Servicing the Rock Exotica

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Servicing the Rock Exotica

Postby Chads93GT » Aug 4, 2011 10:26 pm

Trying to set up a rope treadmill in my basement and I noticed that the wheel on my rock exotica is really deflecting side to side. I took the wheel off with a 5mm alan wrench and examined the bearing. it appears to be the same bearings you will find in skateboard wheels or roller blade wheels. Can anyone confirm this? Im wondering also if the nylon bushing washers are also shot.Has anyone else serviced their rollers before?
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Servicing the Rock Exotica

Postby chh » Aug 5, 2011 5:13 pm

That's curious. I would guess that it's the nylon bushing since nylon will wear out before bearings, barring other extreme circumstances. Allthough, it isn't unheard of for bearings to get worn, though it's usually in things that see a lot of heavy use. Though I've seen several pulleys broken from use, I'll say that I've not yet seen one get worn out. Has the pulley always been used in a recreational/body weight scenarios? Have you taken it anywhere repeatedly that is extremely sandy? Hauled it through the dirt? Pulled trucks with it? Otherwise abused it?
Anyway, I would think bearings would be relatively easy to find or order if you can determine their size. The bushing on the other hand will probably have to come from the manufacturer if I'm picturing the type of bushing correctly that is.
Your words of caution are no match for my disaster style!
chh
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: caleb
NSS #: 55745

Postby chh » Aug 5, 2011 5:15 pm

Oh, wait, are you talking about your chest roller or a pulley?
chh
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Chads93GT » Aug 5, 2011 8:31 pm

Haha chest roller. I was like, pulled out a truck, wtf??? But the bearing really looks like the same ones in skateboard/rollerblade wheels. you are probably right about the nylon bushings being worn out. I guess I could pull the other side off and micrometer the difference of each since i have a double roller. I just notice when I climb that im not 100% straigh tup and down so the roller does get a little side loaded from time to time. The gate on the side actually has a groove worn into it from where the rope rubs on it.......
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby chh » Aug 6, 2011 9:19 am

I've only ever had a single simmons, and I haven't used it in years. However I have a theory about double rollers. No matter how close the rollers are to one another your body is always going to want to drift towards the outer edge of whichever roller you are using because you naturally want to center the unit on your chest, but you only use one side for the rope.
Do you use the other side for a QAS or is it largely unused? Try switching sides on the roller, or do you do that already from time to time?
You might also want to check to see that axle is still true and not bent.
chh
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Cody JW » Aug 6, 2011 10:19 am

Do not have the RE , but I did have to replace the roller assembly on my Simmons from a bushing to a bearing in a short amount of time . On Rope says that if you are barrel chested or over 200 lbs ( guilty on both accounts your honor) that you need a bearing as the bushing will not last long. I can attest that is fact. Do REs come in bushing and bearing ??
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Postby gdstorrick » Aug 6, 2011 11:01 am

Post deleted.
Last edited by gdstorrick on Jul 8, 2012 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
gdstorrick
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Gary Storrick
NSS #: 12967
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Pittsburgh

Postby chh » Aug 7, 2011 9:10 am

gdstorrick wrote:
chh wrote:However I have a theory about double rollers. No matter how close the rollers are to one another your body is always going to want to drift towards the outer edge of whichever roller you are using because you naturally want to center the unit on your chest, but you only use one side for the rope.

Look closely. My double REs each have one centered and one off-center roller; however, that doesn't guarantee that anyone will climb perfectly centered.

Gary
:bat2:

Huh. I'd not noticed that. That's clever.
chh
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby gdstorrick » Aug 7, 2011 9:50 am

Post deleted.
Last edited by gdstorrick on Jul 8, 2012 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
gdstorrick
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Gary Storrick
NSS #: 12967
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Pittsburgh

Postby Chads93GT » Aug 7, 2011 4:47 pm

I never noticed it was interchangable by flipping it, but my harness is sewn in so thats not possible anyway. Learn something new every day.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby mooreshire » Aug 7, 2011 5:57 pm

This might work.... but I haven't tried it myself. Measure everything carefully before ordering, and know that I wouldn't necessarily encourage this approach for maintaining life-trusting climbing gear but it should work fine for a chest roller... I own an R.E. double too, but haven't serviced it myself - purely theoretical!

http://www.mcmaster.com/#ball-bearings- ... -bearings/

Go to Ball and Roller Bearings at the top of the list, you'll find drop down menus for Shaft Diameter, Outside Diameter, and Width - good luck. Keep an eye on that Dynamic Radial Load Capacity Range. If there's nothing in the size you've measured then I would resist the urge to try the next size over.

As for the other;

http://www.mcmaster.com/#nylon-bushings/

Go to Sleeve Bearings and specify Nylon, your best bet might be looking in Thrust Bearings for something that precisely matches your measurements.

Good luck again. :bananabat:
mooreshire
Occasional Poster

Name: James Mooreshire
NSS #: 45688
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cascade Grotto

Return to On Rope!