Classic rappelling instruction!

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Re: Classic rappelling instruction!

Postby wyandottecaver » Dec 28, 2011 6:45 pm

when your running a commercial cave winter is slow.....we got several keychain biners (that had a actual notch for the halves to meet in) and stress tested them. They did surprisingly well. You could slowly load them to about 450 lbs. You could gently bounce them (frogging) up to about 250lbs. but a shock load of even about 75lbs dropped 2 feet would break them every time :)
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Tito the Turtle » Jan 3, 2012 12:22 am

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD HE USED THAT THING FOR A DROP!??!?!!??!!?!

X.X They'll be pulling him out of a hole one day to put him back into one. :down:
Troglophile
Tito the Turtle
Frequent Poster

Postby KD5NRH » Jan 3, 2012 6:00 am

Chads93GT wrote:Nott to defend this retard, but he wasn't using keychain biners or the "not for climbing" biners. He was using the steel goofy shaped biners that all of the cable machines at the gym use, while they arent as strong as what we use, they are pretty damn strong.

Actually, it looks like the ones I get at the farm supply store for hooking chain to things that have loops way too small for the size chain they need. IIRC, they're rated higher than most climbing biners, but they weigh a ton.

They will handle yanking a Mazda Protege out of body-deep mud with a 4WD Dodge truck, so I'd trust them to climb or rappel...if I could carry enough of them to do either. I have used them to improvise safety rigs to keep trees from falling the wrong way, and on a couple of occasions to rig a handline to get in and out of muddy ditches.
KD5NRH
Occasional Poster

Previous

Return to On Rope!