Poor man’s nano-belay

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Poor man’s nano-belay

Postby pub » Mar 10, 2011 7:29 pm

I borrowed my friends rescue rack to try this idea… (was I bored?)

I threaded the rack like a nano-belay and rigged a 4:1 MA (minus its inefficiencies) with 6mm cord as the unloader. If I had one another Ultra Legere I’d put it on the lower attaché. As it is, it was easy to unload it when loaded with a 5-gallon jug (40+ lbs.). I’ll try heavier loads next time I rig a tree…

I tried rigging the unloader with 8mm cord but things were getting cramped inside the rack and the load rope sometimes pinches the cord too much. At least the 6mm cord has a harder sheath so it moves even when pinched.

A rescue rack with dual hyperbars would make rigging the 4:1 easier and keep the cord from rubbing with the load rope.

Is there anything unsafe about this setup?
Balincaguin comes from the Zambal phrase, "Bali lan caguing" meaning "house of bats."
This was the former name of the Municipality of Mabini, Pangasinan, when it was part of the Province of Zambales (of Mt. Pinatubo Volcano fame).
pub
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: jerry rendon
NSS #: 61437
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Balincaguin Conservancy Grotto [Primary] + SoCal Grotto

Re: Poor man’s nano-belay

Postby snoboy » Mar 10, 2011 8:25 pm

One comment - if you put the 1 Ultra Legere that you have on the Attache, then you would gain more efficiency - always put your best pullies closest to the hauling end of the system.
snoboy
Prolific Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: BC Speleological Federation

Postby pub » Mar 11, 2011 9:33 pm

Yep Snoboy, that’s how I originally rigged the unloader but sometimes when unloading, the u-frame lifts from the top attaché and the cord slips under the u-frame when the load is taken again. The Ultra Legere on the top attaché eliminates that problem.
I also tried the same with a j-frame and found it is possible to thread this setup mid-rope, pretty :kewl:
Balincaguin comes from the Zambal phrase, "Bali lan caguing" meaning "house of bats."
This was the former name of the Municipality of Mabini, Pangasinan, when it was part of the Province of Zambales (of Mt. Pinatubo Volcano fame).
pub
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Balincaguin Conservancy Grotto [Primary] + SoCal Grotto

Postby hunter » Mar 14, 2011 5:05 pm

Is there anything unsafe about this setup?

It wouldn't cause main line failure but I believe your red cord would be at risk of being cut by nylon-nylon rubbing if you did a significant lower. This would be exacerbated by any loading that shifted the main rope side to side.
hunter
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby pub » Mar 15, 2011 8:11 am

Hunter wrote:… red cord would be at risk of being cut by nylon-nylon rubbing if you did a significant lower. This would be exacerbated by any loading that shifted the main rope side to side.
I wondered about that too. The danger there is the top bar prevented from dropping down thus not locking the load.

However, I think lowering or raising in rescue situations are usually at a slow rate and it would be the job the one tending the belay rack to keep it functioning as intended. Btw, as a disclaimer, I have no rescue experience and recently became interested in learning.

As I originally posted, “A rescue rack with dual hyperbars would make rigging the 4:1 easier and keep the cord from rubbing with the load rope.” The unloading cord can be rigged outside the frame so that only the haul/belay rope is inside.
pub
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to On Rope!