Most vertical feet on rope in one month

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Most vertical feet on rope in one month

Postby BrianC » Jun 30, 2011 9:49 pm

Just wondering what the most vertical feet on rope anyone has climbed in one month? Jon Mnich has just finished climbing 5332' tonight at Cagles Chasm, that's 29x184' bringing his total monthly vertical assent to over 53000' simply to much for me and my aging body to comprehend. :kewl:
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Most vertical feet on rope in one month

Postby Stridergdm » Jun 30, 2011 10:55 pm

Wow. I'm on the other hand... a wimp. I think my BEST month was probably under 1000'.

I've got to get cracking!
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Greg Moore
Primary Grotto Affiliation: RPI Grotto

Postby self-deleted_user » Jul 1, 2011 12:10 am

Uhmm hmm ok does it have to be a month month or just any set of 30ish days? 'cause if the latter I can put speleofest and SERA together...uhh the tree at Speleofest that was prolly 25 ft? (I'm really bad at height estimation) I did that twice trying out a ropewalker and once with my own frog messing with some things so uh...75 ft. Then about 100 ft in a tree at SERA and then Fountain Pit which is lik 100ft. So uh...best month is 275ft. Go me? :rofl: I assume you mean climbing....if both rappelling and climbing then definitly may 'cause Stephen's Gap is what, 140...did that twice, and Pipeside which is what....65? so up to 410. And then 75 * 2 at speleofest making 660 the grand total for May.

...still pathetic I'm sure. :sad:

That what I get for living in a sucky state.
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Chads93GT » Jul 1, 2011 6:07 am

BrianC wrote:Just wondering what the most vertical feet on rope anyone has climbed in one month? Jon Mnich has just finished climbing 5332' tonight at Cagles Chasm, that's 29x184' bringing his total monthly vertical assent to over 53000' simply to much for me and my aging body to comprehend. :kewl:

I ran into him at Fantastic Pit the last time I was there. He had just done it 6 or 8 times, I forget which. After he told us what he was doing, he was kind enough to derig and let us use the main rig point. He left his rope and what not and came back the next day to do it again. dude has legs of steele.

This guy is 60ish, very wiry, missing some teeth, right?
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby paul » Jul 1, 2011 6:15 am

UK caver Rob Eavis of Sheffield University Speleological Society managed to prusik up Titan (a 141.5 metre/464 feet shaft in Peak Cavern in Derbyshire, UK) several times on Satuday 6th Spetember and raised money for Cancer Research UK. He had planned on a Mile of prusiking but unfortunately Rob chose a very wet weekend in the Peak and conditions were very wet! Rob still managed to last 7 hours on a rope and prusik 1,630 metres/5,347 feet! :clap:
paul
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Paul Lydon

Postby BrianC » Jul 1, 2011 7:19 am

Chads93GT wrote:
BrianC wrote:Just wondering what the most vertical feet on rope anyone has climbed in one month? Jon Mnich has just finished climbing 5332' tonight at Cagles Chasm, that's 29x184' bringing his total monthly vertical assent to over 53000' simply to much for me and my aging body to comprehend. :kewl:

I ran into him at Fantastic Pit the last time I was there. He had just done it 6 or 8 times, I forget which. After he told us what he was doing, he was kind enough to derig and let us use the main rig point. He left his rope and what not and came back the next day to do it again. dude has legs of steele.

This guy is 60ish, very wiry, missing some teeth, right?

That is Bob, Jon is in his mid 20's. They climb together frequently.
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby self-deleted_user » Jul 1, 2011 8:19 am

paul wrote:UK caver Rob Eavis of Sheffield University Speleological Society managed to prusik up Titan (a 141.5 metre/464 feet shaft in Peak Cavern in Derbyshire, UK) several times on Satuday 6th Spetember and raised money for Cancer Research UK. He had planned on a Mile of prusiking but unfortunately Rob chose a very wet weekend in the Peak and conditions were very wet! Rob still managed to last 7 hours on a rope and prusik 1,630 metres/5,347 feet! :clap:
holy moley...
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby BrianC » Jul 1, 2011 8:47 am

paul wrote:UK caver Rob Eavis of Sheffield University Speleological Society managed to prusik up Titan (a 141.5 metre/464 feet shaft in Peak Cavern in Derbyshire, UK) several times on Satuday 6th Spetember and raised money for Cancer Research UK. He had planned on a Mile of prusiking but unfortunately Rob chose a very wet weekend in the Peak and conditions were very wet! Rob still managed to last 7 hours on a rope and prusik 1,630 metres/5,347 feet! :clap:

Certainly on a prusik that is incredible! Jon's best day so far is about 8,000 feet using a Mitchell, with a goal of two miles in one day.
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby chh » Jul 1, 2011 9:16 am

That certainly is a feather in your hat, but why? Is he trying for a record, or raising money, or does he just like to climb rope THAT much?
Your words of caution are no match for my disaster style!
chh
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: caleb
NSS #: 55745

Postby Stridergdm » Jul 1, 2011 9:41 am

chh wrote:

That certainly is a feather in your hat, but why? Is he trying for a record, or raising money, or does he just like to climb rope THAT much?

I've got to admit, if I had the time and room to setup a rope treadmill (hoping to in a year or so) I'd probably do a few hundred feet a day if I could. Great work-out.

I suspect the most I've done in one month is during NCRC weeklong when a few of us instructors do 75-100' of rope every night as a workout, plus what we do during the day (which unfortunately isn't much. The students tend to have all the fun on rope, we just have to watch them.)
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Stridergdm » Jul 1, 2011 9:44 am

Umm, unless English feet are a bit different, it sounds like he actually succeeded? Your use of "unfortunately" makes it sound like he didn't meet his plan.
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Carl Amundson » Jul 1, 2011 9:47 am

Damn and I thought I was doing good with climbing a vertical mile on my 8 day TAG trip a few weeks ago.
Carl Amundson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Carl Amundson
NSS #: 50213
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Front Royal and Tri-State Grottos

Postby Mark Ostrander » Jul 1, 2011 1:25 pm

junkman wrote:Damn and I thought I was doing good with climbing a vertical mile on my 8 day TAG trip a few weeks ago.

Carl, You WERE doing good with your climbing. Jon is just a gift from God.
Mark Ostrander
Frequent Poster

Postby Tim White » Jul 2, 2011 10:23 am

There are a number of people out there that climb a LOT and just don't talk about it. Kenny Chandler for one...over a mile very, very often and he has been doing that for 20 years!
Be safe,
Tim White 26949 RL FE

Southeastern Region Coordinator - NCRC
Editor, Nylon Highway
Senior Technical Manager - Over the Edge, Inc.
Tim White
Global Moderator

Postby BrianC » Jul 2, 2011 11:23 am

Tim White wrote:There are a number of people out there that climb a LOT and just don't talk about it. Kenny Chandler for one...over a mile very, very often and he has been doing that for 20 years!

very true, Jon's goal is working up to two miles in one day!
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Next

Return to On Rope!