Fitness Question

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Fitness Question

Postby Cavo Profundus » Jul 25, 2011 8:34 pm

The situation: Out of shape 60 year old man, recently recovered from back surgery. Attempted my first vertical training recently and had a GREAT deal of trouble with ascending (frog system). Could not change over to my rack. Changing from rack to Petzl Simple Descender to help with the change over.

The question: Can anyone recommend specific exercises to strengthen the core and those particular muscle groups used in ascending with a frog system? Not afraid of exercise since I exercise daily to lose the weight I gained and get back into good general condition, I just need to feel like I am doing the right program.

"Par bulla quod vita, Cavo Profundus"
Cavo Profundus
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 63212

Re: Fitness Question

Postby Frank_Rac » Jul 26, 2011 12:39 pm

Talking core, I happen to like Pilates, Yoga and Tai Chi.
The frog system is primarily lower body based so working the core and legs are key.
Walking, jogging, hiking, cycling, swimming are good bets to tone the lower body.

But one word of caution (especially since you mention back surgery), have you discussed this with your doctor and gotten his recommendation as to what a proper recovery period is first before starting any type of excerise program (sorry,it's just the in-grained medical professional in me talking...)
Frank_Rac
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 63061
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Met Grotto

Postby Cavo Profundus » Jul 26, 2011 1:36 pm

Thanks. I've talked with the surgeon, my doctor and my physical therapist. Everyone is OK with the exercise at this point. Some of them think I'm a little crazy to take up caving at my age, but I've always been about half a bubble out of plumb!
Cavo Profundus
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 63212

Postby Chads93GT » Jul 26, 2011 3:14 pm

Don't make the mistake of thinking that core support comes only from the lower abs. You must have a strong core all around, not just the front. Lower back and obliques as well. The stronger your core, the stronger your body can get. Also, don't just do cable pull downs to simulate pulling your upper body into the rope while frogging. Design a workout to make your entire body strong, not just a efw parts. Your chest compliments your upper back as your abs compliment your lower back.building strength in one while forgetting the other leads to problems. Good luck, start light, high reps. If you are truely out of shape, you need a lifestyle change. Good luck! Bad habits are hard to break!
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby gdstorrick » Jul 26, 2011 5:26 pm

Post deleted.
Last edited by gdstorrick on Jul 8, 2012 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
gdstorrick
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Gary Storrick
NSS #: 12967
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Pittsburgh

Postby chh » Jul 26, 2011 7:12 pm

Another vote for pilates or yoga or both. Tai Chi is also excellent for the legs as well as the core. There are about a billion excercises you can do with a yoga mat and one of those large inflatable exercise balls. I'm sure you've seen and/or used them at your physical therapist. If you are still seeing them they should be able to design a home conditioning program for you in about 5 minutes.
Barring any physical injury or pain from other things, 99% of problems with ascending systems can be solved with practice, practice, practice.
With LOTS of practice you will figure out how to tune your system and develop a muscle memory for it, just like any other basic motor skill. Talk to other users of your system and also look at other systems. Use them as well if possible. Figure out what works for you.
As far as a frog goes there are some basic things that are on many of the forum subjects in this category but most of them center around:
-having the length of your cowstails and footloop adjusted properly for your body
-push down, not out, with your legs
-keep your chest harness snug

Good luck!
Your words of caution are no match for my disaster style!
chh
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: caleb
NSS #: 55745

Postby NSS8921 » Jul 27, 2011 12:07 pm

Cavo, I am 61 and like to play around with climbing systems. The best I found for minimizing back distress is a Mitchell sytem with a seat ascender bungied to the block. The technique is to use this like a frog system - sit, raise high and low ascenders, then stand. The bite is not huge, but you'll get there. This is a good system for ropewalking, too, and you can ease into ropewalking by ropewalking a few steps each climb, gradually building up.

As mentioned above, practise, practise, practise.

John
NSS8921
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 8921
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Return to On Rope!