Can you reccommend a durable and inexpensive rope?

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Re: Can you reccommend a durable and inexpensive rope?

Postby shibumi » Nov 1, 2011 2:52 pm

Jeff Bartlett wrote:I'm impressed with how long this thread has dragged on, seeing as how it was answered correctly by the first reply.

Petzl Vector is neither more durable than PMI Pit Rope nor less expensive than PMI Pit Rope.
Why must we clutter every thread with 37 discordant opinions when some simple questions DO truly have simple answers?

4 days and 14 posts not counting this one and yours is dragging on? Especially when it includes additional questions from the OP and a followup report? Get out of the wrong side of the cave this morning? By your very posting it guarantees further draggage :big grin:
shibumi
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Further Draggage

Postby GroundquestMSA » Nov 1, 2011 3:55 pm

Jeff Bartlett wrote:I'm impressed with how long this thread has dragged on, seeing as how it was answered correctly by the first reply.

Petzl Vector is neither more durable than PMI Pit Rope nor less expensive than PMI Pit Rope.
Why must we clutter every thread with 37 discordant opinions when some simple questions DO truly have simple answers?

Thanks for your concern that my brain may melt while attempting to unravel the myriads of bizarre opinions. I was able to reach a clear and quick desicion thanks to the overwhelming support given PMI Pit. Do you think I would like making a choice based on a single response? I brought up Vector because I bought an end when buying my Pit Rope. It was cheap (a 42' end for $24) but useful for the baby caves I usually find myself in and I wondered about its durability.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Jeff Bartlett » Nov 1, 2011 4:14 pm

Oops, my bad, I forgot we're still 3 or 4 pages of off-topic blathering away from putting this thread to bed.

Though my personal preference is for PMI, I find that Vector has a nice, piquant after-dinner flavor; heavy, but with a touch of mellow smoothness.
"Although it pains me to say it, in this case Jeff is right. Plan accordingly." --Andy Armstrong
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Bartlett
NSS #: 59325
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Tennessee Cave Survey

Postby wyandottecaver » Nov 1, 2011 4:36 pm

Vector is a nice handling rope with a fair amount of bounce and mediocre durability for caving. The price was right, and the bounce shouldn't matter on short drops. Just remember it's not pit rope, so dont expect it to take a lot of abuse and falling 20ft instead of 200 is still falling :big grin:

*Jeff* answers to cave chat questions aren't created, they evolve....as do the questions themselves :tonguecheek:
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby LukeM » Nov 2, 2011 12:49 pm

I also bought a short end of Petzl Vector 7/16" to use on some small pits. It has a polyester sheath which I'm interested in comparing. Does anyone have any experience with this rope?

Jeff, can we not grant the power of derailing to the OP himself? Clearly, there was more info to convey than simply recommending a cheap, durable type of rope.

Also, while the thread was answered in the first post, the answer wasn't accompanied by any explanation. Whenever someone answers one of my questions without giving rationale for their answer (especially when talking about vertical equipment) I tend to give that answer low priority.
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Luke Mazza
NSS #: 59317
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Previous

Return to On Rope!