: :big grin:


Years ago another certain cave rescue person and I were discussing what color lights we should roll with, assuming cave rescue vehicles ever had flashing lights like police cars and fire trucks.

We realized the only logical answer of course was blacklights.
Cavers rescue cavers!
User avatar
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster
 
Posts: 922
Joined: Nov 1, 2005 10:08 am
Location: Capital District NY and Northern Virginia
Name: Greg Moore
Primary Grotto Affiliation: RPI Grotto
  

Re: Petzal Black Gear

Postby wyandottecaver » Feb 4, 2012 5:35 pm

Black ropes on the other hand are prone to being mistaken for snakes by axe wielding boy scouts....
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
User avatar
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster
 
Posts: 2902
Joined: Aug 24, 2007 8:44 pm
Location: Indiana
  

Re: Petzl Black Gear

Postby NZcaver » Feb 4, 2012 5:53 pm

wyandottecaver wrote:Black ropes on the other hand are prone to being mistaken for snakes by axe wielding boy scouts....

Anybody who mistakes a black rope for a snake would probably also mistake a stripey climbing rope for one too...

Quick! Respond with blacklights and sirens! :banana_yay:
User avatar
NZcaver
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 6316
Joined: Sep 7, 2005 2:05 am
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: CCG
  

Re: Petzl Black Gear

Postby Jeff Bartlett » Feb 4, 2012 9:43 pm

Stridergdm wrote:assuming cave rescue vehicles ever had flashing lights like police cars and fire trucks.


Whaddya mean "assuming?"
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hp ... 0287_n.jpg

:)
"Although it pains me to say it, in this case Jeff is right. Plan accordingly." --Andy Armstrong
User avatar
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster
 
Posts: 948
Joined: Jun 29, 2007 12:19 am
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Name: Jeff Bartlett
NSS #: 59325
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Tennessee Cave Survey
  

Re: Petzal Black Gear

Postby Rick Brinkman » Feb 4, 2012 10:12 pm

Stridergdm wrote:
NZcaver wrote:We realized the only logical answer of course was blacklights.


LOL!!!! Awesome idea!!!!! :big grin:
Caves are rare and precious things. Cavers...even more so. Treat each accordingly.
NSS#42385(not current...give me a reason to change...(Sept 2010))
http://www.CoffeeCreekGear.com
User avatar
Rick Brinkman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster
 
Posts: 376
Joined: Sep 5, 2005 6:54 pm
Location: Coffee Creek, MT
Name: mt_vertcaver
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Montana-Independent
  

Re: Petzl Black Gear

Postby Stridergdm » Feb 4, 2012 11:15 pm

NZcaver wrote:
wyandottecaver wrote:Black ropes on the other hand are prone to being mistaken for snakes by axe wielding boy scouts....

Anybody who mistakes a black rope for a snake would probably also mistake a stripey climbing rope for one too...

Quick! Respond with blacklights and sirens! :banana_yay:


Unfortunately, the sirens can only be heard in the infrasonic range. :bananabat:
Cavers rescue cavers!
User avatar
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster
 
Posts: 922
Joined: Nov 1, 2005 10:08 am
Location: Capital District NY and Northern Virginia
Name: Greg Moore
Primary Grotto Affiliation: RPI Grotto
  

Re: Petzl Black Gear

Postby NZcaver » Feb 5, 2012 1:18 am

Jeff Bartlett wrote:
Stridergdm wrote:assuming cave rescue vehicles ever had flashing lights like police cars and fire trucks.

Whaddya mean "assuming?"

Yep. :woohoo:

Image
User avatar
NZcaver
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 6316
Joined: Sep 7, 2005 2:05 am
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: CCG
  

Re: Petzl Black Gear

Postby paul » Feb 5, 2012 9:29 am

NZcaver wrote:
Jeff Bartlett wrote:
Stridergdm wrote:assuming cave rescue vehicles ever had flashing lights like police cars and fire trucks.

Whaddya mean "assuming?"

Yep. :woohoo:

Image


But that's a Cave Rescue Organisation vehicle in the UK where we don't use black lights. :grin:
paul
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster
 
Posts: 513
Joined: Dec 9, 2005 7:46 am
Location: Peak District, UK
Name: Paul Lydon
  


Return to On Rope!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users