Double Chest Roller?

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Double Chest Roller?

Postby PaulSiegel86 » Jan 5, 2012 2:33 pm

After experimenting with the frog system I'm thinking of making the switch to a Mitchell System. However, I'm having trouble finding options for Double chest rollers. I've checked Onrope 1, IMO, and Karst Sports even Bob and Bob, and the only one I'm seeing out there is the PMI.

Are there other options out there?

Thanks,

Paul
PaulSiegel86
Occasional Poster

Re: Double Chest Roller?

Postby BrianC » Jan 5, 2012 2:51 pm

why not go with the PMI? I have seen some wear out the edges where it would wear the ascender line through, but only with much use and gritty cave mud. :big grin:
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby PaulSiegel86 » Jan 5, 2012 3:51 pm

Thoroughness and cheapness. I want to make sure I've looked at all the options and $170 bucks is a quite a bit for a system I just want to try out.
PaulSiegel86
Occasional Poster

Postby Tito the Turtle » Jan 5, 2012 4:11 pm

Wow, 170 bucks? n.n; I'm glad I was able to try out both the frogging and ropewalking systems in class!
Troglophile
Tito the Turtle
Frequent Poster

Postby Chads93GT » Jan 5, 2012 4:16 pm

My life is worth $170. I have it. Simmons roller plate. No thanks.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby PaulSiegel86 » Jan 5, 2012 4:40 pm

Chads93GT wrote:My life is worth $170. I have it. Simmons roller plate. No thanks.

A chest roller in a ropewalker or mitchell is not a piece of personal protection as far as I know.

But back on topic, you don't know of any besides the PMI?

P.S. I'm willing to consider used equipment.
PaulSiegel86
Occasional Poster

Postby DeanWiseman » Jan 5, 2012 4:51 pm

PaulSiegel86 wrote:After experimenting with the frog system I'm thinking of making the switch to a Mitchell System. However, I'm having trouble finding options for Double chest rollers. I've checked Onrope 1, IMO, and Karst Sports even Bob and Bob, and the only one I'm seeing out there is the PMI.

Are there other options out there?

Thanks,

Paul

My first Mitchell used a double-Simmons setup. Howdy sewed it for me in 1992, using a piece of acrylic behind them for the plate. Heavy as a mofo...

I switched to the PMI double-roller and it was awesome. Some of the best money I ever spent. Paired with either a padded OR1 or a Pangea chest harness... tough to beat.

My guess is you'll have a hell of a time finding decent Simmons rollers (or the parts to keep them rolling smooth), and will have to shell out for custom sewing that won't do the job nearly as well. But each to their own.

Good luck!

-Dean
DeanWiseman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 32690
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Central Indiana Grotto

Postby Chads93GT » Jan 5, 2012 5:34 pm

PaulSiegel86 wrote:
Chads93GT wrote:My life is worth $170. I have it. Simmons roller plate. No thanks.

A chest roller in a ropewalker or mitchell is not a piece of personal protection as far as I know.

But back on topic, you don't know of any besides the PMI?

P.S. I'm willing to consider used equipment.

You're right. It's not

However it's a piece of cake to get off and on rope with when you're flat out exhausted. Simmons rollers are a pain in he ass to get on and off when you are weighting the system and are fatigued. Pmi is a walk in the park.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby gdstorrick » Jan 5, 2012 6:15 pm

Post deleted.
Last edited by gdstorrick on Jul 8, 2012 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
gdstorrick
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Gary Storrick
NSS #: 12967
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Pittsburgh

Postby Cody JW » Jan 5, 2012 8:39 pm

I have what is called ( I think) a Blumb Box . I bought it back in the early 90s from Inner Mountain. It is a double roller designed for Mitchell . I never used it as I had a frog for short drops and a ropewalker for long drops. I suspect Storrick knows more about this than I. I will sell it for 25 bucks plus shipping. I am sure it is not as nice as a PMI -R.E. but for your purposes it may be of some help for you to use to set up a system to see if you like it. If you do like the system it may be smart to spend the 170 for the PMI. If you are interested you can send me a PM with your e-mail and I can send you some photos. I think both rollers are on a single hinge. Or maybe you can borrow a PMI double roller from somebody as they are very popular just to see if you like the system.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Postby Cody JW » Jan 5, 2012 8:46 pm

Mine is listed on Storricks link as a Blum box version A.Second row from the top far right side.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Jan 5, 2012 9:45 pm

gdstorrick wrote:Maybe you will get lucky and find a good deal somewhere - I got one NEW on eBay last March for $31 :big grin:

You suck. :waving: But on the other hand... between your lifelong addiction to all gadgets vertical and the great online community service you offer, you are entitled to some breaks. I picked up a new PMI double a year ago for cheap too, but not THAT cheap. I've also got a couple of old single Simmons rollers I should sell off some time. No need for all that stuff with a frog system. :shrug:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby gjm6syn6 » Jan 7, 2012 10:10 am

There's a lot to be said on the versatility and ease of use with the pmi double chest roller. I have trouble doing a changeover with my long rack if I can't pull out the main line while leaving my upper on. I've always considered the chest roller a piece of protection equipment, something about not going into a heel hang and/or smacking my head on the cave wall...
gjm6syn6
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 62926
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Augusta Cave Masters

Postby PaulSiegel86 » Jan 8, 2012 1:03 pm

I'm beginning to realize that I'll probably have to save up for the PMI, as there is nothing else comparable out there. Plus, If I absolutely despise it, I could just sell it on the for sale forum.

As for a chest roller being a piece of personal protection I'm going to quibble yet again. If the only thing I attached to the rope was my chest roller, I would have a very smooth, very quick trip the bottom of the rope. Is it essential to the function of a ropewalker/mitchell system? Yes. Does it need to be strong and durable? Yes. But it is a piece of personal protection? No.
PaulSiegel86
Occasional Poster

Postby Cody JW » Jan 8, 2012 5:23 pm

If you buy the double PMI and do not like the Mitchell , you can still use it for a rope walker. I am sure you can sell something like that easy on this forum if you need to get rid of it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Next

Return to On Rope!