New Sport - Free Solo Climbing in Caves

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Re: New Sport - Free Solo Climbing in Caves

Postby Chads93GT » Jan 30, 2012 11:31 am

Jon... I see that your argument is really about places like Yosemite being closed...........

"Of the 14 fatalities in the park so far this year, six drowned, two fell to their deaths, one died in an auto accident and five died from natural causes. Typically, between 12 and 15 people die in the park by year's end, though the number can vary widely. Last year 15 people died in Yosemite; the deadliest year was 1978, when 39 perished." Source: http://articles.latimes.com/2011/aug/15 ... 20110815/2

Even if he fell and died climbing half dome, Yosemite would still be open. People die at yosemite all the time, including deaths from climbing, yet its still open.

If he dies, he dies. Big deal. It wont close public places. it never has. hikers, backpackers, climbers all die, every year, yet parks remain open.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Jan 30, 2012 4:36 pm

Chads93GT wrote:If he dies, he dies. Big deal. It wont close public places. it never has. hikers, backpackers, climbers all die, every year, yet parks remain open.

Pity the same can't always be said for caves like Nutty Putty.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Jon » Jan 30, 2012 10:39 pm

Chad I think we are getting closer to an understanding. Yeah people die and for the most part they do so under the radar. MY main concern is that people who would throw GM under the bus for ratings and to save face ....well if they had a great free fall and bounce....well just think back about how many times you've seen JFKs head explode or Bobby twitching and kicking.... I just fear that had he failed that they would have found a sensational way to recoup their investment and it would have cost ALL "extreme" sports dearly. Yeah the kid can climb, and yeah he has a pair the size of Texas and Alaska combined, but had something gone wrong the media more than likely would have put sparklers next to the gas tank to get the desired results. Person falls to death....no biggie....but person falls to death and we have footage....major story. Major story needs angle....angle grieving family members....find same and exploit. Maybe toss in a mouthy wanna be for good measure.....Yeah I have free climbed some (you climb where you can get injured....you free climb where you WILL die if you fall.....at least that is my definition) (sorry earlier I didn't differentiate between that and soloing...but to me any unprotected climb is well unprotected). I really wouldn't have had a problem with him or anybody doing that climb as long as there wasn't a major media "magazine" covering it at some expense to them. People have to understand that the media is only your friend as long as you serve their purposes. They can and do control for the most part what gets aired and they will never let you show them up. In other words they think they always get their way. And their way often boils down to nothing more than they don't lose money. Had the slightest freak thing gone wrong and this kid lost his life, their only concern would be how can we spin this so we don't lose our investment in time and $. And can we sensationalize this to turn a profit. And no matter how obnoxious and opinionated I have been on the subject, all things considered, the kid would have deserved a better epithet than what they would have given him.
Jon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 60164
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cochise County Cavers

Postby Jon » Jan 30, 2012 10:58 pm

Groundquestmsa
Theres a lot I might say about your comment, not sure if it's humor or snide, so I'll let it go....for now.
Jon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby GroundquestMSA » Jan 30, 2012 11:29 pm

There's a lot you might say about pretty much anything. :big grin: Knock yourself out.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Jon » Feb 5, 2012 1:02 am

I think I've said it all, some of it more than once. I'm not changing anyones mind and they aren't changing mine. :argue:
Jon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Previous

Return to On Rope!