Ascender Slings/Seat Belt Webbing

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Re: Ascender Slings/Seat Belt Webbing

Postby NZcaver » May 24, 2011 4:40 pm

Chads93GT wrote:Why no one else caught this is beyond me, but you only have 1 point of contact.

Yeah, it seems that way. Should really have something connecting both ascenders to your seat harness.

Your system sounds just like a classic texas system.

The way I read it, the system seems more like the old classic Jumar system or rock climbers jugging setup where one ascender is connected to one foot, and the other ascender is connected to the other foot. Probably the least efficient type of climbing system. A Texas is a little more efficient and looks like this.

NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby GroundquestMSA » May 24, 2011 4:50 pm

GroundquestMSA wrote: If the lower ascender ever fails you will be a grease spot as you arent hooked to your upper ascender. Your system sounds just like a classic texas system. A freind climbed out of Cagles Chasm with a texas system once. 186'. It almost killed him. took 45 minutes and his arms were 100% fried and he was a fit guy. Takes me 5 minutes.

If my lower ascender failed I would be hanging by my other foot, which is only slightly better and possibly the state preceding that of being a grease spot. That's part of the reason I've used slipknots. While I'm very much in awe of your powers of ascension, I am puzzled at the improbable ineptitude of your inferiorly equipped companion. I'm not a exactly strapping but I have used my sad, pitiful methods to ascend out of pits of 30, 50, and 80 feet. I also recently did an above ground overhang that was at least 90. I have never been on the rope for more than 5 minutes and I have never had any arm fatigue, the legs do all the work. Or perhaps it's the last 96' that kills you.

I'm starting to see that other methods allow a longer stroke. I'll have to experiment. I'm trying not to buy things I don't need.
If I add another sling so that each ascender has one to the foot and one to the harness, will that at least satisfy the safety concerns?
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » May 24, 2011 5:02 pm

GroundquestMSA wrote:If I add another sling so that each ascender has one to the foot and one to the harness, will that at least satisfy the safety concerns?

From a safety standpoint, that would be an improvement. But not having seen your system, it would be difficult to say if that alone satisfies safety concerns.

Have you seen this post with links to studies comparing the efficiency of a few different major climbing systems? It's not exactly beginner stuff, but it might give you a few options to try.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby pub » May 24, 2011 11:54 pm

I too am a beginner in the vertical world with noone locally to learn from or to ask questions to. I started with a Black Diamond BOD harness with many configurations of equipment and eventually ended up with a basic frog rig.
GroundquestMSA wrote:I'm trying not to buy things I don't need.
It would be helpful if you tell what your existing gear are, esp. make & model of your harness & ascenders, so appropriate suggestions can be made.

It seems you can attach your left-handed ascender directly to your harness to act as a croll (chest ascender). It will be higher than a normal croll/caving harness setup but it’ll give the added safety you need and you’ll be able to rest by sitting down. :waving:
Balincaguin comes from the Zambal phrase, "Bali lan caguing" meaning "house of bats."
This was the former name of the Municipality of Mabini, Pangasinan, when it was part of the Province of Zambales (of Mt. Pinatubo Volcano fame).
pub
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: jerry rendon
NSS #: 61437
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Balincaguin Conservancy Grotto [Primary] + SoCal Grotto

Postby cavemud2 » May 25, 2011 6:58 am

Would it be possible for you to post some pics of your setup? I think that would better help everyone understand what you are working with.
Randy Gandy Club 2011 :bat sticker:
cavemud2
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 62,925
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Parkersburg Area Grotto

Previous

Return to On Rope!