Basic Ascending Question

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Re: Basic Ascending Question

Postby Patrick Wilson » Jun 23, 2011 1:08 pm

Seems like everyone uses frog except me. I'm on ropewalker. Going to War Eagle for the first time Saturday, trying to picture getting over the flowstone lip with ropewalker in my head, and everything's going fine til I pop the rope out of the chest roller, feel like I'm going to fall backwards, with nothing to put my feet against. Come to think of it, I don't think I've had to really do any severely undercut lips yet. Any suggesions, other than an etrier??
Patrick Wilson
NSS 59279 RE
Patrick Wilson
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 59279RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Chattanooga Grotto

Postby Marduke » Jun 23, 2011 1:22 pm

Just turn your shoulder to the lip. Don't need to come out of chest box for war eagle.

Rig the bolts and it goes smooth.
Warning: Don't use this forum! Only armchair cavers and trolls reside here.
Marduke
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Chads93GT » Jun 23, 2011 4:12 pm

I use a ropewalker almost exclusively and never have a problem with horribly undercut lips. don't you use a QAS? That will keep you from flipping over backwards. And if yours is too long, is suggest buying an adjustable QAS for onrope ;) rolling onto your shoulder helps too. gotta do what ya gotta do.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Patrick Wilson » Jun 23, 2011 6:45 pm

Chads93GT wrote:I use a ropewalker almost exclusively and never have a problem with horribly undercut lips. don't you use a QAS? That will keep you from flipping over backwards. And if yours is too long, is suggest buying an adjustable QAS for onrope ;) rolling onto your shoulder helps too. gotta do what ya gotta do.

Yeah, I have an adjustable QAS. I guess it's more or less that feeling of not being "held upright" when you pop the chest roller off, kind of confuses your senses. BUT, I guess I'll give the rolling onto the shoulder without popping out of the roller thing a shot, never tried it before.
Patrick Wilson
NSS 59279 RE
Patrick Wilson
Prolific Poster

Postby Chads93GT » Jun 23, 2011 9:53 pm

I cheat. i disconnect the roller but I also use a frogging croll as a 3rd attachment so i dont get that. I still use a qas for lips so sometimes im attached at 4 points, but having the frogging croll makes crossing some lips very easy.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Patrick Wilson » Jun 24, 2011 7:20 am

Chads93GT wrote:I cheat. i disconnect the roller but I also use a frogging croll as a 3rd attachment so i dont get that. I still use a qas for lips so sometimes im attached at 4 points, but having the frogging croll makes crossing some lips very easy.

A frogging croll, eh? Now that's an interesting thought.
Patrick Wilson
NSS 59279 RE
Patrick Wilson
Prolific Poster

Postby Chads93GT » Jun 24, 2011 7:39 am

KG4YUV wrote:
Chads93GT wrote:I cheat. i disconnect the roller but I also use a frogging croll as a 3rd attachment so i dont get that. I still use a qas for lips so sometimes im attached at 4 points, but having the frogging croll makes crossing some lips very easy.

A frogging croll, eh? Now that's an interesting thought.

Yeah, just put the croll on the maillion and frog harness on like you're going to frog. I use a cowstail as well, then ya just put your ropewalker on and you have the best of both systems. the speed of a ropewalker and the simpleness of a frog and cowstail. Allows me to climb hands free if I choose to. Im usually the top climber on tandem climbs and it allows me to hold my off camera flash in one hand and my camera in the other and take photos while on the move going up pits. :D
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Patrick Wilson » Jun 25, 2011 5:02 pm

Well, the lip was passed without too much trouble, just a little awkward. Tried doing the shoulder method, that did nothing for me, or I wasn't doing it right, one or the other. I just persisted with jamming the QAS up as high as I could get it, putting my weight on it, then carefully pulling my croll up til I had enough room to move. Worked like a charm, didn't take very long at all. Oh and didn't take the rope out of the roller. :waving:
Patrick Wilson
NSS 59279 RE
Patrick Wilson
Prolific Poster

Previous

Return to On Rope!