Spiroll Rope Protectors

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Spiroll Rope Protectors

Postby pub » Feb 21, 2011 2:43 am

Adam Byrd wrote:I've seen those Spiroll pads that are made out of a tightly coiled plastic sheet that look pretty neat. Of course a cheaper alternative would be a section of an old garden hose. Jump to post >
The problem with an old garden hose is it can't be placed in the middle of a drop. There have been times we needed to protect the middle of rope from a rub point and the Spiroll might be better than trying to tie up a pad.

Spiroll website.

Has anyone tried these and what are their reviews?
Balincaguin comes from the Zambal phrase, "Bali lan caguing" meaning "house of bats."
This was the former name of the Municipality of Mabini, Pangasinan, when it was part of the Province of Zambales (of Mt. Pinatubo Volcano fame).
pub
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: jerry rendon
NSS #: 61437
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Balincaguin Conservancy Grotto [Primary] + SoCal Grotto

Re: Spiroll Rope Protectors

Postby NZcaver » Feb 21, 2011 3:27 am

I have one, but I don't use it much. It's a nice idea, and more compact than the velcro wrap-around pads I made up myself. But compared with those I find the Spirol more of a hassle to remove from the rope and replace again when I need to pass it.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby pub » Feb 21, 2011 3:35 am

Ah so... the good ole DIY trick! Would it be possible to post photos of your velcro wrap-around pads?
Balincaguin comes from the Zambal phrase, "Bali lan caguing" meaning "house of bats."
This was the former name of the Municipality of Mabini, Pangasinan, when it was part of the Province of Zambales (of Mt. Pinatubo Volcano fame).
pub
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Balincaguin Conservancy Grotto [Primary] + SoCal Grotto

Postby steven.millett » Feb 21, 2011 7:44 am

I've got one and use it all the time. I use it when there is an edge that the rope must pass before a drop. It's a pain to take on and off so don't use it where it needs to come on and off. Although, it is easy to slide up and down and I have used it on lips and just slid it up out of my way as I passed the lip before.
steven.millett
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 56243
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Central Connecticut Grotto

Postby pub » Feb 21, 2011 5:18 pm

Thanks for your feedback Steven. I guess we can get one and try it out. At least it will be another option for lips. :kewl:
pub
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Cody JW » Feb 21, 2011 6:51 pm

I have a Velcro one that is about a foot long that has a cord attached. I bought it from a caving vendor. It is compact and I carry it on all vertical trips but may not always use it. It is difficult to pass so I normally use it where the rope needs to be padded above where you get on and off. Now that we are padding rigging trees I like to carry many,the compact ones are nice for that reason.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Postby NZcaver » Feb 21, 2011 7:31 pm

pub wrote:Ah so... the good ole DIY trick! Would it be possible to post photos of your velcro wrap-around pads?

Sure. I constructed several of these pads about 15 years ago, from lengths of 3 inch tubular nylon webbing (used to be attached to ratchet tie-down straps for military trucks). With my industrial sewing machine I sewed each pair together down one side, and sewed velcro down the other side. I attached a webbing tab on one end, with a loop of cord to attach the pad to the rope.

These are heavier/bulkier than the newer Spirol design, but they've lasted me well. When placed against an edge they allow for the rope to move easily in a linear direction (useful for bouncy ascending, or for emergency hauling/lowering if you don't have the cord loop attached to the rope). They will accommodate 2 strands of 11mm rope.

Image Image
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Vertigo » Feb 21, 2011 8:03 pm

The main reason for buying Spirroll protectors is that they are way more compact and easier to use once you learn how to use them. But they are not easy to place below oneself. So, I would go with the other for those situations that you need to pad for the next guy. I like to avoid rigging pads to the rope most of the time. I find that most rope stretches too much and often the pads are pushed off the point you padded in the first place. :yikes: I usually trail the Spirrolls on rappel and leave them at the rub spots, picking them up on the way back out. It works great. Even better is a wrap around pad like NZ mentions attached to a bolt in the wall. :banana:
Vertigo
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby pub » Feb 23, 2011 3:27 am

Cody wrote:Now that we are padding rigging trees I like to carry many,the compact ones are nice for that reason.
We have recently started protecting our ropes (11mm & 9mm) from tree sap or juices by feeding them through 1” tubular webbing. This works at the end of the rope when tying a tensionless hitch or to support a pulley over a branch.

NZcaver wrote:Sure. I constructed several of these pads about 15 years ago, from lengths of 3 inch tubular nylon webbing (used to be attached to ratchet tie-down straps for military trucks). With my industrial sewing machine I sewed each pair together down one side, and sewed velcro down the other side. I attached a webbing tab on one end, with a loop of cord to attach the pad to the rope.
Thanks Jansen, we’re gonna try making some of these maybe out of seatbelt webbing; we don't have access to 3" tubulars.

Vertigo wrote:The main reason for buying Spirroll protectors is that they are way more compact and easier to use once you learn how to use them. (emphasis mine)
That’s true with just about anything and I think the Spirolls have their place.

Thanks all for your input. :clap:

[joke]Maybe the Spirolls could be marketed as “Rope balm” since it’s best as lip protection…[/joke]
pub
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Cody JW » Feb 23, 2011 8:19 am

Pub, We pad trees here not so much to protect the rope but to protect the trees. To save the bark where the rigging rope wraps around the tree.With this being in vogue now I carry more pads so I can protect the rigging tree and pad ledges.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Postby Chads93GT » Feb 23, 2011 8:52 am

Yeppers, its all to easy to girdle a tree and kill it. the living layer of the tree is only 2 cells thick so it doesnt take much to cut through it and kill the tree once the bark wears off.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby OpenTrackRacer » Feb 24, 2011 11:21 am

Ahhh, very interesting. This is just the thing we've been looking for. Just called and order four. Can't wait to try them out.

Thanks for the tip!
Underground Explorers
California Abandoned Mine Exploration
http://www.undergroundexplorers.com
OpenTrackRacer
Prolific Poster

Name: Mike Schriber
NSS #: 65042
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Southern California

Postby pub » Feb 25, 2011 3:33 am

Cody JW wrote:We pad trees here not so much to protect the rope but to protect the trees. To save the bark where the rigging rope wraps around the tree.With this being in vogue now I carry more pads so I can protect the rigging tree and pad ledges.
We don’t have the problem of “the favorite rigging tree” used by generations. SRT is in its infancy here so a tree might be rigged once in a couple years. It will take many many more generations here to wear the cork down to its cambium layer. Heck, most of the locals use BST (Bamboo Stick Technique) :rofl: or clinging vines to drop pits. :yikes:

We still pad our trees to protect the tree but mostly because of the possible rope damage by their latex and acidic resins; I guess in the states pine sap can also reek havoc on ropes.

OpenTrackRacer wrote:This is just the thing we've been looking for. Just called and order four. Can't wait to try them out.
Please let us know how they worked for you after you played with them. We are still considering buying them…
pub
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby OpenTrackRacer » Mar 10, 2011 7:33 pm

Just (finally) got the Spiroll rope protectors. They're very interesting. I'll report back once we've had a chance to use them.
Underground Explorers
California Abandoned Mine Exploration
http://www.undergroundexplorers.com
OpenTrackRacer
Prolific Poster

Name: Mike Schriber
NSS #: 65042
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Southern California

Postby pub » Mar 10, 2011 7:43 pm

Thanks OTR, I'm very interested in your feedback :kewl:
pub
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to On Rope!