concerned noob!!

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

concerned noob!!

Postby graveleye » Mar 30, 2006 4:47 pm

Hey folks.. i've been lurking for a little while. My wife and I are in our early 40s, the kids are all moved out and on their own and we are ready for some adventure. I've done a lot of horizontal caving, but was frankly too chicken to consider getting on rope..

But hey, we got to talking and its now or never, because we wait another 10-20 years and we might not physically be able to do it, and if something does happen, we dont have babies to worry about..

So we're going to be attending some of the newbie rope sessions with our local grotto, and frankly the both of are stoked!!

Until I got to reading the thread down the page a little bit and all the nipple-pinching, shirt-stretching, hair-pulling stuff really got me squirming in my seat. (Both of us are pretty much hair-farmers :) )

Both of us are deadly serious when it comes to safety(bad pun), but that thread sort of made it seem a pretty commonplace occurance. Are these sorts of accidents and incedents described there avoidable by some serious attention to detail?

I am trying to educate myself as much as possible so I have some sort of idea what to expect - can you guys fill me in on what sorts of things to expect while in training?

Thanks for your time, and I look forward to getting to know y'all!
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Re: concerned noob!!

Postby mgmills » Mar 30, 2006 7:46 pm

graveleye wrote:
Until I got to reading the thread down the page a little bit and all the nipple-pinching, shirt-stretching, hair-pulling stuff really got me squirming in my seat. (Both of us are pretty much hair-farmers :) )

Both of us are deadly serious when it comes to safety(bad pun), but that thread sort of made it seem a pretty commonplace occurance. Are these sorts of accidents and incedents described there avoidable by some serious attention to detail?

I was 42 the first time I went caving and the first time I got on rope. I think that is a fine age to get started.

Regarding hair - tie it back and wear a bandana . . . and pay attention to where your hair is. Ponytails or braids are good but be sure you stay aware of where they are hanging. :-)

Regarding shirts and body parts getting caught. Wear body hugging clothing (not too tight because you want to be able to move well) and the risk is minimized. For women a "jog bra" is a good idea. . . regular bras are uncomfortable when caving (to me at least and I never wear one caving).
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby Scott McCrea » Mar 30, 2006 8:04 pm

graveleye wrote:I am trying to educate myself as much as possible so I have some sort of idea what to expect - can you guys fill me in on what sorts of things to expect while in training?

It really depends on who is doing the training and where it's being done. Things are done a little different in TAG compared to the Pacific NW, etc. Basically, you should learn the commands, knots, procedures, how to go up and down a rope, safety and trouble shooting. Or maybe you won't. Depends on who is teaching and how they like to do things. Everyone does it different. So, it's best to learn the same thing from different people and pick out the stuff you like. Reading and studying and chatting here will help a lot. Don't worry about equipment yet. Try what your teachers have and then decide on what will be best for you. Which is usually something very similar to what the people you will caving with are using. Have an open mind, don't go to fast, and listen carefully. Learn then practice. Then learn some more and then practice some more.

Thanks for your time, and I look forward to getting to know y'all!

Likewise. Where are you from?
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby Cheryl Jones » Mar 30, 2006 8:23 pm

Graveleye, this is the ticket:

Come to the NSS Convention in Bellingham WA this summer! :wtg: http://www.nss2006.com/ And when you register, sign up for the Vertical Session. You'll learn a lot and get to try out different pieces of equipment. In addition, you'll learn stuff just hanging around the Vertical Section while people try rigs, practice, and enter the rope races.

AND at the Convention you'll
-- meet a lot of cavers from around the country (read: caving buddies for when you head to their neck of the woods :waving: ),
--- learn a lot about caving, speleology, recent exploration, and a whole range of subjects, and be able to attend NSS Section meetings.
--- be able to cave in the northwest,
--- see the fabulous photos, art, and maps in the salons, and
--- generally have a great time. :woohoo:

Cheryl
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby RescueMan » Mar 30, 2006 9:35 pm

graveleye wrote:all the nipple-pinching, shirt-stretching, hair-pulling stuff really got me squirming in my seat.

If you ride a bicycle and you're not careful, you can get your pants caught in the sprocket.

Vertical caving is a lot safer than riding a bike. Learn the ropes, pay attention to what you're doing. Don't ever let enthusiasm, distraction, or the pressure of others allow you to neglect basic safety, and you'll be just fine.

- Robert
aVERT
a Vertical Emergency Response Training
to aVERT disaster in the VERTical environment
RescueMan
Prolific Poster

Postby chh » Mar 31, 2006 8:46 am

Welcome to both of you. You've already got some great advice. Learn all that you can from knowledgeable people. There is no "one way" to do things, someone who tells you that might not know as much as they profess to. Get to know the equipment's capabilities and your own. Learn to climb on knots! Learn to rig ropes properly. Practice things you don't think you'll ever need to do, because you never know (and it's fun). Practice in a controlled environment until you are comfy, and then go caving! ALWAYS use your brain, it's the most important piece of equipment you have. Don't forget to HAVE FUN.

-caleb
Your words of caution are no match for my disaster style!
chh
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: caleb
NSS #: 55745

Postby graveleye » Mar 31, 2006 9:05 am

wow thanks for the replies!! I feel very encouraged! I'm really excited about all this. Like I said, we had to put a lot of things on hold to raise a family(not that that is a bad thing at all), but now the sky is the limit.
I live in Duluth, Georgia... been in a bunch of TAG caves over the years, and some in south Georgia as well, but never any vertical stuff. I dont have a grotto family yet,... I used to know a few folks at the Dogwood City Grotto in Atlanta, but havent caved with any of them in a long long time - like over 15 years. I'm going to try to haul myself down there for the next meetings and see if they'll have me:)
Thanks again to each of you for your quick replies. I'll keep up with the forum, and if you guys hear of anything that might be useful to the new guy let me know!!
graveleye
Global Moderator

DCG Vertical Training

Postby Tim White » Mar 31, 2006 12:16 pm

Andy Zellner <andyzellner@hotmail.com> conducts a Vertical Training for DCG most every month. come to next months meeting and sign-up!

BTW- I live in Suwanee.
Last edited by Tim White on Mar 31, 2006 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Be safe,
Tim White 26949 RL FE

Southeastern Region Coordinator - NCRC
Editor, Nylon Highway
Senior Technical Manager - Over the Edge, Inc.
Tim White
Global Moderator

Re: DCG Vertical Training

Postby graveleye » Mar 31, 2006 12:33 pm

Tim White wrote:BTW- I'm live Suwanee.

well howdy, neighbor! I'm actually within spittin distance to Berkely Lake, on the very very edge of Duluth. Thanks for the tip - I hope to be at the next meeting!
graveleye
Global Moderator

Postby Scott McCrea » Mar 31, 2006 12:58 pm

:nuts:

:nyah:

OK Scott...:oops: I edited my post. It originally said “BTW- I’m in Suwaneeâ€
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby mgmills » Mar 31, 2006 1:27 pm

Suwanee GA . . . not to be confused with where I live in Sewanee TN

When you get your vertical training completed come up and see us (me and my hubby Glenn) . . . we have lots of vertical caves nearby here in Sewanee TN. We have lots of friends in DCG grotto - in fact we are members of the DCG in addition to our local Sewanee Moutntain Grotto.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Postby RescueMan » Mar 31, 2006 5:51 pm

graveleye wrote:but now the sky is the limit.

Maybe you're heading in the wrong direction? How 'bout sky diving?

Vertical caving is great fun, but you got to realize that you're headin' to hell! :hairpull:
aVERT
RescueMan
Prolific Poster

Postby RescueMan » Mar 31, 2006 5:54 pm

Scott McCrea wrote::kidding:

Well, I was going to ask you what the hey J/K means, but the emoticon is written "kidding" so I guess I just figured it out.

- me
aVERT
RescueMan
Prolific Poster

Postby graveleye » Apr 1, 2006 9:45 am

oooohhhh no.... It may be ironic, but I dont even like riding IN an airplane, much less jumping out of a perfectly good one!!! :eyecrazy:

Hehe...Terra Firma for me... and all parts beneath as well!!

I must be missing an inside joke here about Sewannee/Suwannee :razz:
graveleye
Global Moderator

Postby mgmills » Apr 1, 2006 12:59 pm

graveleye wrote:oooohhhh no.... It may be ironic, but I dont even like riding IN an airplane, much less jumping out of a perfectly good one!!! :eyecrazy:

Hehe...Terra Firma for me... and all parts beneath as well!!

I must be missing an inside joke here about Sewannee/Suwannee :razz:

I agree with you about jumping out of a perfectly good plane.

No joke intended about the locations. I was just sort of "razzing" Tim because I live closer to "big caves" than he does. :woohoo: I've known Tim for many years.
Last edited by mgmills on Apr 1, 2006 9:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Next

Return to On Rope!