Bridge Day

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Bridge Day

Postby Chads93GT » Jun 20, 2011 6:58 pm

is anyone wanting to goto bridge day that doesnt have a team? All my freinds here from MO and IL had 5 people back out on them and they need to come up with 5 people. message me
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Bridge Day

Postby Chads93GT » Jun 25, 2011 10:20 am

2 more people are needed for the team. They already have a rope so there is no rope cost. If you want to do bridge day. let me know asap. July 8th is the deadline.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Stridergdm » Jun 25, 2011 10:59 am

I might be interested. I'll have to give it some serious thought in the next week.... it'll certainly be the longest drop I've ever done!
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Greg Moore
Primary Grotto Affiliation: RPI Grotto

Postby NZcaver » Jun 25, 2011 1:00 pm

Tempting, but geographically awkward for me right now.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Chads93GT » Jun 25, 2011 1:21 pm

Stridergdm wrote:I might be interested. I'll have to give it some serious thought in the next week.... it'll certainly be the longest drop I've ever done!

I am still contemplating on actually doing the drop but im sure I will do it once im there............lol IF you decide, let me know asap so i can put you in touch with the team leader etc
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby nathanroser » Jun 25, 2011 2:16 pm

It's a long drive from New York, but there is likely to be some people going from Syracuse that weekend so I could catch a ride and do the rappel, when is the deadline for signing up and what parts of the span are available to drop from?
nathanroser
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Nathan Roser
NSS #: 62848
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby Chads93GT » Jun 25, 2011 7:46 pm

muddyface wrote:It's a long drive from New York, but there is likely to be some people going from Syracuse that weekend so I could catch a ride and do the rappel, when is the deadline for signing up and what parts of the span are available to drop from?

July 8th is the deadline but they have been known to cut that off EARLY!!! .and no idea bout the span. I don't know how they do that. I thought they had a lottery to figure out where each team rigs their ropes. No clue! lol
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby nathanroser » Jun 25, 2011 9:45 pm

That's looking pretty early so I doubt I'd make it, but skipping some classes at school the first week to go to OTR is looking like a great idea.
nathanroser
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Nathan Roser
NSS #: 62848
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby Chads93GT » Jun 30, 2011 1:07 pm

Thanks everyone. Their roster has been filled.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby reeffish1073 » Jun 30, 2011 4:20 pm

Just curious...... Whats the individual price for the event????
John Christie
NSS-58065
Chair / Conservation Chair
Flittermouse grotto
Russell County Director VSS
reeffish1073
Prolific Poster

Name: john christie
NSS #: 58065
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse grotto

Postby Chads93GT » Jun 30, 2011 4:42 pm

No idea, i think its something like 143 or 150 for the weekend. not really sure though.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Amazingracer » Jun 30, 2011 5:01 pm

Chads93GT wrote:
muddyface wrote:It's a long drive from New York, but there is likely to be some people going from Syracuse that weekend so I could catch a ride and do the rappel, when is the deadline for signing up and what parts of the span are available to drop from?

July 8th is the deadline but they have been known to cut that off EARLY!!! .and no idea bout the span. I don't know how they do that. I thought they had a lottery to figure out where each team rigs their ropes. No clue! lol

July 8 is the hard deadline, to submit a group of 12+ people for consideration (never heard or seen it cut off early). One week later they do a lottery to see A. If your team gets to go to Bridge Day and B. What your rig number is.[Side Note: if you are not chosen via lottery, you get your individual fee back but not the team fee] If your group was accepted and you still have more folks you want to add you have till Mid August to do so.

They rap off the South End of the Bridge. Rig teams walk from North End to Rig spot via catwalk, then rest of team and everyone else enters through the South End, then end of day de-rig walks to North End.
As far as rig numbers go. Even numbers on the West side of the Bridge. Odd numbers on East. Low numbers are closer to the River (longer rappel and nicer landing area). Middle numbers (10-14) are on the railroad tracks (beware of trains lol). The higher numbers are on the steep, heavily vegetated slope south of the RR tracks (shorter rappels (40-50ft) and terrible landing area (think rappeling through a tree))
Last edited by Amazingracer on Jun 30, 2011 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amazingracer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kyle Gochenour
NSS #: 58846
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby Marduke » Jun 30, 2011 5:03 pm

$143 plus any team fees.
Warning: Don't use this forum! Only armchair cavers and trolls reside here.
Marduke
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Chads93GT » Jun 30, 2011 5:08 pm

Amazingracer wrote:
Chads93GT wrote:

They rap off the South End of the Bridge. Rig teams walk from North End to Rig spot via catwalk, then rest of team and everyone else enters through the South End, then end of day de-rig walks to North End.
Chad is correct on lottery. Lottery determines A. if your team gets to attend Bridge Day and B. If chosen, your number is your Rappel point. Even numbers on the West side of the Bridge. Odd numbers on East. Low numbers are closer to the River (longer rappel and nicer landing area). Middle numbers (10-14) are on the railroad tracks (beware of trains lol). The higher numbers are on the steep, heavily vegetated slope south of the RR tracks (shorter rappels (40-50ft) and terrible landing area (think rappeling through a tree))

so.....where is the safety team's rope rigged at? lol that is the only one I care about :D
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Amazingracer » Jun 30, 2011 5:16 pm

They are usually in the middle somewhere (they were 13 or 15 last year). Also there is a safety officer from the safety team at every rappel station. They are your safety officer for the day and will watch you rig the rope, and watch you rig into the rope as well. They get swapped out through out the day, but some one is always there. They're are also some on the ground too.

Also too, when rigging your rope, be sure to attach it to the anchor BEFORE lowering it, last year a team dropped there rope during the rigging process :facepalm:

And pro-tip for fast derig: Lower the rope to the ground with 900ft of para cord on a spool, use a power drill to spool the cord back on to the rope. This has worked wonders for us over the years.

Also, I edited my above post concerning what the dates and lottery mean too.
Amazingracer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kyle Gochenour
NSS #: 58846
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Next

Return to On Rope!