Report on sewn webbing joints

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Report on sewn webbing joints

Postby Bob Thrun » Jun 27, 2011 2:50 am

From time to time, the topic of sewing webbing comes up here. Experimental data on the subject are scarce. I came across a report done at the Royal Aircraft Establishment. Some Observations on the Behaviour of Superimposed and Lap Sewn Joints. This is a British report, but it is posted on the website of the Defense Technical Information Center, an American agency, and carries an accession number from the National Technical Information Service, another American agency. It is at http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD ... tTRDoc.pdf

I have not digested the report yet.

It is a good thing that DTIC has the report. It is available from NTIS only as microfiche or hard copy for $27 or $33 because NTIS is required by law to be self-supporting. All or most of the government reports that NTIS has are public domain.
Bob Thrun
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Report on sewn webbing joints

Postby Scott McCrea » Jun 27, 2011 7:24 am

Thanks, Bob! I enjoy the sewing topic.

Bob Thrun wrote:I have not digested the report yet.

Let us know how that goes for you. It gave me indigestion. Though, I imagine it will show predictable results—more stitches equals stronger joints up to the point of the webbing breaking strength and stronger thread requires fewer stitches.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Return to On Rope!