rope treadmill

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

rope treadmill

Postby Downundercaver » Feb 19, 2011 5:25 am

So just a question if it is even possible but how would i go about making a rope treadmill or something that makes it seem like I'm never at the end of my rope. If it helps i have a 3.5 meter high garage.
Downundercaver
Frequent Poster

Name: Ben Mcalpine

Re: rope treadmill

Postby Carl Amundson » Feb 19, 2011 10:53 am

Here are a couple of links to rope treadmill documents.
One is a continuous loop style that requires a splice in the rope and the other is a self-belay method.

The self-belay method was originally posted by Chad McCain. I have added some observations from some work we were doing in a tree last OTR.
I currently have the self-belay system setup in my basement that has 10' ceilings.

continuous loop
https://docs.google.com/document/d/12sXfIYXKwZMWUfq5tiDg7z4ifbiEE3k9ivGMUvu_9z8/edit?hl=en&authkey=CPizu_QE

self-belay
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pURLPszg-Pmlon5_7qmdq8pz_WthvcGhIEeWFP-ye4Q/edit?hl=en&authkey=COiJ1fUH
Carl Amundson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Carl Amundson
NSS #: 50213
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Front Royal and Tri-State Grottos

Postby Downundercaver » Feb 20, 2011 8:13 am

Thanks mate I guess I have a weekend assignment to keep me occupied.
Downundercaver
Frequent Poster

Postby Downundercaver » Feb 20, 2011 8:13 am

Thanks mate I guess I have a weekend assignment to keep me occupied.
Downundercaver
Frequent Poster

Postby chh » Feb 20, 2011 10:19 am

There are also plenty of double braid kernmantle ropes around 11mm that can be easily spliced for nearly a full strength union. The splice will be slightly largher in diameter than the rest of the rope, instead of smaller, like the splice posted above, so you'll need to use appropriate pulleys and friction devices.
If I were installing a fixed treadmill, this would be the way I would go. No need for the backup rope.

Also, in regards to the splice junkman posted, if you have access to a beefy enough sewing machine, instead of whipping the splice you could run some bar tacks along the section where the sheaths overlap. I think this might retain some more of the strength of the sheath material and be less prone to wear and breakage than whipping twine. Though the flater profile might present a problem with your friction device if you are using a rack or something lke that. Also, with some fiddling, as suggested, you might find a filler cord that would make the union pretty close to the host rope's diameter and rounder.
Your words of caution are no match for my disaster style!
chh
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: caleb
NSS #: 55745

Postby Killian1 » Jan 19, 2012 9:15 pm

I still dont know y blue water or pmi or ne other company for that matter does not make a premade loop rope for just such an app. as the rope treadmill? or atleast custom make 1... has ne1 tryed calling a rope company 2 see if this is possable? i would love 2 have a treadmill like this in my home and would pay good money for 1 that i knew i would never have 2 mess with.
Killian1
Infrequent Poster

Name: Killian McCarthy

Return to On Rope!