Petzl gri gri 2 for caving

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Re: Petzl gri gri 2 for caving

Postby bladerunnerevan » Apr 5, 2014 10:14 pm

Absolutely do not use a grigri. In my experience it is difficult to find a good speed, its either to fast or to slow. The grigri is more suited to belaying. Caves are rough. What would happen if you broke off the small plastic handle or the cam wore out mid way down a particularly dirty long rappel. Any funny looking thing like grigri should stay out of caves. I've only used one once in a cave to test it out and I will never go back. Maybe it would work fine for some lighter caving work, especially if you are a climber and already own the device. If you want something specifically for caving then stick with a rack or bobbin.
bladerunnerevan
Infrequent Poster

Postby kdemarest » Feb 16, 2016 1:31 pm

I have used Grigri2 for caving on a dry static rope on both ascents and descents up to 60 feet. It worked well for both. Plenty of control in either direction. The ascent is more work than frogging, but switching from ascent to descent was incredibly easy because I didn't need to change the rigging of the Grigri2 at all. I just left it on my belt. I have not yet tested it with wet/muddy rope. I intend to buy a static length and give it a try in a safe environment to find out.
kdemarest
Infrequent Poster

Name: Ken Demarest
NSS #: 67184
Primary Grotto Affiliation: UT Grotto

Postby kdemarest » Feb 16, 2016 1:34 pm

I think the above response is too harsh. I have no trouble with pacing descent with a Grigri 2, and for a 60 foot ascent/descent on dry static line it worked perfectly. No evidence yet regarding wet or muddy rope, and no evidence yet on longer ascents or descents.
kdemarest
Infrequent Poster

Name: Ken Demarest
NSS #: 67184
Primary Grotto Affiliation: UT Grotto

Previous

Return to On Rope!