interesting read on braking forces

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

interesting read on braking forces

Postby chh » Feb 12, 2011 11:47 am

I'm no mathematician, but there's some useable information in here anyway
http://www.jrre.org/att_frict.pdf
:banana_yay:
Your words of caution are no match for my disaster style!
chh
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: caleb
NSS #: 55745

Re: interesting read on braking forces

Postby NZcaver » Feb 12, 2011 5:10 pm

FYI - this link was previously posted in a discussion a couple of years ago here. :waving:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby pub » Feb 12, 2011 6:37 pm

TFS chh! I’m not a mathematician too and I’m new at ropework so the article has given me more to ponder. What really grabbed me, on the initial read, was:
S.W.Attaway wrote:This stick/slip type motion is similar to the dynamic release of energy during an earthquake. The rope stores its energy until the slip friction is exceeded and allows it to release. For 600-foot haul systems, a bounce of over 6 feet is not uncommon. (pg 15)

Jansen, the article was posted in the link in your post above, “heat production while rappelling,” but not really discussed. Maybe that’s because the article does not address heat production per se but we all know heat is a result of friction.

I think the article desires its own thread esp. since it includes stretch & bounce. It would be educational to hear other's comments on this.

Although the link to its reference is dead but I found another source for Physics for Cavers: Ropes, Loads, and Energy*, and it leads to another article, Artificial Rigging Anchors for the Present and Future.

*Another source shows this article was published in: NSS News [National Speleological Society USA] 48:12, December 1990, pp. 316-319
Balincaguin comes from the Zambal phrase, "Bali lan caguing" meaning "house of bats."
This was the former name of the Municipality of Mabini, Pangasinan, when it was part of the Province of Zambales (of Mt. Pinatubo Volcano fame).
pub
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: jerry rendon
NSS #: 61437
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Balincaguin Conservancy Grotto [Primary] + SoCal Grotto

Postby NZcaver » Feb 12, 2011 7:18 pm

pub wrote:Jansen, the article was posted in the link in your post above, “heat production while rappelling,” but not really discussed. Maybe that’s because the article does not address heat production per se but we all know heat is a result of friction.

I think the article desires its own thread esp. since it includes stretch & bounce. It would be educational to hear other's comments on this.

Good call, Jerry. Discuss away!
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Return to On Rope!