rope warning fake climbing rope

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Re: rope warning fake climbing rope

Postby MoonshineR DavE » Dec 14, 2011 9:53 am

I was on a trip about a year ago and someone pulled out some of this rope to rig a 25' drop. When I mentioned that it was not rappelling rope, they said "Well I was planning on doubling it" :yikes: I politely declined to go any further in the cave with them and waited on them in the car. They did however decide to use a different rope after I voiced my concerns. :clap:
MoonshineR DavE
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » Dec 19, 2011 5:24 pm

I just found that Reddit has a caving subReddit. This picture will go with this thread nicely. The dude says it is cheap hardware store rope and they only use it for handlines and it is better than nothing. I might have to disagree. It is an interesting variation of the caver's coil, tho.

Blah, the pic is too big to post here, here's the link: http://i.imgur.com/L8oWJ.jpg
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby wyandottecaver » Dec 19, 2011 6:32 pm

looks like an ATC there.......... I bet the camelbak bite tube worked well too :big grin:
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby LukeM » Dec 21, 2011 9:21 am

Scott McCrea wrote:I just found that Reddit has a caving subReddit. This picture will go with this thread nicely. The dude says it is cheap hardware store rope and they only use it for handlines and it is better than nothing. I might have to disagree. It is an interesting variation of the caver's coil, tho.

Blah, the pic is too big to post here, here's the link: http://i.imgur.com/L8oWJ.jpg

Howdy fellow Redditor. I had to shake my head at that post. /r/caving is a really good place to meet and educate new cavers though. I'd say much more so than here.
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Luke Mazza
NSS #: 59317
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby NZcaver » Dec 21, 2011 2:42 pm

LukeM wrote:I had to shake my head at that post. /r/caving is a really good place to meet and educate new cavers though. I'd say much more so than here.

That site is news to me. Wondering why it's a better place to meet and educate cavers - because it gets more traffic from the random public? Had a quick look and there's some good advice there but also a lot of random chaff and off-base "expert" advice. A bit like here in some ways, I suppose. :shrug:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby LukeM » Dec 21, 2011 3:36 pm

What I meant was I've seen more opportunities over a given amount of time to step in and share caving knowledge with someone who's just starting out in caving, or doing something dangerous. A number of times someone has posted a picture of themselves caving without a helmet and it has almost always led to a positive discussion about safe caving practices. Seems that more often than not those posting on CaveChat already have a fair amount of knowledge. Probably a lot of inexperienced lurkers though.
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Luke Mazza
NSS #: 59317
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby Ch33s3n1p » Feb 14, 2012 10:17 pm

Look Home Depot has ice climbing rope now! Just make sure you get the new 1/2" size. Safe working load is 240lb so it should be good for about 60% of cavers too. :rofl:

Ch33s3n1p
Occasional Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: DCG

Postby Stridergdm » Feb 14, 2012 11:41 pm

Ch33s3n1p wrote:Look Home Depot has ice climbing rope now! Just make sure you get the new 1/2" size. Safe working load is 240lb so it should be good for about 60% of cavers too. :rofl:

Damn. That's actually probably something should mention to the Home Depot Lawyers. Seriously, the photo on the label is HIGHLY misleading. I mean I'm not much for warnings like, "Do not trim bushes by holding mower vertically" but on the other hand, this picture does encourage bad behavior.
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Greg Moore
Primary Grotto Affiliation: RPI Grotto

Previous

Return to On Rope!